Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Poll - Stinger Owner Initial Quality

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by corradoMR2, Feb 15, 2018.

Have You Noticed any Quality Issues and if so From which Category(ies)?

1. Yes - Exterior Fit and Finish

51 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. Yes - Interior Fit and Finish

23 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Yes - Squeaks and/or Rattles

87 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Yes - Noise Vibration Harshness

22 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Yes - Electrical

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Yes - Mechanical

17 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. Yes - Technology

44 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. Yes - Other

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. No - Car is perfect!

134 vote(s)
    45.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

The console sliding cover over the wireless charger and USB ports is now suddenly jamming. You feel the friction. It just started yesterday for no apparent reason. :( I recall one car reviewer on youtube had the same issue but I just brushed it aside thinking it was a one-off but now wondering if this is a more common problem.

My car is 10 months old, 12,400km.

Here's a video of it.

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

LOL! WTH!? You mean that thing MOVES?? I, don't, believe, it. I just went outside after reading your post and pulled on it (I've done that a few times over the last more than half a year), and managed to push on it somehow and *swish* out it came slick as greased runners. SMH.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Addressing the problem: Mine is still "brand new", obviously. But, if I noticed it starting to hang up, I'd apply canned air first: see if accumulated dust in the tracks is the cause. No way would I try lubricating it unless Kia gave the go ahead with a recommended substance. Is the "jam" simply a loss of automatic, spring loaded closing? You can still pull it closed, am I right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Merlin,Merlin, Merlin.....how the f*&^ can you miss that?!...thats worse than me thinking the 2.0t is fast!!,lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. MerlintheMad

I love a man that can laugh at himself. Yes, I do feel ultra silly for trying to open that thing several times over the months and failing, only to be told this evening that someone's opening console cover is "jamming". Hilarious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. rocket23

yea, buddy.epic in itself!!

6. rocket23

course now ya know the compartment is there......I haven't used it yet....I keep the usb cable in there, but haven't used it yet.

7. MerlintheMad

The "compartment" has always been a hole to drop small objects in. The "shelf" above it has been used rarely for flat things like maybe a pen, or my wallet slid in there, etc. The raised center lip just keeps said-objects securely held. Now, what the heck am I going to close the little storage hole off for? Looks? Maybe. It does look slick slid closed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rocket23

yeah it does.....thinking about the euro cup holder cover......the u.s. models didn't come with it.

9. rocket23

I keep it closed .....for the record.

10. corradoMR2

I tried compressed air to no avail. And agree, I'm not putting any lube there until the dealer assesses it first. There is definitely friction and some form of plastic grinding that is heard and felt though as you can see from the vid, I need to pull it along to close. I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow on replacing the radio as the FM volume has a mind of its own and I will bring up the seized sliding cover.

Anyone else with this issue?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  11. corradoMR2

I showed the video to my Kia dealer Service Manager and he ordered the new cover. Will get it installed tomorrow along with the radio unit replacement to fix the erratic FM radio volume.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

So is there a Canadian TSB number for the faulty entertainment unit? Was at the dealership a month ago and was informed there was no new TSBs for Canada.

13. corradoMR2

No TSB. Mine was the dealer's first.

All done today and working great (radio + cover tray) :)

Here's the work order. 2018-10-22_20.48.30.jpg

Not shown, the head unit was $4K and the cover compartment was almost $900! Thank goodness for warranty...

• Like Like x 1
  14. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

the upper right "contact the President " , Is that the dealer or Kia Canada , can you shoot and post a tighter pic for this please ......................congratulations !!

15. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

Damn.....I knew the head unit would be pricey but that little cover for $900???? Maybe those prices included labour which normally is like half the cost. Only issue I have with my head unit is the known volume "fading to rear", but I haven't had that occur in a long time actually. How drastic was your volume fluctuations? I noticed a bit of volume fluctuation when playing songs through CarPlay, but it's not consistent enough to reproduce to show the dealer.

Only warranty work I've had done was the hatch rattle noise, which there was a Canadian TSB for. That may be the only one at the moment.

16. corradoMR2

Nope, just the part! I think it's b/c it includes the wireless Qi charger since it's the entire compartment replaced.

17. rocket23

yeah, price sounds more than a door.

18. GetLikeJinxy

GetLikeJinxy Canada Newish Member

Owner of a '18 for about two weeks. Aside from an annoying rattle from the closed sunroof while driving in the highways, no problems here. Came on this thread looking for answers for the sunroof rattle but I guess I'm one of the few ones with this issue

19. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

My only issue is that I set the stereo sound to be centered and every so often it reverts to the back. Now, I haven't inspected my car as thoroughly as some have, so there may some paint issues in hidden away places, but nothing other than the stereo issues have stood out.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  20. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Nope , there are a few of us , My dealer cant fix it so they are ordering a new sunroof frame , you NEED to report this problem to KIA Canada and your dealer !!

Draft saved Draft deleted