Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Do It Yourself Kia Stinger Oil Change

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by Kia Stinger, Jan 25, 2018.

1. David Truax

David Truax United States Member

Thanks. This will come in handy. Question: were you able to drive the car up on the ramps? I was looking at those ramps but wasn't sure if the car was too low for them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Muldune

Muldune United States Member

Yes, I was able to drive the car up the ramps, but notice that the ramps are placed at the crest of a down-slope.

Use the following instructions with common sense and at your own risk.

To determine if your ramps will work:
    1. At the location where you plan to use the ramps, position the vehicle with wheels aligned straight.
    2. Take each ramp and align it with the front tires.
    3. Attempt to push each ramp under the front of the car until the lower lip of ramp ramp engages the tire tread where the tread meets the ground.
    4. If the lower lip of the ramps are able to touch the tire treads and at the same time not touch the vehicle, you should be able to drive your vehicle up the ramps without contacting the vehicle.
    5. If the ramps do not engage the vehicle, leave the ramps touching the tires in the proper orientation to drive up the ramps.
    6. If the ramps do not engage the vehicle, slowly drive up the ramps until properly positioned on the ramps.

3. 5tinger

5tinger Australia Member

Can the oil & filter not be changed without jacking the car?

I change all my other cars without jacking them up.

4. basysmith

basysmith Australia Active Member

I certainly couldn't do without jacking mine up. Watch one of the oil change videos to get a sense of what you need access to.

5. CoolRob

CoolRob United States Newish Member

I used a pair of Rhino Ramps to change mine today. It was close, but it cleared and was enough room for me to get under it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. 5tinger

5tinger Australia Member

I will attempt to do it without raising Stinger..

7. basysmith

basysmith Australia Active Member

Did you have a look at where the sump plug is? Are you lowered or on stock springs?

Good luck either way.

8. Manaz

Manaz Australia 1000 Posts Club!

You should be able to do it in theory without raising it up - but the car already sits pretty low and you're going to struggle to get yourself in there far enough and to get enough purchase with tools to remove the under-tray etc so you can remove the sump plug and filter.

That video shows what you're dealing with. You can see they have the car up on boards - a good few inches up off the ground on top of the standard clearance, and it's still cramped and fiddly (the oil filter in particular, it's a real shame the filter isn't located on top of the engine as in some of Kia's other cars).

• Like Like x 1
  9. M'Kehyah

M'Kehyah United States Member

Just use ramps ;)
    You can drive up onto 4x4 boards first to get extra clearance for ramps if needed...

10. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Good lord, unless your head and body are the thickness of a waffle, why would you even want to try? Beside having virtually no space to move your arms or tools, the car would almost be sitting on your nose. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Not to mention how many are rolling on lowering springs!

12. Its impossible to do without raising unless you back up onto some platform.

I use two jacks to get the car up, and take the extra steps of removing both covers using my electric impact gun. Using jacks allow you to check each front wheel to make sure the ball joints and tie rods are Ok. On ramps, you cant check the suspension

13. Rynil2000

Rynil2000 United States Active Member

Check out Mr. Rockefeller over here. :D I'm hoping to be able to persuade my buddy with the QuickJacks that he wants to watch me change my oil one of these weekends.

Good to know these ramps work. Are they the same Rhino Ramps on Amazon?

14. 5tinger

5tinger Australia Member

My point being is that if it can be done on other similarly low to ground clearance vehicles, then also could be done on Stinger.
    I have a Koup Turbo and I am able to easily replace filter and oil without lifting the vehicle up.

I just don't understand why they choose the ridiculous cartridge filter style instead of the screw on/off canister type.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. KiaWill

KiaWill United States Member

I've seen this done before. Might give just enough clearance for the Stinger. 3592712635_7b1d5bbc47_o.jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Rynil2000

If you don't give AF about your Stinger, try this. Rim/tire damage, dropping off the curb, misalignment; no thanks.

I'm going to drop the 40 big ones on the ramps to not completely wreck my investment. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Yes, I've seen that done before - once saw a clutch changed in a Jeep, with the front axle driven up on a berm at a campground out in the boonies. Sometimes novel solutions like that can be a lifesaver if you're on the road and need to sort an issue when more conventional resources aren't readily at hand.

Still not what I'd call a comfortable working environment, and not something I'd be doing for regular maintenance like an oil change - but in a pinch using a sidewalk as a wheel stand at least ensures the car is safely raised and well supported.

18. CoolRob

CoolRob United States Newish Member

Just now seeing this. I've had my Rhino Ramps for several years, the ones on Amazon look more durable. Mine are model #11903, the ones on Amazon appear to be the same angle.

19. Rynil2000

After last weekend, I can confirm that the Rhino Ramps are perfect for the job. Crawled under the car no problem. The only watch out is the bottom of front bumper comes close to the ramps. If you have any AM front lip, it might rub.

20. 5tinger

5tinger Australia Member

Has anyone tried removing oil filter from above engine bay? It seems very accessible from there.

If above possible then oil can also be extracted by pump from above which means no need to jack up vehicle.

Draft saved Draft deleted