1. The Kia Stinger Owners Group is a private community. Please login or register to unlock the full content.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger - Australia discussions (pre-release)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by app_master, Apr 13, 2017.

1. app_master

app_master Active Member Founding Member

I've thought about this for a while and finally decided to open this thread for specific "Aussie" local discussions prior to release. Welcome all international comments though. I'm sure we'll need other threads to discuss more when it's actually released and driven.

I know of two us us here (myself and Marco-Oz) that frequent this forum with various input as we prepare ourselves for the inevitable purchase.

I'll start the discussion with this new article; https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1704/kia-stinger-could-get-more-hardcore-aussie-soundtrack

Noteworthy bits;
    • bespoke exhaust note tuning...possible exhaust tune specific for Australian cars
    • specific chassis tune for cars sold locally...[but also] "happy with Stinger out of the box"
    • Graeme Gambold ... [local] vehicle dynamics expert has a free reign to fettle any part of the Stinger he sees fit...has permission to work on whatever he likes on this car...really focused on performance.. [to quote him?] ‘hands off that’s mine.’
    • exhibits predictable on-the-limit performance similar to BMW’s 2000 E46 M3...This car has a better compliance ride to it and that’s where Biermann actually benchmarked it.
    • holding more than 30 [pre]orders ...Every order is for the 3.3
    • we will be spot-on with our pricing and very competitive
    • change the badge? There is no way known that we would even contemplate it
    Ready, Set, Discuss...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. stingersteve

stingersteve New Member

Another Aussie here as well in melb's, ive put one down and followed this car since day 1, was going to get a Clubsport but chose this due to the potential and quality interior it has.

I'd probably do a tune and leave everything else, if there are bigger turbos downstream from tuners i may look into them, but this will be a killer car and people will realise this come September, can't wait!

going for the blue one and will change the wheels over not sure on wheels yet but looking at Ferrado wheels

[​IMG]

seanmccubb and Marco-Oz like this.
  3. Marco-Oz

Marco-Oz New Member

Those wheels would look awesome.
    Very much the same as you stingersteve, I delayed buying a car until this was released in Detroit, then I quickly made up my mind. I'm also in Melb and would consider a tune, air intake and exhaust but will wait for all the bugs to be worked out first and see weather it needs any mods.
    Most recent local articles gives me the impression that Kia Australia (Merideth/Gambold) understand the local market by adding a bit of brute to an already great luxury sports sedan.
    I think if they get the mix right it will appeal to a broader buyer than the locally made Holden and Ford.

4. app_master

Hey guys. Those wheels on the bottom right look amazing, stingersteve. I'm with marco on won't modify till well into ownership, if at all. I actually like the idea of having a "stock" car that is already amazing. The luxury part of the stinger equation is what is swaying me over the perceived competion in Australia i.e the current and future Holden ford counterparts, I just don't see them stacking up near it.

Marco-Oz likes this.
  5. stingersteve

stingersteve New Member

If i was to be swayed that new G70 Hyundai looks amazing for a car body, rest is all stinger tho :p

[​IMG]

But thankfully im one of the early deposits (about 3 months back) ready and waiting for my TT Stinger delivery.

6. Marco-Oz

Marco-Oz New Member

It definitely got my attention earlier today when I saw it, I agree it has similarities to the Stinger but is shorter and narrower which doesn't suit me as I'll use the stinger as a second family car, not to mention this will be some what dearer.
    Stinger all the way.

7. app_master

New article; https://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/5796C2FB9C76303FCA25810600254C7C

More of the same info but it does seem to "confirm" there is to be different variations of the V6 powered Stinger, up to 3, to be made available. They are calling it an "entry-level V6".

My absolute guess as to what Australia Kia Stinger models on offer will be...(AUD (not USA) price estimates too)...
    • $42K --- SL (or maybe "Sport"), 2.0L GDI Turbo (entry level)
    • $45K --- Premium, 2.0L GDI Turbo
    • $49K --- Sport, 3.3L GDI V6 Twin Turbo (entry level)
    • $52K --- Premium, 3.3L GDI V6 Twin Turbo
    • $55K --- GT, GDI V6 Twin Turbo
    My opinion though ... They should not offer multiple "GT" versions and definitely one that does not get ALL of and the best features. I'm actually annoyed they plan to offer the 3.3 V6 in lower spec grade. It would be nice for the GT (or GT-Line) to be exclusive to their best drive-train. It also opens the window for them to charge more for the "fullest version" and that will piss me off even more.

I am of the opinion there should be a singular hero model (GT), at least from the initial model launch.

I understand why in our market they are doing this but it is still an interesting tack to take...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. Marco-Oz

Marco-Oz New Member

My Opinion is that their trying to give the options similar to the Commodore SS, SSV and SSV Redline, for what ever reason as the Holden has dropped the SSV version this year.
    I have also been thinking if this car will be used by the police they would obviously want the power without all the luxury options (eg sunroof, heated seats etc) and it is an easier to just have the car available in their spec then to adjust individual cars.

9. app_master

Good call Marco.
    Ok then what do you think "GT" exclusive options might be then?
    • Brembo Brakes
    • Bespoke Exhaust System
    • 19" staggered wheel and tyre combo
    • Complex LED headlights
    • Sunroof
    • D-Cut steering wheel
    • GT badging
    • Dark Chrome
    • Ultra-soft Nappa leather choices
    • Heated/ventilated seats
    • Colour HUD
    • Colour TFT instrument cluster
    • 15 speaker Harmon Kardon Audio
    • Enhanced infotainment (i.e. bigger screen)
    • UVO eSERVICES with Navigation
    Did I miss anything important?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:50 AM
    seanmccubb likes this.
  10. Marco-Oz

Marco-Oz New Member

App_Master, I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    I'm guessing it's going to have all the safety features and probably be optioned with the brembo's.

app_master likes this.
  11. app_master

12. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger Administrator Staff Member

Hey Aussies! Would you like me to create a subforum for your discussions? As it is, I think it's going to get difficult to find things if ALL Australian Stinger discussion is done in this one topic... Let me know what you think...

Thank you...

seanmccubb likes this.
  13. hereward

hereward New Member

Any guesses on correlating the estimated Australian prices to what could be the US prices?

If we take the exchange rate of 0.78US$/AU$, the AU$55,000 top end GT comes to about US$42,000? My opinion is that this will not happen, and the GT price in US$ will be US$55,000.

14. Bamm1

Bamm1 Active Member Founding Member

The 2018 Genesis G80 Sport (RWD) is priced at $55,250 (see the thread in the community lounge). No way the Stinger GT is even close to that number.

15. app_master

Up to you, but happy to discuss all the pre release aussie stuff in here.
    Trying to apply exchange rates for car pricing never works (Example price is $100k for BMW 440. Wtf! ) We have free trade I believe with korea. They have specific target market in mind here being the Holden and Ford's rwd rivals too, so they need to be hitting those marks.

16. Marco-Oz

Marco-Oz New Member

Either way, I'm also not fussed.
    Cheers