Issue Number SA322 - Rattle Noise from Tailgate

GuyManDude

Central NJ
I just dropped my Stinger off at the dealer for them to get the noise fixed for the fourth time. The service rep showed me they have a second TSB on the issue due to complaints of the first repair not always working. Let’s hope this gets it once and for all. Side note the have some GT’s and a GT 2 available for sale. I saw both black and blue for the colors.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
I just dropped my Stinger off at the dealer for them to get the noise fixed for the fourth time. The service rep showed me they have a second TSB on the issue due to complaints of the first repair not always working. Let’s hope this gets it once and for all. Side note the have some GT’s and a GT 2 available for sale. I saw both black and blue for the colors.
They have a TSB on the TSB. :eek:

DaJackson

1000 Posts Club!
Louisiana
Is there a VIN lookup for this TSB? My build date is 11/17 but I don’t know when within November it wasn’t built.

I haven’t heard the rattle in my GT1 but I haven’t gone over many bumpy roads yet. I did her it very easily on a GT2 I test drove though.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
Is there a VIN lookup for this TSB? My build date is 11/17 but I don’t know when within November it wasn’t built.

I haven’t heard the rattle in my GT1 but I haven’t gone over many bumpy roads yet. I did her it very easily on a GT2 I test drove though.
Welcome aboard, @DaJackson! Thank you for signing up and congratulations on your Stinger GT! Unfortunately, there is no known VIN list or lookup for this issue. They won't let it out...

Todd Piefer

I just dropped my Stinger off at the dealer for them to get the noise fixed for the fourth time. The service rep showed me they have a second TSB on the issue due to complaints of the first repair not always working. Let’s hope this gets it once and for all.
Is the rattle now fixed? What, if anything, extra did the dealer do to modify the fix kit based on the second TSB?

Last edited:

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I will not consider purchasing till they build a few thousand more units. My concern is IF there is something wrong that cannot be CURED, by simply new bump stops. Like flex in the unibody, around the large hatch opening. I sure hope not!!
What Stinger are you considering ? What other cars are you looking at ? What do you drive now ?

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
How did Kia not catch this before releasing the car for production? Doesn't bode well, IMO.
Moreover, how have none of the many reviewers not noticed it?

mikeceli

What Stinger are you considering ? What other cars are you looking at ? What do you drive now ?
This lifetime car guy has too many vehicles. I love em, but I am tired of the older ones. we are a family of Five drivers.

daily drivers
2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev Volt
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 diesel (the good diesel)
1986 Ford F250 4x4 6.9 diesel work truck
1979 SE "Bandit" Trans AM 403/AT
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
1995 Buick Roadmaster Sedan
project Status
(2) 1996 Chev Impala SS's
1986 Corvette Coupe 350 4+3 Stick
1989 Chev Camaro IROC_Z Convertible

All but the top 4 will be sold over the next year, or so. One old car is a hobby, my list is an obsession.

Wife and I looked at the 2017 Impala, Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX350(which I came close to buying). I just couldn't get excited about spending $35-$51 thousand, on any of them. (I am very frugal).

I took my daughter to the KIA dealer to shop Optima's and I saw the Stinger. I paid it little mind to it, at the time. Couple weeks later, I saw a red one, on the turntable, at the SF Auto show. Not recognizing it, I was blown away by it's great looks! So, here I am.

I haven't been as excited about a car, since I flew to OKC OK. to buy a 2001 Corvette, in 2003. It's performance, was incredible! Numbers simaler to the Stinger (except G force in turns). I sold it because wife and I just got tired of sitting so low to the ground.

I am considering the GT2, because my wife wants a sunroof and she will need BSM, w/ the marginal views, backing up/merging.

Sorry to go on, so much.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Well I figure I got one of the first GTs in North America and mine had a small trunk rattle that I fixed by adjusting the pins by half a turn , never heard a peep since . When you hear a creaking sound then you suspect a torsional rigidity issue , None ! I think youre safe , now go get that GT !!:p:thumbup:
This lifetime car guy has too many vehicles. I love em, but I am tired of the older ones. we are a family of Five drivers.

daily drivers
2016 Chev Cruze
2014 Chev Volt
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 diesel (the good diesel)
1986 Ford F250 4x4 6.9 diesel work truck
1979 SE "Bandit" Trans AM 403/AT
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
1995 Buick Roadmaster Sedan
project Status
(2) 1996 Chev Impala SS's
1986 Corvette Coupe 350 4+3 Stick
1989 Chev Camaro IROC_Z Convertible

All but the top 4 will be sold over the next year, or so. One old car is a hobby, my list is an obsession.

Wife and I looked at the 2017 Impala, Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX350(which I came close to buying). I just couldn't get excited about spending $35-$51 thousand, on any of them. (I am very frugal).

I took my daughter to the KIA dealer to shop Optima's and I saw the Stinger. I paid it little mind to it, at the time. Couple weeks later, I saw a red one, on the turntable, at the SF Auto show. Not recognizing it, I was blown away by it's great looks! So, here I am.

I haven't been as excited about a car, since I flew to OKC OK. to buy a 2001 Corvette, in 2003. It's performance, was incredible! Numbers simaler to the Stinger (except G force in turns). I sold it because wife and I just got tired of sitting so low to the ground.

I am considering the GT2, because my wife wants a sunroof and she will need BSM, w/ the marginal views, backing up/merging.

Sorry to go on, so much.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Moreover, how have none of the many reviewers not noticed it?
I'm assuming they have the demo cars thoroughly inspected/tested prior to releasing them to any journalist , they must have found out or know of the vulnerability of the potential issue and made sure it was "fixed" ..................

ERS

Bryan, do you have any addition info on the "TSB for the TSB." My hatch noise is now back after having the original TSB 322 kit installed.

GuyManDude

Central NJ
Bryan, do you have any addition info on the "TSB for the TSB." My hatch noise is now back after having the original TSB 322 kit installed.
I don’t have it to post but the was another bulletin that came out recently. There is another fix recommended if the first TSB did not work. I had this done and it did fix the problem. I would just let your dealer know and they should take care of it for you. I do understand how annoying it is but there is light at the end of the tunnel.