Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Poll - Stinger Owner Initial Quality

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by corradoMR2, Feb 15, 2018.

Have You Noticed any Quality Issues and if so From which Category(ies)?

1. Yes - Exterior Fit and Finish

44 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Yes - Interior Fit and Finish

22 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Yes - Squeaks and/or Rattles

75 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Yes - Noise Vibration Harshness

22 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Yes - Electrical

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Yes - Mechanical

15 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. Yes - Technology

38 vote(s)
    14.7%
  8. Yes - Other

15 vote(s)
    5.8%
  9. No - Car is perfect!

120 vote(s)
    46.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

Now that you have owned your car for a few days or more, have you noticed any quality issues?

Take the poll and elaborate on your findings, with pics if you can!

• Like Like x 1
  2. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

I'll kick it off with the following. My car has some quality issues, with these so far, with links to existing threads where applicable.

- Paddle Shifters feel cheap, squeak and the left paddle has some play.
    - Ticking/squeaking door frame
    - Rear hatch rattle
    - Some wind noise driver's door bottom (root cause is likely due to the door protruding slightly)
    - Some of the dash stitching threads are out
    - Driver door not flush
    - Paint defect (dust speck under clear coat)

20180109_170326.jpg
    20180201_140538.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Merkur720

Merkur720 United States Active Member

Car is 99.95% perfect with 900 miles on it. There is a very small paint defect in rear fender. The panel has a couple of sand grit specs under the paint. Only noticed when waxing. I’ll take that over something else major!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ibmaxx

ibmaxx New Zealand Active Member

Me too. Couple of what seems grit specks also on the right rear fender. Go figure.

• Like Like x 2
  5. iclicku

iclicku United States Stinger Enthusiast

I may be nit-picking but the doors rattle a bit when I get the volume up on a bass heavy song. Otherwise I'm not experiencing any creaks or rattles.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Stinger Enthusiast

Car is not perfect but I had no issue that couldnt be easily fixed. So far so good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. leftwing

leftwing Canada Member

Had to have the passenger side window actuator and motor replaced. Not a big deal since it was all warranty, but I was surprised that something like that passed QA.

• Like Like x 1
  8. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Stinger Enthusiast

I have been reading korean forums and since last year july and I have never seen anyone having this problem before. It must have been an isolated case, but as you say, this kind of thing must have been filtered at QA.

9. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

10. Gdank

Gdank United Kingdom Active Member

TBH I'm in construction and you can test something 15 times, sign the paperwork as tested and working fine, then one min later someone turns it on and BANG! There is a % failure rate in everything, even if it's 0.001% it means one somewhere will fail.

Think of it this way .... if it had been a lottery ticket instead of a car, you just won $10,000,000 :p

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

When i was having ceramic coating done. The detailer was showing me how rough the paint work was around and underneath the rear number plate.
    He said it wasnt unusual as manufacturers skimp in this area. He blurted out some term for it. Now some other random guy noticed it. Lucky my eyesight is poor.
    Apparently here in Oz we have slimmer number plates which don't cover this rough workmanship.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. leftwing

leftwing Canada Member

Ha ha, yeah, I can't believe I wasted my luck on this! I design/write big software systems for a living so I know all about how stuff can slip through the cracks. I wasn't too worried about it, it just seems like something at the very least the dealership should have had on their checklist before turning the car over - but I'm pretty happy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ldbs101

ldbs101 Canada Newish Member

I was at a dealership today .. looking at the space grey or whatever grey it is called.. I feel bad whoever buys the car.. the trim around the sunroof molding had keep scratches look like factory, and those nibbles all over the paint..

Quality control seems to be lacking?

for the price they are asking they need to step up their game

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. bluecatsup

bluecatsup Canada Member

I was at the dealership yesterday and shook the center console like the Carwow guy did (link below at 1:00 into the video), and yes it did shake the same way.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for pointing out where to find the issue in the video. Okay, so the center console at the floor will wobble if you shake it. Same with the center of the steering wheel. I can see why these things will matter to some people - but for me - I'm okay with it. I guess Kia should focus on getting this fixed for the 2019. But if they don't, it really wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I think this guy was just pointing out that the car isn't as 100% perfect as it's top tier competitors - in ways that probably most of us aren't concerned with anyway...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

Just curious if anyone has done this to a console on equivalent Audi's, Bimmers, Mercs, etc.? Can't say I have, but then again I never thought to do that to a center console.

• Like Like x 2
  17. weew

weew Canada Member

Car's great. The only thing I've found so far is a tiny bit of swirl marks near the rear rear license plate. Only noticed it while waxing it up close.

• Like Like x 1
  18. EchoesMyron

EchoesMyron United States Member

Overall, no mechanical or quality issues. Paint is perfect except where the damn rocks have already chipped it. Only issues I have are software based and they'll get fixed when Kia creates an update. I may be starting to have a little hatch rattle but that's a known issue with a TSB.

I'm happy with the quality of the car and have no regrets. I worked at an VW/ Audi/ Porsche dealership back in the early 2000s and I was always amazed they made any money at all with all of the (large) issues those cars had new and the amount of warranty work we did.

I expect to experience a certain amount of issues being an early adopter of a brand new model of car. Nothing and I mean nothing is ever perfect.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

Picked up my Stinger yesterday and glad to say that so far no rattles from back hatch, and no other issues so far. Will keep you posted with updates

• Like Like x 2
  20. Burnin4

Burnin4 United States Newish Member

I have had a clear bra installed on my past 8 brand new cars. The guy that installs them told me he was surprised at how nice the paint is on my GT2, he mentioned that he couldn't find any imperfections anywhere, better then any American made car he has worked on. I only have 300 miles on my Stinger, so I can't vouch for any mechanical issues.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted