Poll - Stinger Owner Initial Quality

Have You Noticed any Quality Issues and if so From which Category(ies)?

• Yes - Exterior Fit and Finish

Votes: 68 16.8%
  • Yes - Interior Fit and Finish

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Yes - Squeaks and/or Rattles

Votes: 116 28.6%
  • Yes - Noise Vibration Harshness

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Yes - Electrical

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • Yes - Mechanical

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Yes - Technology

Votes: 55 13.6%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • No - Car is perfect!

Votes: 190 46.9%

• Total voters

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Hey Oz,

Yeah I'm getting the GT Silver/Black Interior, Not the GT-Line or 330SI. I don't do things by half. My understanding is there are different levels of GT in the US and Canada, and several trim levels of the 2 litre, but my point was we only have one GT version in Australia, and like many cars to the Australian market we get the highest specification. I'm not sure but it would appear to me that the different GT spec levels in the US were to meet certain price points, for example to get the Harmon Kardon system you have to buy a GT2, I may be wrong just an observation of difference between markets. I'd be interested to know what the difference is between the GT, GT1 and GT2 in the US/Canada from out friends over there.

Cheers,

Paul
Not quite right: GT is the first trim with the 3.3L engine; no sunroof, and a nine speaker factory stereo. GT1 has a sunroof and the Harman Kardon 15 speaker surround sound; GT2 has all that, plus nappa leather trim, HUD, the full driver assist package and a powered hatch lid.

Last edited:

PxbVic

Not quite right: GT is the first trim with the 3.3L engine; no sunroof, and a nine speaker factory stereo. GT1 has a sunroof and the Harman Kardon 15 speaker surround sound; GT2 has all that, plus nappa leather trim, HUD, the full driver assist package and a powered hatch lid.
Ok Merlin, then that's the detail I wanted to understand between markets, it roughly translates as follows.
Australian Version to Equivalent US Version
AU Stinger 330S (not called a GT) = US Stinger GT.
AU Stinger 330SI (not called a GT) = US Stinger GT1, but without sunroof and Harmon Kardon.
AU Stinger GT (only car called a GT) = US Stinger GT2, one GT with the lot.

Congrats and correct.

Different trims to accommodate different options/price points. Keep in mind the US' market is 10x that of Canada and more over Australia.

In Canada, just two trims, both only offered in AWD, GT and GT Limited which the latter includes all the options such as the suede headliner, 360 cam, HUD, Nappa leather, heated rear seats, wireless charging, larger infotainment screen, larger tft screen, etc. Good value for only $5k Cdn more over the $45K GT's price of admission.
For 2019 Canada has added the GT Line trim which is the base 2.0 model.

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
^^^Well said. Putting this into perspective is the way to go.

I unfortunately have been plagued with many little quality issues, most fixed. Regardless, the Stinger as a whole is a fantastic piece of machinery for which I'd purchase this car all over again. And this is coming from someone who has always been fortunate to own several luxury cars.
Hey corradoMR2, please help me with this. I ask you since you say you've had a good number of luxury cars, what is "reasonable?" I have a sunroof rattle that is in the works and some minor quibbles otherwise. I've been in a few loaners cars - Kia Soul with a pretty nasty hatch rattle, a Kia Sorrento with a "something" nasty tick/crack over bad bumps with only 2500 kms. Am I too picky on my cars? I've dumped so many over the past years due to perceived quality issues with seemingly incessant rattles and whatnot, including my "baby" factory ordered Mustang GT. Maybe I'm just too OCD and I'm expecting too much of cars? Maybe since I don't drive others' cars on the daily, their seemingly "not rattling" cars are maybe not as good as they seem since I don't deal with them every day? I wish I could draw the line on what is normal and what is not for quality expectations, but maybe I have a problem? Can a Lexus/luxury guy attest to this at all?

Maybe I just need a good used piece of junk to level my expectations, or take our horrible public transit lol.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Maybe I just need a good used piece of junk to level my expectations, or take our horrible public transit lol.
Lol. I've done both, for years.

Indeed, my vehicles have been (till this wonderful brand new one) used POS by anybody's expectations going into a new car. The van I drove before this for over twelve years had a drafty driver's door. Did I even think that I'd try and fix that? Hah. I lived with it as part of the "ambience" that was the used Voyager. The Ford 15 passenger Club Wagon was a comparatively quiet ride to other vans we test drove (and owned), and "luxurious" as well. When I got the brand new Michelins on (over a year into ownership) they so changed the feel, handling and cabin noise for the better that I was flabbergasted. And converted to never buying used tires again. All of my used vehicles have exhibited various cabin noises, from rushing wind beside my left ear to ticks and squeaks and rattles and especially noise from the working suspensions. As long as the ride was reasonably smooth and the handling predictable and the tire wear even and acceptably lengthy, I never complained.

Now, all of that is behind me. My Stinger really is quiet and smooth and stable and FAST and QUICK. I am thoroughly spoiled. I read of various noise or other quality issues that other Stinger owners experience and I feel sorry and hope that they can acquire a fix pronto. Because it seems there is no reason why all of them shouldn't be as fine, even if something has to be fixed first to get there.

Boo the GP

My first Stinger Premium 2.0T AWD experienced engine failure and massive engine oil leak on Day 2. I did not use the launch control or try 0-60 mph since I'm not an acceleration guy and that's the reason why I purchased fully loaded 2.0T over 3.3T base.

My dealership exchanged it with a new Stinger right away. Reached 10k miles recently and no mechanical issue yet. But, I am getting squeaking noice from sunroof, and my dealership was not able to fix it. I sprayed some silicone spray which slightly reduced the noise.

corradoMR2

GTA
Hey corradoMR2, please help me with this. I ask you since you say you've had a good number of luxury cars, what is "reasonable?" I have a sunroof rattle that is in the works and some minor quibbles otherwise. I've been in a few loaners cars - Kia Soul with a pretty nasty hatch rattle, a Kia Sorrento with a "something" nasty tick/crack over bad bumps with only 2500 kms. Am I too picky on my cars? I've dumped so many over the past years due to perceived quality issues with seemingly incessant rattles and whatnot, including my "baby" factory ordered Mustang GT. Maybe I'm just too OCD and I'm expecting too much of cars? Maybe since I don't drive others' cars on the daily, their seemingly "not rattling" cars are maybe not as good as they seem since I don't deal with them every day? I wish I could draw the line on what is normal and what is not for quality expectations, but maybe I have a problem? Can a Lexus/luxury guy attest to this at all?

It's funny I am ocd for squeaks and rattles too. All you need to do is search me in CL and this forum for multiple DIYs on reducing those irritating noises. However, i am less ocd these days because I have come to terms that a car interior is hundreds of parts, many clipped on plastic. The difference with say Lexus is many (but not all) of those parts clips are covered in felt, but still not perfect. The exception was the RC F. That car literally felt like you're in a bank vault, not a single peep inside, but also much pricier.

I feel your pain, believe me as my DIY threads are a testament to that, but I've somewhat level-set my expectations since even luxury cars although better, are not perfect. Buying used is a good way to lower expectations and not be irritated.

Dr_jitsu

Little back hatch and rattle from stereo at higher volume. Very pleased so far.

MrSmoofy

Sustaining Member +
Odessa, FL
No issues at 5k miles so far.

Blamo

Ontario, Canada
7k km in and I have started to get the rattle issue from the sunroof and door. Dealer has no "official" fix for it and are awaiting instructions from Kia Canada. As for paint.....well lets just say the chips are really starting to add up, which makes me sad for such a new higher end car.

Suzanne

Sustaining Member
Mine came with rail rust at no extra charge and a paint chip just over the tail light. Had to take it back for them to have it buffed out and they just gave me a touch up paint pen for the chip. Sales manager was disappointed when I did the KIA survey they it came out in the 70's. His service was great and I told him so but their service dept. pooped the bed.

Attachments

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Mine came with rail rust at no extra charge and a paint chip just over the tail light. Had to take it back for them to have it buffed out and they just gave me a touch up paint pen for the chip. Sales manager was disappointed when I did the KIA survey they it came out in the 70's. His service was great and I told him so but their service dept. pooped the bed.
What is "rail rust"? It looks like crap alright. That second pic is impact damage from, well, an impact with something. It isn't paint failure. Good luck with the touch up. Heh. "Less than a perfect score is a fail," says the service boss at "my" dealership service center. So far I haven't had anything to complain about. And I hope that the same is true for you going forward.

Suzanne

Sustaining Member
It's some type of eternal rust contaminant that could come from when the vehicle is being transported or just sitting on the lot. I wasn't too happy that when they PDI'd the car they didn't notice and get rid of it BEFORE they gave me the vehicle. And for the chip, yeah I agree something definitely hit the car there. The car was washed the day after I picked it up as it was being ceramic coated so that was how I found out about the imperfections - for sure got the car that way.
A friend does paint correction and detailing so he figures he can work on it so it doesn't show.
Glad your dealership is competent. I'm over an hour away from that dealership so wouldn't have been making the drive to have it serviced there anyway.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
It's some type of eternal rust contaminant that could come from when the vehicle is being transported or just sitting on the lot. I wasn't too happy that when they PDI'd the car they didn't notice and get rid of it BEFORE they gave me the vehicle. And for the chip, yeah I agree something definitely hit the car there. The car was washed the day after I picked it up as it was being ceramic coated so that was how I found out about the imperfections - for sure got the car that way.
A friend does paint correction and detailing so he figures he can work on it so it doesn't show.
Glad your dealership is competent. I'm over an hour away from that dealership so wouldn't have been making the drive to have it serviced there anyway.
Good to have knowledgeable and skilled friends! Sounds like you have every reason to be optimistic. :thumbup:

Regs120

My passenger side door hinge bolt was put in crooked. Really hard to notice until my dad pointed it out when he exited the vehicle. Likely stripped the socket.

Gerico

Now that you have owned your car for a few days or more, have you noticed any quality issues?

Take the poll and elaborate on your findings, with pics if you can!
Map light going on and off. Kia fixed by changing all assembly. All good now.

Legendsk

Deep south Texas
On the exterior, the paint has just enough orange peel to prevent the perfect score.
On the interior, the little cover over the center of the rain sensor module on the windshield was missing.
Likely robbed while the car was sitting at the dealer's. Because the part is not available by itself. To get the $0.15 cover, you must buy the whole $1,400 module. I'm guessing that somewhere many cars ago, the cover was lost, damaged or misplaced and one was robbed from another car. Then one was robbed to replace the one missing on that car, etc. On the good side, after urging from my salesman, the service department bit the bullet and bought the whole sensor to get me a cover. I'm sure the first time they do a warranty replacement on a rain sensor, the old one will be returned without a cover?

Frenchy_418

Quebec City
I just got my 2019 GT Limited AWD 4 days ago and so far, its a very good car. Little downside was that my car was used in a Car expo where I live by the dealership before I bought it (without my knowledge). I found out some blemish only after taking possession of it. So they have to fix a little lifted scuff on the leather in the back, a slight bump on the rear quarter by the wheel edge (probably from a knee at the show. And a small paint wear from someone at the show trying to life the driver wiper with the hood down.

My dealership seems pretty good so far about handling these. I will not take a touch up pen as a Showroom quality trade off for sure. I'll keep you informed on how it will end. Hopefully well.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Hi, Frenchy. Good intro post. Welcome to the forum. The wiper blade scuff is well known. Too bad that an "education" for others touching your car will require more scuffing. Grr! Just stand by to make sure filling station attendants in Oregon don't yank up on it to clean your windshield (ask me how I know).

Frenchy_418

Quebec City
I just got my 2019 GT Limited AWD 4 days ago and so far, its a very good car. Little downside was that my car was used in a Car expo where I live by the dealership before I bought it (without my knowledge). I found out some blemish only after taking possession of it. So they have to fix a little lifted scuff on the leather in the back, a slight bump on the rear quarter by the wheel edge (probably from a knee at the show. And a small paint wear from someone at the show trying to life the driver wiper with the hood down.

My dealership seems pretty good so far about handling these. I will not take a touch up pen as a Showroom quality trade off for sure. I'll keep you informed on how it will end. Hopefully well.
Actually the dealership are doing very good and offered me a new 20th anniversary as a replacement for my Original red Stinger. I am not disappointed at all.