1. The Kia Stinger Owners Group is a private community. Please login or register to unlock the full content.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger - Australia discussions (pre-release)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by app_master, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Shark16

Shark16 New Member

Well done App_master.

You wont believe this but I have just come back from the local Hyundai dealer and in the middle of the showroom they had a i30 SR Turbo in orange. It looked awesome and I loved the orange seatbelts and all the colour coding inside. And it has a powerful engine for its size.

Congratulations, you will love it. But don't forget the speed limit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. app_master

app_master Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member

Yeah Cool Shark. This was not an alternative for me to the Stinger, no way. Just something else we a happened to be working on at the same time. Bit off topic here, but can I ask what you might be considering from Hyundai too? ...before we get back on-topic. Ta mate.

3. Skyguy

Skyguy Member

Mate I'd pick the G80 sport over the stinger, but it will once again be a gook $10k over the stinger too. G70 would be wicked, but just a little too small for my needs.

4. Nujee

Nujee Member

I think Smart money is on waiting for the hype to die down. I am more curious to see where the 2.0ltr GT Line ends up. 190kw is more then enough and I don't want a gas guzzling V6 ( who am I kidding, the Minister for war and finance said nope to a 60k Kia) :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Clarence

Clarence New Member

I think the GT will do very well indeed and deservedly so. There ain't a lot spec for spec that competes with it - I'll bet the reviews will knock our socks off, it'll be a friggin demon. Kia is let's just say confident with its pricing.

Australia has drawn the SS replacement comparo which is understandable even if it wasn't Kia's benchmark and that sets the first expectation.

Now the fact that we pre order guys were all signed up on the basis of $60k (that's the number wink wink) tells me the dealers had all been given a consistent basis for making an offer and that supports the expectation. Something changed along the way !

This will be a good machine for sure. A good deal, but not as good a deal as most of us had first thought. I'll take a step back (don't need to be first) and I'll buy a new one for closer to 60 drive away when everything cools down a bit. Love a good car and a good deal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stingersteve

stingersteve New Member

Spoke to Kia Rep today, hearing now first release round (us) won't have the exhaust (3k) option ready to fit. Thats fine, ill lock it in for the 1000km service to fit on. Kia contact Walkinshaw and HSV to see who's doing it, remaining tight lipped, but Kia accessories team says not ready by end of next month for us.

7. app_master

Good post Clarence.

What changed? ... I think finding the market sector globally, not just locally. Have they missed the mark? Hell no. But for me to buy it now was preset by their own original pricing. As mentioned I'll wait, perhaps get a later build, it will be fully proven and bugged out by then too. Happy to look at demos and I'll be looking for discounts. Might be 6 months, 12 months, 2 years away. This is now the third time I've almost bought a Kia, still might be. They are still brand building and this is a major step. But like you said ... I too love a good car but a good deal helps me own one.
    Cheers.

PS ... I'm eager to test driving a manual mustang GT. That may apease my wants in the meantime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. richard

richard Member

Just had some good news. I,m looking at leasing / salary packaging the stinger through my work and they just gave me the quote. The first think they do is remove the GST so with all the insurances they add on the price comes in at 62k for top space GT so had advised the dealer to keep my order until I test drive and take from there. The dealer stated car would in Australia early October.

9. app_master

So like about 68200 contract sale. Wow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. richard

richard Member

That's 62k drive away

11. app_master

Sorry mate. Lets clarify. Do you mean 62k including or excluding GST?

12. richard

richard Member

The staff from my salary packaging contacted my kia dealer and they stated the drive away cost of the GT would be $65070. So the salary packaging team then take the GST of $5235 Off the drive away cost making it $59835. They then add the cost of comprehensive motor vehicle insurance and establishment fees of $1580. This gives me a drive away cost of $61415.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Tazztattoo

Tazztattoo New Member

I have the top spec GT on order and my dealer has advised that in the coming weeks Kia will announce "drive away" all inclusive price points. Maybe the drive away offers will come in slightly under where the standard price announced this week (plus the usual on road charges) would normally position the total cost???

Anyway, since they have already ordered a car for me that is going to cost more than my agreed contract price (giving me the option to cancel the contract) i figure I might as well wait until full specs and firm pricing is available, have a test drive and if I'm not happy with the car and the deal I can just walk away and get my deposit back. Cancelling the contract now means I would have to reorder a new car down the track and start the 3 month waiting process again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. richard

richard Member

Sounds like a good plan to me as I'm in the same boat as you. Waiting to see how good they are and if happy sign on the line.

15. app_master

I do wish you all the best (Richard, Tazztatto). It is set to be an awesome drive and we'd like to see you and plenty of others on the road in them.

I replied my counter offer after receiving the revised sales contract recently. The dealer an I parted ways at that point, for now.
    I'm in hope of being a Stinger driver sometime in the future ... but well past the release date now. And yes...I'm still in bitter disappointment, damn it, but I'm getting over it and coming back to my own reality.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM
  16. richard

richard Member

Thanks app master. I will keep you all up to date with what happens. I do have some other concerns about the stinger as I am 203 cm or 6 feet 8 inches tall for the Americans out there and haven't seen any videos showing tall people in this car so I hope there's enough headroom for me. I have no problems with the commodore so hope it's all good but won't know until I drive one.

17. Skyguy

Skyguy Member

Just have the sunroof open and you'll be sweet!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. stingersteve

stingersteve New Member

Theres a 6'6" driver who sat in a blue one - ill need to find the video.

19. ralzod

ralzod New Member

I always thought this was cool trivia, along with the fact that Porsche lost out on the 928 becoming the Magnum-mobile...

"The Ferraris used in the show had to be specially modified to accomodate Tom Selleck, who stands 6'4" tall. The padding was removed from the seats so he would sit lower in the car, and the seats were bolted as far away from the steering wheel as possible to maximize the leg room. Even with these modifications you can still see that Selleck's head is higher than the top of the front windshield frame! You very rarely saw Magnum drive with the top up." [source]

[​IMG]

20. ralzod

ralzod New Member

Saw that, and I'm pretty sure this is a still from the video, but I'm still searching. Tall drivers need to stick together, and get that video title searchable!

stingerTalldriver.jpg