Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Do It Yourself Kia Stinger Oil Change

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by Kia Stinger, Jan 25, 2018.

1. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

It's a bit messy to do it yourself because you have to remove an under-panel and an access hole and have a special filter wrench that fits the filter housing cap nut. And the drain hole doesn't line up far enough away from the frame crossmember so you need a deflector of some kind to keep oil from blowing back onto the exhaust. Not difficult, but tedious and no fun.

2. StingerGTandMe

StingerGTandMe United States Active Member

That's why i filmed it. So everyone could make a decision about doing it themselves or having it done.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Aquadog

Aquadog United States Active Member

Thanks appreciate that .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

This is EXACTLY why i want to do myself. You think the techs at the dealer or jiffy lube or similar care if they splash oil all over the place. Those places are about throughput and they want to turn cars as quickly as practical...which is mutually exclusive to "keep it clean."

The drain valve idea is great to keep clean...still working on a way to get the filter out with as limited mess as possible. In AZ, a bit of oil attracts more dust and sand then i care to comment on so keeping it clean is important.

5. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Who goes underneath to drain oil? There's a reason filter cartridges are located on top..

upload_2018-3-12_15-32-29.png

6. Mach_Tuck

Ha Ha...thats great to get the oil out of the pan...does not help with the cartridge...NOT located on top of this engine :)

7. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Seriously? That's surprising! It is on virtually every other modern vehicle, including the two Sorentos I've owned since 2010...

In fact that's actually quite disappointing..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ibmaxx

ibmaxx New Zealand Active Member

The biggest disappointment for me is the stupid cartridge. Why not engineer for a spin on like has been used forever. Takes about 2 minutes to spin off and replace at one third the cost. Have been changing my own oil forever but no can do now.

9. Mach_Tuck

Yep. Very disappointing. And let's not forget the air filters. Remove bracing to swap...sigh

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ScottE

ScottE Active Member

The cartridge filters are great! No mess and easy to change... As long as they are on top of the engine. I'm not sure why they relocated it for the Stinger, unlike Sorento and other applications for the Lambda II. Oh well...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mach_Tuck

Can anyone confirm the thread pitch of the oil drain valve. i am looking at oildrain.net and it appears that ALL Kia have the same thread pitch? I find that difficult to believe.

They say its a 14mm x 1.5

KIA - EZ Oil Drain Valve| Oildrainvalve.net

12. mikeceli

mikeceli United States Member

ONCE AGAIN, you can thank environmentalists for the new(1950's technology) cartridge oil filters. They fear metal filter disposal.

13. Mach_Tuck

Cartridge is fine so long as its put on top of damn engine!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tylor Pike

Tylor Pike Canada Member

Is there a reason to be changing the oil at 1500 miles??

15. Mach_Tuck

Only thing I can think is wear in...

16. RVance

RVance United States Active Member

My dealer insisted I wait until the change oil light comes on before I bring it in for the first change. They do the first change/service for free. I change the oil on my '89 Mustang GT, but it's easy to floor jack and set stands. I've had the Stinger up on a lift and there are no good central jack points in the front- need to jack each side on the pinch welds. PITA, lol.

17. Mach_Tuck

Yep and the rear subframe has a cross bar on the exhaust blocking its access. Easy to remove but one more step on and off. For the oil change, a set of ramps should be sufficient.

Agreed...lack of dedicated center jack point + pinch weld = SUCKS

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Todd McNulty

Todd McNulty United States Member

I used Race Ramps and it was a fairly easy do it yourself job It only required 6.75 quarts to get it right at the full mark

19. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

That’s a lot of oil. I saw that in the owners manual and went Wow! My 3.5L Honda needed 4.5Q.

20. Onno P

Onno P Netherlands Active Member

Old 911 took 14 Q,
    But then again it was also engineered to be part of the cooling

• Informative Informative x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted