Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Issue Number SA322 - Rattle Noise from Tailgate

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by Larry Denen, Jan 28, 2018.

1. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

exactly why more pressure on KIA Corp vs dealers will get this resolved properly

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia United States 1000 Posts Club!

I agree. I'm not an engineer by any stretch, but I tend to be an observer and thinker...I would think my idea is logical and an engineer (Kia) can either implement of improve this idea...Mine isn't rattling now so there is nothing to report, but those who have this problem could suggest this idea.

3. Revvdmedia

I measured the protrusion of the rubber bump stops as currently set. My left side is 1cm and the right side is 1.5cm. At this height, I have no rattles. This protrusion measurement is just from the end of the plastic cone the bumpers sit in to the foot (end) of the bumper. I don't think I have the TSB kit installed unless the factory or dealer put this in pre-emptively (3/28 build). I currently have no rattles from the back. Maybe this can help some people to see if they can get rid of rattles?

Funny enough, based on the last time I played with the bump stops, I swear they're turning themselves in like others have noted. I thought they were further out than that a couple weeks ago, but I could be mistaken.

4. JWS

JWS United States Newish Member

Well whatever the dealer did yesterday, the issue is far from fixed. The main road from my house to the freeway is quite bumpy, and it was cold out, so the darn hatch was rattling and thumping the whole way. it was mainly on the pass side but this morning on driver's side as well.

considering applying pressure via legal action as from what I've read I don't see the issue ever getting fully fixed.

not up for listening to this every day for who knows how long, and none of us should have to apply our own fixes to a fairly expensive new car, or any new car for that matter.

and while I don't know if this is condoned on the site (admin I think would advise..apologize in advance if I am over stepping the boundaries of the forum, but this is an important issue. the rattle/noise at least to me is very annoying)
    I am interested in possibly representing others in similar claims and if allowed may start a new thread to gauge interest. there would be strength in numbers and we would need expert witnesses to testify as to the design defect as well as alternative designs which is rather costly. In any event, I'd be rather surprised if Kia did not know of this issue prior to the vehicle's release.

5. westcoastGT

they are well aware of it , my dealer has now ordered a new rear latch mechanism to replace the factory unit , we'll see !!

6. Revvdmedia

I'm curious to what the actual source of the rattling is. Aside from struts (hydraulic or electric), I only see 2 contact points that might rattle. It wouldn't not be the rubber bumpers rattling, those would squeak if defective, most likely. The rectangle bumpers might be a source of the rattling if there is insufficient contact and pressure between the two surfaces. The second source of the rattling might be slop between the latch and striker. It seems bump stop adjustment temporarily fixes this for some people, but I think designing a hatch that uses the bump stops to control the heights of the bumpers and latch seems flawed by design.

Maybe Kia needs to check out some other lift-back sedans like the S5 sportback and go back to the drawing board?

7. JWS

Or the Porsche Panamera, which I passed on my way to the store just recently and thought to myself I doubt it's hatchback rattles and makes metallic thump noises.
    I say this because I always liked those cars but of course not the price of the car, maintenance and repairs, and thought of the Stinger as a somewhat affordable version of the Porsche.

8. Norm W.

Norm W. United States Newish Member

I had the same issue. On rough roads the back was very noisy with creeks and thuds, been to the dealer twice. Decided to try something on my own. There are 2 stoppers, one on each side of the lift gate. Adjusted them out by turning them counter clockwise until the noise stopped on test runs. It looks like Kia didn't put locks on these stopper so they naturally loosen up. Hope that this helps.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. stingLikeAee

stingLikeAee United States Member

I futzed with my stoppers and seems to have fixed my rattle. Thanks @Norm W.

10. JWS

Service manager from the Dealership emailed me this morning. Very pleasantly stated that Kia is 'working on a solution' and he would advise once they had a fix. Never said anything to dealer about the failed repair but did go on and on in the online service survey about how the issue was not fixed and appears to be a manufacturing defect. so I guess, at least they are actually paying attention to and reviewing those online surveys.

on another note, quickly learning that while the issue does not completely disappear, it is far less noticeable when it is warm and humid, much louder and annoying when weather is cold and dry.

11. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor Texas Stinger Swarm

• Like Like x 3
  12. westcoastGT

, the sun roof noise is much more prevalent in the warm weather and is now gone with the cooler weather . I'm getting a new latch mechanism on my hatch tomorrow ..................we'll see

13. pmorello

pmorello United States Newish Member

So I got rear-ended in August and it took the dealership about a month to repair. My biggest concern about the entire repair the fact that they had to get an entirely new hatch door. I posted earlier in this topic stating they fixed the rattle; and idk if it was a premanent fix b/c it was only a month later I got rear ended. HOWEVER, I kept hounding the dealership to make sure they get the parts they used from the hatch fix previously. They said the new hatch doors now come with those hatch repairs from the two SA's or whatever. I'm sure yall can see where I'm going with this, but that ******* sound came back and it's louder than before I feel. Either that or I'm just livid and that much more intolerant about the whole situation. I've been trying to get them to have me come in but they keep sending me in circles between the service and collision depts. The dealership is a good 30mi away. The roads around me may be the very same roads JWS drives on since they're rough AF. I'm willing to attempt some DIY's b/c I'm fed up with my dealership.

Oh! Almost forgot to mention that, yes, I too am experiencing the sounds from the sunroof and the metallic pop from the hatch from big bumps.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. GregM

GregM United States Member

So I did what was recommended in the YouTube video above and it worked wonderfully. Three weeks in now and I have not heard one single rattle from the trunk anymore.
    This makes me believe that KIA’s SA idea is good but poorly implemented. The “secret” lies in the thickness of the shims/washers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Stinger Enthusiast

I had mine fixed 4 times at dealer and never totally quieted it. Until I saw video online added another washer problem solved. My car has been fixed know more noise. Kia fix is not going thick enough on rail guides on sides of hatch.

And pieces are plastic that’s why people notice noise more when it gets cold plastic shrinks. Then it gets hot and expands noise gone again.those side pieces have been problem from the start.my dealer ran out of things to do and blamed the aftermarket lowering springs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

@Fl stingergt Funny, but not funny. And I have to wonder how a rattle fixed with washers in cold weather is going to work out when it does get hot. Putting too much strain on the latch can't be a good thing.

17. Fl stingergt

Have not had problems with it for months sense adding just a little bit more thickness. That was the fix from kia add more space to get to pieces closer together. They just didn’t go far enough.

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself to make it right.otherwise I have no complaints about kia or car. They have fixed everything else with know problems. Also got kia USA to drop a few payments off for those little problems. And all’s I did was ask nicely. No problem I love my kia stinger

Do you have white stinger in Florida

That was question for Pmorello. What state are you in. Just saw a white stinger with bad rearend damage a month or so ago

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pmorello

pmorello United States Newish Member

This thread got me worked up and motivated yesterday, so I went to the store and bought the washers from the youtube video. Did the installation and test drove last night... no rattle. On my daily morning lunar landscape commute an hour ago... no rattle. It's glorious. Hope it lasts. I kept the tools and washers in my car in case it ever comes back. I also did the adjustment on the corner rubber screws that were shown in the video as well.

Another thing to note: the video states there's one washer in each socket if Kia has not done the fix and two if they have. Now, remember I got a new hatch door after I got rear ended and was told the new doors (August 2018) had the two washers already installed. When I went to do the fix from the video, I was surprised to see that not only were there not two washers, but there weren't ANY washers there at all. It was just plastic. So, again, in the video it says if there's one washer already there from Kia you'd add only one of the new washers (have both the old and the new in each socket) and if there are two from Kia you would only have one new washer in each socket, which is what I did.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fl stingergt

Yep same happened to me but there was one washer not 2. Added another all good. What state are you in pmorello?

20. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor Texas Stinger Swarm

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted