Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Do It Yourself Kia Stinger Oil Change

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by Kia Stinger, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Onno P

Onno P Netherlands Active Member

On the drainvalves....
    Is there anything keeping them shut? Could not see on their site if they put any safety on it to prevent it from opening by itself.
    Have seen Murphy’s law in action a bit too often.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RVance

RVance United States Active Member

We Californians toss over 67 million canister oil filters into landfills every year. Cartridges can, and hopefully will soon, be recycled and burned in power generating stations. Anything we can do to lessen the impact on our environment will extend the production of the internal combustion engines we love so dearly :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Todd McNulty

Todd McNulty United States Member

The reason I said only 6.75 quarts is because the manual says it has a 7.29 quarts refill with oil filter change. I don't want anyone overfilling theirs. Some oil probably just remains in engine after draining. ( I think it's 7.29)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

I think they come with a spring loaded lever. I have also seen some other "adapters" that can be added to further assist no movement of the valve. Could prob put a zip tie around it also to prevent movement

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hojae84

Hojae84 United States Active Member

Thanks OP for video - made oil change super easy knowing bolt sizes and fastener locations etc.
    1st oil change today w mobil1 and installed fumoto valve.
    Really not too bad.
    Ramps I have wouldn't work, bumper doesn't have enough clearance height to ride on.
    A little embarrassing but the thing that took me the longest was figuring out how to jack the car up.
    Anyone have a suggestion/link for ramps that work w stinger and cleats front bumper?
    W Ramps a stinger oil change really isn't bad. Just remember to put an oil pan directly below access hole for filter when removing

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ihatecats78

ihatecats78 United States Member

I just changed my oil for the second time today.. I noticed the same thing - except it was more like 6.5 quarts to fill mine.

The second time was a lot faster than the first. I think it took about 35 minutes from start to finish.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

A 2×4 in front of the ramp is enough to lift the front so the car wont rub on the ramp.

8. Hojae84

2nd oil change. The ez drain valve I installed at 1st oil change made it super easy w no mess. Highly recommend.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. mulepic

mulepic United States Newish Member

Can you tell us which ez drain valve you used, thread/pitch?

10. Hojae84

i purchased
    F106SX: New Generation Fumoto® Valve with 14mm-1.5 Thread Size

• Like Like x 1
  11. mulepic

Do you think the right angle bend is needed for this car?

12. Hojae84

probably not. but not 100% sure.

13. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

I use a piece of cardboard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

FWIW, the "nut" on the back of the filter cover is 27mm, so a low profile 27mm socket with a 3/8" drive is perfect for removing the filter - e.g. motivx MX2333. A 1/2" ratchet is too long to use effectively up in there, and I hate using crescent wrenches on plastic "nuts" - they always get torn up.

The Fumoto F106SX fits perfect. No extension or adapters needed. It ends up angled down slightly, but I still use the optional snap-on drain hose. Plenty of room for the belly pan too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mulepic

I have the 6 cylinder and there was no room to fit the Fumoto drain. There wasn't enough room between the drain hole and the frame and if there was, you couldn't rotate the drain valve to thread it in the hole. So I'm confused how you guys are using the Fumotor drain. Is it a 6 cylinder vs 4?

16. Hojae84

I have the v6. What model is your fumoto drain valve?

17. mulepic

I don't have it in front of me, but I'm guessing it's not the 'new generation' that is 2 pieces. Mine is a single piece drain valve.

18. Hojae84

Bummer. Hopefully you can exchange it. I know they have versions with short drain valves that aren't the fancy/pricey 2piece versions that looked like they would work. not sure if you have one of the longer drain valve models.

19. RVance

RVance United States Active Member

If you loosen the stock drain plug slowly, you can stop at the point it starts draining and control the flow so it doesn't shoot over the crossmember.

20. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

I was talking about the v6, no idea in the i4. The F106SX is the right angle banjo bolt version, and it fits. The straight one piece version won't fit because there's not enough vertical room for the valve to rotate so it can attach to the pan. You have to use a wrench to tighten the valve, but there's plenty of room between it and the cross member.

Draft saved Draft deleted