Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Issue Number SA322 - Rattle Noise from Tailgate

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by Larry Denen, Jan 28, 2018.

1. jrhodes87

jrhodes87 United States Active Member

I would only get it over very hard bumps, which in chicago is like every 20 feet because this state is poor as shit and can't fix their roads... anyways!!

after seeing the post above about the bump stops I actually twisted mine out to where the first thread was barely visible, have not heard a noise yet, the hatch when I open it gives a much more noticeable "pop" or release. I imagine over time they will slide back in, so I will be trying the tape method today...

That or I may measure the inside of the bump stop holder and add maybe a quarter to 1/2 inch of rubber in there to just prevent them from going in any further.

2. cjkgt97

cjkgt97 United States Newish Member

Result of the service has been no more clunking. They actually said the TSB was done on my car before purchase, but one of the buffers was not adjusted correctly, per the guidance. Drove from High Point, NC to Charlotte, and back again yesterday (~200 miles). No clunking.

They blamed the panoramic roof for the popping sound and said it has been a problem on Optimas in the past. They also said Kia hasn't issued any guidance yet on what to look for. They must ohave done something though as it has stopped for the most part, although it has been cloudy and cool here and I normally notice it the most during days where the temp changes 20 degrees or more.

They didn't address the computer and said the drive modes reverting to Comfort and Eco are "by design".

3. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

Correct. It’s documented on page 5-105 of the US manual.

4. Todd Piefer

Todd Piefer United States Member

The fix used on mine a few months ago is now published in a new (April) TSB -- SA347. "Rear Hatch Rattle Repair by Striker Adjustment" For those who didn't get satisfactory results from prior adjustments, this worked for me and the rattle has not returned.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Scorpio Redux

Scorpio Redux United States Member

This new TSB may be good news for me since my hatch rattle has been "fixed" three times and has always returned.

Can you give me details of the procedure described in the new SA347 TSB?

6. Todd Piefer

It's a multi-page document but essentially they pop the spot welds that are keeping bigger adjustments from being made. It took my dealer about ten minutes plus a quick road test.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club!

Thanks for letting us know about the new TSB! If anyone can get a copy of it, we'd all appreciate it!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. junesrig

junesrig United States Member Sustaining Member

Has anyone seen any update on this TSB, my rattle has returned after two visits to dealer. Called service department and they weren't aware of a new TSB for the hatch issue. If anyone has copy and can post, I would really appreciate it.

9. Todd Piefer

SA347 was sent to all Kia service departments. They can look it up for you.

10. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Thanks

11. pmorello

pmorello United States Newish Member

I checked the NHTSA for my VIN and it didn't come back with any recalls, however I've been experiencing this issue extensively since getting my premium stinger in February. I made an appt with the dealer for this Friday and really hope they'll fix it the first go around. I attached this SA to the appt for them so they should have a head's up before I get there. Additionally, I've been experiencing some deep rumbling/rattling noise when I'm in idle and/or in reverse coming from the front passenger area. I don't see anything out of the ordinary when I look around there.

12. upsidedown

upsidedown Australia Member

I hope you have better luck with your dealer than I'm having with mine. I took mine in for a fix in February and had the SA322 install done but it did not fix it. I took it back a few weeks ago for the mechanic to listen and after ordering a kit I had the work done. Not surprisingly it still rattles as the kit they just installed is the same one they did in February? I then told them about SA347 but according to them this does not exist in Australia. I am going to let them know again so that at least they can pass the info back to Kia that the SA322 fix didn't work.

13. junesrig

junesrig United States Member Sustaining Member

Yeah, my dealer is trying to say that SA347 does not list my VIN number as being affected. But if SA322 did not fix it twice prior, I think you would move on to SA347:confused:

14. upsidedown

upsidedown Australia Member

Yes I would go to SA347 if Kia Australia had it as an option but my dealer said no and it has nothing to do with the VIN no. Just not available apparantly which is weird considering the US has it for the exact same problem?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. pmorello

Well, update, rescheduled for Monday afternoon since they don't have the part for SA347. However, they said there's another recall for the gear shift logic (which is in another thread) that I qualify for. So, to me, sounds like I'm covered by the Service Action. Will keep yall posted.

16. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

I had my hatch rattle fixed with the SA347 , the first fix made it worse !

17. pmorello

Well yall, they fixed it. They went ahead and did both SA's. It's peaceful now and I feel like I finally have a new car between this fix and the gear shift logic. Additionally, the rattling I was experiencing in the front passenger area was apparently due to the heat guard(?) or whatever, some plate that protected the undercarriage. Well, apparently that got knocked loose somehow but they tested it around and fixed it. For the first time since February I feel like I truly have a new car.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Keith Ruff

Keith Ruff United States Member

I wonder what the build date was for this issue? I had my Stinger in for warranty work (center console issue) and asked them to check the recall for the tail gate. They told me my VIN doesn't apply for the TSB. My build date is 12/2017. I hear an occasional metallic type of noise from the rear, not very often though. Was thinking it was the tailgate issue but I guess not.

19. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 1000 Posts Club!

I read these older, long threads in their entirety, and it's almost as compulsive as witnessing a slow train wreck! A first year production run will come up with all kinds of bugs. I think that the Stinger seems largely free of them. But of course these individuals beg to differ! Here's to permanent fixes! (I posted here at all just so I can get updates on this one too.)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States Stinger Enthusiast

You should see the thread over on the Volvo XC90 when it came out. Since the Stinger was announced and came out, I'm not on the Volvo forums as much to know how the XC60 and 40 are doing but even the S90 had some growing pains in the first year. Although in comparison, the Stinger's issues are minor. Folks here should probably peruse the forums of the "luxury" brands to hear about what those folks experience on first year cars.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted