Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Issue Number SA322 - Rattle Noise from Tailgate

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by Larry Denen, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Eugene Onegin

Eugene Onegin United States Active Member

Love is blind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Klem

Klem United States New Member

I have a GT2 AWD which only has 400 or so miles on it. I did not have any noises or rattles but I did have a more serious problem. I went out to get in my car in the morning and found the rear hatch window cracked like a spiders web. It wasn't vandalism. It was 31 degrees and sunny outside so it came as a big surprise. Its at the dealers now being replaced under warrantee . I should have it back tomorrow. I was fortunate that it happened in front of my house and not on the road or away from here. I took a chance buying a completely new type of vehicle, and I knew that. If this turns out to be the only problem, down the road, I'll just consider it to be a new design bug and move on. If , however, I have the same problem again, well, then were in a whole different light. I believe this was a one time event.
    As a side note, I've received 2 calls from the manufacturer and 3 calls from the repair dealership updating me on the status of the car and that repairs were being expedited .........that seems like good customer service to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

So after a month of the dealership fix for SA322 for my Stinger, my rattle is back. I first noticed it last weekend when I drove to Maryland for the KIA Stinger Experience tour. I was hoping it was just Maryland's overly bumpy roads on 495, but it has been happening all the time after that. I really noticed it last night on 95 S driving to Fredericksburg...

I was really hoping the dealer fix would be the only fix I needed. I am now waiting on a response from the dealership to see what the next step (Fix it!) is.

4. ERS

ERS United States Member

Please let everyone on this thread know about the dealer response and fix. Mine hasn’t returned since I took it in about 2 weeks after the original SA322 was installed and the Stinger mechanic added some more spacers/washers to the original kit. Evidently there was some additional guidance from the factory if the kit didn’t fully fix it the first time. Now the only problem I have is major creaking in the driver side dash area at low speeds, for which I have an appointment.

5. Luminary

I just heard back from Scott at Ourisman in Chantilly, and I will be dropping off my babe this afternoon for them to look at it. I will be getting a loaner, and will know more hopefully by tomorrow. I trust Scott, and he is a really good person and my "go to" guy at Ourisman.

I will definatly update this thread once I have an update. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Luminary

Just heard back from Ourisman. Scott has the day off, and you can tell when he is not there. Soooo they tell me they do not hear a rattle. Seriously? I asked if they drove it over some bumps at a good spead. They said they were about to go test drive it again to see if they can make it rattle.

The weather is calling for snow, and it is currently sleeting so I am impatiant to get home. They have had my babe for almost 24 hours now, and nothing has really been done yet. SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Oh Scott, why do you have to take days off? :p

7. ERS

ERS United States Member

I feel your pain!

8. Brandon

Brandon Canada New Member

The rattle comes back because the bump stops are self threading themselves in because they are over extended and therefore loose. There is a simple fix for this:

1. Take out the bump stops from the hatch
    2. Stretch 1.25 to 1.5 wraps of nice soft electrical tape around the threaded part of the bump stops. Line the tape up so the edge of the tape is at the end of the last thread in about the middle of the part.(Tape such as 3M Super 33+. It has to be soft stretchy stuff not that cheap vinyl crap.)
    3. You should clearly see the grooves/threads through the tape.
    4. Carefully twist the stops back in and they should go in until the tape is not visible/at the edge of the plastic base. It will be rather tight. Don't break/twist it off! If it feels like it may break then you used too much or the wrong kind of tape.
    5. The stops should be impervious to self movement now.

Test close the hatch. It should cinch down nicely and be rattle free![​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dochidalgo

Dochidalgo Mexico Active Member

May I ask you to post a picture? Thanks a lot in advance......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brandon

1523223018281.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brandon

I should add... this is something to do if you still have the rattle DESPITE having the TSB done.

In fact, I had no rattle UNTIL they did the TSB. What I found was that the rubber stops were working themselves in. The idea here is to prevent that and also to prevent them from falling out due to being wound in so little.

12. Dochidalgo

Dochidalgo Mexico Active Member

Thanks a lot, Brandon......

13. oxide365

oxide365 United States Active Member

And deaf! Im at the dealer. 5th visit to fix it ..they said they need car for whole day for kia tech line. Some thing about diagnostic computer needs to be hooked up lol!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. djjerrymcgee

djjerrymcgee United States Newish Member

My car is back at the dealer for the second time related to this. I will post what/if is done to correct it, it seems the rattle is worse than before the last time it was fixed. hopefully it gets settled.

15. oxide365

Mine is 90% fixed. Problem are those rubber stoppers are bottomed out and lower and they will fall off. Now I don't hear rattle but ocassional thump when going over hard bump .

16. Atif

Atif Australia Newish Member

I had my done couple of days ago and monitoring at the moment...
    no issues so far related to rattle but like @oxide365 said i am feeling the same thing

17. djjerrymcgee

djjerrymcgee United States Newish Member

got my car back, complete silence so far. very happy, but, i'm not to confident it will stay this way as after the first time fixed it was silent as well and gradually got worse and worse over few weeks. i'll keep updated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. oxide365

kia really needs to fix this, mine will be going back, rattle is getting worse again, after only 1 week!

19. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

Can you additionally call on their dedicated support line? That should be heard from all car owners as many times as needed until solved :devil:

• Like Like x 1
  20. cjkgt97

cjkgt97 United States Newish Member

Taking mine to Carolina Kia tomorrow for this and popping from the moon roof area. Also asked for a check to the head unit.

Draft saved Draft deleted