Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Issue Number SA322 - Rattle Noise from Tailgate

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by Larry Denen, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Stinger Enthusiast

Has anybody that’s had hatch noise fixed had noise pop up again. I had fixed 2 times with both tsb worked good for couple months now back again on very hard bumps. I wonder if hatch is pulled down so tight if latch is going bad getting worn out faster. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks guys

2. junesrig

junesrig United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Same here, has been to dealer twice. The repair last for a couple of weeks and returns. According to them my vehicle does not qualify for the other TSB. But something needs to be done, the rattle is annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

2 times unlucky here too ...........I strongly suggest you contact KIA USA and get yourselves on the list of "concerned consumers" it makes a difference !!

4. Fl stingergt

Mine is doing it when car is low on gas with no weight back there. Then you hit bump and when car weight unloads hatch makes that fun metal noise. Fill it up and it’s quite unless I really hit hard bump.there going to try again will see . They are running out of ideas.

5. Fl stingergt

I think a lot of the cars have the problem. People just don’t notice it. I got my car in winter and drove around with windows open and radio up could not hear. Right when summer hit and windows up and radio down. First bump I was like what the hell is that noise

6. Bobr

Bobr Norway Active Member

To all who have issues: right after tailgate closed down with down movement, does it "tighten up the lock" in your case? Or you don't see any additional "tighten movement"? If "no", then it closed not so tight and rattle comes from that fact imho. Sorry, no video for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fl stingergt

My hatch is manual Close have gt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bobr

Bobr Norway Active Member

From another thread looks as some "SA347 striker adjustment" is there.

9. Fl stingergt

Head that done already along with sa322 still makes noise over hard bumps. Going back in next week

10. Namuna

Namuna United States Member

Just over 500 miles on my base GT and I'm starting to hear/feel this "rattle". Thought I didn't shut the trunk properly, but no warnings that it was open and on inspection it's definitely closed.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread, I've contacted my salesguy and told him the issue I'm having and that I'd like to schedule to come in and have the 2 TSBs (sa322 and sa347) associated with this issue applied. I was told the service manager is already gone for the day, but I was promised a call 1st thing tomorrow morning to discuss the matter.

11. Fl stingergt

The over slam rubber buttons on corners suck. They slowly screw them self in over time and ware out. You have to keep putting them back in right position. Have had kia fix three times. Took it upon myself put some electric tape around and thread back in. Then put a couple raps around outside to keep them from spinning back in. Seems to work for now

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Scorpio Redux

Scorpio Redux United States Member

I too have had the rear hatch rattle "fixed" at least three times (with reference to both TSBs), only to hear it return. I have now noticed a few things about the factory spoiler panel that sits atop the rear of the hatch:

1. Black gasket-like material is coming out of the leading edge of the spoiler at the window line and,

2. The spoiler flexes and has movement if I lift up the trailing edge (above the license plate) and,

3. When the spoiler moves these it makes a noise.

I don't know if this is (part?) of what I am hearing when I drive over bumps, but I will insist that the dealer fix the spoiler.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

A rattling hatch produces vibration which then results in the loosening of the spoiler over time and the slow exposure of the insulating material under/inside the spoiler. If the hatch doesn't rattle first, there is no subsequent issue with the material becoming exposed (or dislodging).

14. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I noticed this gasket material sticking out on my car a few weeks ago too. It made me mad so I grabbed a panel remover tool and shoved it back in where it belongs and hasn't come out since.

I posted in the door "ticking" thread that I have a rattle sound coming from the rear door area, but after sitting in the back seat and hitting panels and whatnot, I cannot reproduce the issue. Since it does sound like a "rattle" noise, slightly metallic, it may actually be the hatch starting to rattle. It's so hard to tell in a modern car sitting in the driver's seat trying to diagnose while driving.

