Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Do It Yourself Kia Stinger Oil Change

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by Kia Stinger, Jan 25, 2018.

1. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

Woof. The filter cap seals with an o-ring, so it doesn't need to be tight to seal. I'd fear 26 ft/lb would be a bit much for that plastic.
    I just tighten until it seats then set it "snug". My finely calibrated wrist would call it 10-15ftlb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RLittle

RLittle United States Active Member

I agree.
    Once it bottoms out it does not move much further.
    It indeed tightens to about 15ft lb then stops moving as you put more pressure.
    you have to give it a good shove to bottom the element on to the cap.
    It took a bit of twisting by hand to get the cap to screw on as the filter element gets pushed on to the inlet then the last turn or two with the wrench with moderate pressure until it stops moving. No leaks here.

32ft/lb on the drain plug seems a bit much also in that the threads are covered with oil and there is a new gasket.

3. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

A "friend of a friend" tightened the filter cap without using a torque wrench. It was his first time dealing with a plastic filter housing.

After finishing the job he verified there were no leaks and buttoned everything back up.

He drove to Autozone to dispose of the old oil and noticed a faint oil smell but paid no attention to it. Once he got home he saw a dotted line from the garage leading into the street. He noticed it was oil that had leaked out as he backed out of the garage. He then noticed a large pool of oil on the garage floor. After checking the dipstick he figured approximately half of the new oil had leaked out through the broken filter housing.

He wants me to implore everyone to pay close attention to the ft lb requirement and do not exceed them! Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

35.3 Nm/26.0 lb ft is specified in KIA's KGIS service procedure as the tightening torque for the oil filter cap, after applying clean engine oil to the O-rings. I'm sure they took the materials into consideration when arriving at that number, so that's what I'll be using.

I'm not going to second guess their specifications and risk a possible oil leak, especially with the oil filter hidden underneath the engine behind the underbody tray. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Muldune

Muldune United States Member

I paid the $19 to get the Kia online shop manuals for 3 days access. The Kia spec for the oil cap is 26 ft lbs, or 35.3 Nm. One should tighten the cap until it seats against the hold, just like in this picture:
    IMG_1683 edited.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. KiaWill

KiaWill United States Member

Was your "friend of a friend" able to replace or fix the broken filter housing?

7. Kamauxx

Kia repaired it for him.

8. RLittle

He cracked it, or was it too loose?

9. Kamauxx

Cracked. Entire engine bay and body panels under the car coated in fresh oil.

10. SteveCo

26 ft lbs isn't a lot of force - definitely an application where a torque wrench is a wise choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RLittle

Thanks man!

I'll be careful not to overtighten.

I'm sure the dealer techs are not going to use a torque wrench for that.
    Actually, the torque is supposed to be measured while the cap is still moving.
    I bet it bottoms and stops moving well before 26ftlb

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kamauxx

By now the dealerships should be used to the plastic housings. They've been used on the 3.3l engines in a few other Kia vehicles over the years. They're probably trained to just hand tighten them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

I've been working with canister filters on a couple of vehicles for a few years, they do bottom out, it's a "plastic on plastic" situation. The torque spec is supposed to be enough to prevent it from working loose, but the (fresh, supplied with every cartridge) O-ring provides the seal.

Very disappointed that the cartridge is underneath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteveCo

Indeed. On my other car the filter container is a 'top-loader' with very easy access under the hood. Unscrewing the cap lets you cleanly extract and replace the used filter cartridge form the recessed housing without spilling a drop of oil. A nice clean process, and still environmentally friendlier by eliminating the disposable spin-on metal filter housing - nice! :thumbup:

15. RLittle

I needed a wrench to get it over the o ring. Once bottomed it stopped turning.

Oh, I did spill some oil when pulling the old filter out of the cap.

16. celwin

celwin United States Member

If you are doing yourself, what receipts are you referring to? Receipt of purchasing the oil? I tend to document mileage and date in an excel spread sheet.

17. RLittle

Keep receipts for oil and filters.

18. SilverNitr8

SilverNitr8 United States Active Member

For you guys that used the fumoto valve, did you also use a crush washer that came with the Kia oil filter?

19. RLittle

Unless the fumoto valve has a built in rubber washer, I’d use a crush washer.

I suspect the fumoto comes with the proper washer

20. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

Fumoto provides a rubberized washer

Draft saved Draft deleted