Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Poll - Stinger Owner Initial Quality

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by corradoMR2, Feb 15, 2018.

Have You Noticed any Quality Issues and if so From which Category(ies)?

1. Yes - Exterior Fit and Finish

44 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Yes - Interior Fit and Finish

22 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Yes - Squeaks and/or Rattles

75 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Yes - Noise Vibration Harshness

22 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Yes - Electrical

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Yes - Mechanical

15 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. Yes - Technology

38 vote(s)
    14.7%
  8. Yes - Other

15 vote(s)
    5.8%
  9. No - Car is perfect!

120 vote(s)
    46.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Its been a common complaint , your dealer will be aware of it . Mine self corrected BTW

• Like Like x 1
  2. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Stinger Enthusiast

Well thought dealer had fixed sunroof. ...not. Rattling again. Rear hatch rattling again now as well. What good is a warranty if I bring car to dealer and they can’t fix simple things like this? Guess I will need to do it on my own.

To add insult to injury had thought the dealer had replaced my under tray. Relarized they just fastened it up again.

Brakes seem to be ok still so at least their brake work has lasted 300 miles.

Sub standard service is now part of the Kia Stinger experience.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

But, you still think the car is fantastic, am I right?

If they had replaced the undercarriage panel, you'd know it: they are not cheap. As long as it doesn't have holes in it, you're okay.

I bet it's easier to fix brakes than it is to find and eradicate a rattling sound. When you invent the fix that solves the rattling moonroof and hatch (as I am confident that you will), please share.

4. DirtyDave

DirtyDave United States Newish Member

Does a Check Engine Light 15 minutes after leaving the dealer lot count? To say the least I was pissed. Turned out to be a pretty easy fix but still annoying as hell.

5. westcoastGT

some lot boy probably didnt close the fuel door properly , breathe deep ..........................hahahahah

6. DirtyDave

Nah, not THAT simple. Coil issue causing misfires. All good now. Man, I love this car.

7. westcoastGT

just wait till you get the accolades from the German boys

8. DirtyDave

I've already been getting a lot of "looks" from them. I've owned a 2002 Mustang GT, 2004 Corvette and a 2009 370Z Nismo (all new) and the Stinger takes the cake!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. westcoastGT

I came from 9 BMWs .......................been on the road since Nov /17 ( probably 1st Stinger in North America ) and smile every day driving it ! enjoy

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MerlintheMad

Time rushes on. You've been on the road with your Stinger since Nov '17, not "last" Nov. :whistle::cool:

11. westcoastGT

I stand corrected !

• Like Like x 1
  12. stewj

stewj United States New Member

I've had my 2018 Stinger GT2 (white w/black int - build date 5/18) since the end of 12/18 - I've had no build quality issues - car is solid - fun to drive (I prefer the sport mode) - much more comfortable than my previous 2016 BMW 328i. On the highway the car handles and drives like its on rails - power on demand. There is nothing anywhere near the price that compares.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MerlintheMad

Welcome, "stooge". ;) Your intro post is the short version of how my car is described over the last eleven months. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

so far so good....and I test the build quality at every start up!

15. PxbVic

PxbVic Australia Active Member

Hello,

Bit off topic but maybe not, I read this thread top to bottom several times as I have just inked a deal on a new 2019 Kia Stinger GT in Australia. so I wanted to share my experience with a dealer demonstrator car a Sep 2017/MY18 Stinger GT with 28,500KM on the clock.

I was fortunate enough to get the demo for 2 days, and to give you some perspective the car was a September 2017 delivered car but a 2018 model, so what I'd consider the first of the line. It had after market Kenda tyres on board and all regular servicing 10,000KM and 20,000KM done. as far as I could tell this car has had a reasonably tough life as a dealer demo.

What I can state is this, the demo being first edition sold me on the car, it was tight, did not experience any of the minor issues detail in this forum and was a pleasure to drive. This alone was enough for me to put away any brand prejudice and go for the Kia Stinger.