Someone noted they put a little piece of rubber that sits between the black bumpers on the hatch and hatch area and it fixed his problem. I think I'll try this as a means of diagnosing if my rattle is coming from the hatch. If it does prove this, I may just put in some kind of rubber gasket on the upper or lower bumper to reduce the noise until I take the car in for the first service. It's not bad enough that it warrants a visit just for this, but heck, I bought a car with 5 year warranty, so Kia can try to fix it on their dime. Hopefully not with dimes though, like in the door tick DIY fix! lol

15. sym

sym United States Active Member

I took this advice except I used teflon tape instead. About 10 wraps. It might not last forever but I don't hear it when I go over bumps anymore. And it took 3 minutes so even if it comes back it's not a hard fix.

I definitely get an audible "thunk" when the trunk hatch releases now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JWS

JWS United States Newish Member

Sitting in the Kia dealer's service waiting area while they look into the infamous hatchback rattle noise. Unfortunately, as many know, over larger bumps in the road it's a lot more than a rattle, more like a metallic thud. very interested in what they have to say about this. Have a base GT and noticed the noise within days of purchasing it. Seems to be worse when it's cold outside (guessing some metal components contract a bit when cold?).

Thankfully, it is a cool morning so like to think they wont come back and say 'we don't hear it....everything is fine.' if they cannot fix it, which seems somewhat probable after reading about this, then the issue could qualify for remedies under the Lemon laws.

While it is not a condition that impairs the driving aspects of the vehicle, it is very annoying and not acceptable, especially for a $30 some thousand dollar vehicle (the most expensive car I ever bought).

My old partner represented a client in a lemon law case about 20yrs ago that bought a new Honda Accord and the while it did not appear to affect any of the vehicle's functions, the check engine light was always on... the dealer could never get it to go off. The end result of his case was that he ended up with a free Honda Accord if I recall correctly. Just saying, something could/should be done about this. personally, I'd rather it just be fixed but if not, the damn roads around here are very bumpy and not sure I can just live with it. should not have to rig a new vehicle up with tape and what not.

17. Revvdmedia

I very luckily do not have the hatch rattle, but I did have the metallic thud. I initially threaded the rubber bump stops further out thinking that would keep it from ever rattling, but that is what caused the thud. As soon as I spun the rubber stoppers further IN, the thud stopped completely. I think the bumpers were keeping those rectangle bumpers from touching, and they would hit each other over big bumps causing the slam. Try that?

18. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

make a case to KIA USA , the dealers will bury the issue , the National guys need more pressure

19. JWS

JWS United States Newish Member

Service update...went in at 8am CST already back in the office. Dealer's service dept was very friendly and fairly fast working.
    after a little less than two hours, the young lady service writer tells me one mechanic/professional car squeak listener? drove the vehicle and heard something and another has to drive it. then about 45 mins later she comes in and says your paperwork is ready. Was on phone for business so could not talk to her. needed to get out of there and back to work so went in signed my paperwork and got out of there. another service writer says license plate bracket loose (not buying this...put it on myself and went fairly tight) and they adjusted the 'hatch stoppers.' nevertheless, did not hear any hatch noises on way to office and went over some low to medium bumps but nothing drastic.
    Only time will tell.
    FYI...WestcoastGT, I am sure you are correct. shortly after purchasing the vehicle I emailed my salesperson about the issue and he claimed he never heard of hatch noise issues with the Stinger. not sure I buy this either, as they appear to move them in fairly decent numbers at this dealership. in the back of my mind I recalled reading of some hatchback noise issues in one of the car mag reviews. So was pretty sure it was no secret around this rather large dealership.

20. Revvdmedia

Since some guys seem to be adjusting the bump stops and the rattle goes away, I highly suggest guys take a measurement of the extrusion of the bumper when the hatch ISN'T rattling. If it starts to rattle, thread them back out to the point that they don't rattle, assuming the bumpers moved in or out. Using tape or something to help secure it in that same spot might be a temporary fix, but if these bumpers keep running themselves in or out, Kia needs to think of a permanent retainer, like maybe a revised bump stop with a locknut design to keep it at a certain distance.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted