Do It Yourself Kia Stinger Oil Change

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
Am I the only one that can't hear the sound hardly at all?

will20four

DFW Texas
Volume is fine for me too. For those that do your own oil change make records and save paperwork/receipts, This way for any warrenty work they may want to see you were properly maintaining. I decided since I don't have the time like in the past I take it to the dealership and everything is on records. Just something to think about. Another great video!

mldavis2

1000 Posts Club!
Neosho, MO
I just hope I can get the beast up on my ramps. My G8 GT air dam was too low in the front, and my GTO scrapes as well. But the front on the Stinger seems closer to the front wheels so maybe ....

mikeceli

Given the 10/100,000 powertrain warranty and the presumption many Stingers will be driven hard, might want to have the dealer do the oil changes. This to eliminate possible disputes , down the road, about engine failure. Why risk such a long warranty, to save maybe $100.00 a year?

If you chose to do it yourself, keep detailed records, receipts. On my ford Excursion 7.3 4x4 diesel, I bought new in 2000, I also saved EVERY boxtop form every Ford (Motorcraft) oil filter. As a former automotive service manager, w/ decades of training and experience, I felt capable to prevail in a warranty struggle (which never occurred).

AnyVare

I just hope I can get the beast up on my ramps. My G8 GT air dam was too low in the front, and my GTO scrapes as well. But the front on the Stinger seems closer to the front wheels so maybe ....
Maybe thats why he was using a couple of stacked 10x2's? IMO, that turned me off on the whole video. I'm a fan of DIR-DIY. "Do It Right" - DIY.

mldavis2

1000 Posts Club!
Neosho, MO
As a former automotive service manager, w/ decades of training and experience, I felt capable to prevail in a warranty struggle (which never occurred).
Good to see other service managers on here.

StingerGTandMe

Maybe thats why he was using a couple of stacked 10x2's? IMO, that turned me off on the whole video. I'm a fan of DIR-DIY. "Do It Right" - DIY.
What you didn't like my buddies wood blocks :) No im' just messing with you. Yeah it was sketchy but i know it was secure but yeah that't not a normal thing to do. We first went to my brothers shop and when we got there the lift was being used and so i had to resort to jacks and some good old wood :( Next time should be better

Mach_Tuck

1000 Posts Club!
Phoenix, AZ
To be honest, I am pretty disappointed the engineers "pointed" the drain hole right at a cross bar...WTF. A few more degrees down and it would drain without issue and mess. Will def need to craft something to place there and direct the oil flow as it drains. Perhaps a PVC "channel" or something.

Just infuriating to me to see that oil just splash everywhere. And don't even get me started on the location of that filter. Looks almost impossible to change with making a royal mess. Just foolish.

This alone may be reason enough to have e dealer do it and then make them steam clean the entire area after making a mess.

mldavis2

1000 Posts Club!
Neosho, MO
Many cars are like that. It's easier to balance the engine/transmission for weight and the body cross members for structural integrity than to move something just to make oil changing less messy. Cut a piece from a milk jug or something if you do it yourself. I've done that on several cars.

Chris

Stinger Enthusiast
MN
Many cars are like that. It's easier to balance the engine/transmission for weight and the body cross members for structural integrity than to move something just to make oil changing less messy. Cut a piece from a milk jug or something if you do it yourself. I've done that on several cars.
Just need to invest in a drain valve.

KIA - EZ Oil Drain Valve| Oildrainvalve.net

ScottE

Northern Arizona
I'll be installing a Fumoto valve on my first oil change. Had this on my Optima, and Sorento, and other cars in the past. Makes it super easy and clean to drain the oil. I'll also be cutting out part of the under body panel and making it so I just have to remove a small section rather than the whole thing. On our Sorento there's something like 16 bolts to remove the thing, at least the Stinger isn't that bad!

Do a search for flexible funnels - they are basically a lead sheet covered in plastic and work great at directing oil flow and drips away from crossbeams and such.

Mach_Tuck

1000 Posts Club!
Phoenix, AZ
I'll be installing a Fumoto valve on my first oil change. Had this on my Optima, and Sorento, and other cars in the past. Makes it super easy and clean to drain the oil. I'll also be cutting out part of the under body panel and making it so I just have to remove a small section rather than the whole thing. On our Sorento there's something like 16 bolts to remove the thing, at least the Stinger isn't that bad!

Do a search for flexible funnels - they are basically a lead sheet covered in plastic and work great at directing oil flow and drips away from crossbeams and such.
No need for a flex funnel with these "on/off" type valves...Just picked up a 2016 Sorento and have not had a change to change oil yet...will be getting one of these for sure. Dont like the sound of 16+ bolts either to get to it, perhaps will be firing up the dremel on that one too!

Aquadog

Just a thought if you change your own or oil might that not void the warranty. Apparently to have it serviced you can take it anywhere just so long as they have a certified mechanics, so I would imagine Jiffy Lube or any of the other speedy lube places would fall under that criteria . So with that being said can Kia void the warranty , if you're not a certified mechanic and you change your own oil ?

StingerGTandMe

Just a thought if you change your own or oil might that not void the warranty. Apparently to have it serviced you can take it anywhere just so long as they have a certified mechanics, so I would imagine Jiffy Lube or any of the other speedy lube places would fall under that criteria . So with that being said can Kia void the warranty , if you're not a certified mechanic and you change your own oil ?
Simple answer is no. Keep records and receipts. Kia would have to put it in there warranty information that says oil change must be done at dealership to keep warranty and they don't. Magnuson moss warranty act. Look it up.