My car is 7 to 10 days away as it is currently in Pre-car stock (waiting to be delivered to the dealer for customer preparation). I'm really looking forward to owning this car, the demo was fantastic.

I was curious about the console issue highlighted in the Youtube video, I couldn't move the console in a 2 year old demo car so in my opinion this was probably a quality control issue and not common.

squeaks and rattles, couldn't identify any in the demo, so again I would think these are rare and typical of minor quality control issues rather than ongoing issues with the car as a whole.

The dealer demo did have one minor flaw, the fuel hatch did not sit flush when closed, it was flush at the top but 3 mm proud at the bottom, I didn't look further as it's not my car, but would suspect it could be resolved with a minor adjustment.

I took the car to a track and had it over 180km/h it was a great vehicle and there were no wind noise or issues I could identify.

The Kia Stinger GT in Australia really impressed. We only get a fully optioned GT edition here and not the GT, GT1 and GT2 spec levels in the US, but it has everything.

Cheers,

Paul.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Hi Paul and welcome, you'll find all the information you require here. If you want to introduce yourself in the "Stingers down under" regional threads the locals will only be to happy to answer any owner questions.

What colour and trim have you opted for?
    Just to pull you up a bit on the Gt1 Gt2 thing. We do get the S,Si and Gt options here. You may have to order them. From what i understand over 90% of the vehicles sold here are the Gt fully specked trim so thats whats going to more than likely whats on over as dealers stock.

17. MerlintheMad

Thanks, Paul. This is a great review, and a unique perspective: sort of a "long term" review of the car, since it has so many miles and is over a year old.

Your observation that the issues mentioned on this thread and elsewhere apply to individual vehicles and not the model as a whole echoes my own belief. I look at the size of the Stinger Forum membership (now well over 6K), and then compare the number of people actually experiencing issues who have mentioned them. It is common to not even notice or bother responding to discussions on this or that issue, unless your car experiences them.

For instance, the paint quality is the biggest issue as far as discussion goes, so incidence of paint quality issues is higher than any other Stinger imperfection; yet only c. 5% of our members have found and/or bothered to participate in the poll on the paint quality thread (up since May/June of last year); and c. 36% of the respondents say "no unwarranted paint chipping with [my] Stinger"; so c. 3% of Stinger Forum members have said that they have chipping or some other paint quality complaints.

The car is tight and typically without mentionable imperfections. We hear all the bad news in these discussions. And some people feel the problems with the car are so widespread that they even use the superlative "all" when talking about how many Stingers have issues with paint.

It's easy to see a widespread problem if you car is experiencing it.

Now, we/I hope that your anticipated arrival is just as trouble free as the demo you loved driving! :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

^^^Well said. Putting this into perspective is the way to go.

I unfortunately have been plagued with many little quality issues, most fixed. Regardless, the Stinger as a whole is a fantastic piece of machinery for which I'd purchase this car all over again. And this is coming from someone who has always been fortunate to own several luxury cars.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PxbVic

PxbVic Australia Active Member

Hey Oz,

Yeah I'm getting the GT Silver/Black Interior, Not the GT-Line or 330SI. I don't do things by half. My understanding is there are different levels of GT in the US and Canada, and several trim levels of the 2 litre, but my point was we only have one GT version in Australia, and like many cars to the Australian market we get the highest specification. I'm not sure but it would appear to me that the different GT spec levels in the US were to meet certain price points, for example to get the Harmon Kardon system you have to buy a GT2, I may be wrong just an observation of difference between markets. I'd be interested to know what the difference is between the GT, GT1 and GT2 in the US/Canada from out friends over there.

Cheers,

Paul

20. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

Congrats and correct.

Different trims to accommodate different options/price points. Keep in mind the US' market is 10x that of Canada and more over Australia.

In Canada, just two trims, both only offered in AWD, GT and GT Limited which the latter includes all the options such as the suede headliner, 360 cam, HUD, Nappa leather, heated rear seats, wireless charging, larger infotainment screen, larger tft screen, etc. Good value for only $5k Cdn more over the $45K GT's price of admission.

Draft saved Draft deleted