kia stinger store

Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
When my stepson was on my wireless data family plan, it would drive me crazy that he would eat up 15G of data in less than a month using a streaming music service. I didn't have unlimited so when it would go over, I would get charged. I had to constantly ask him to stop streaming so much music.
Another problem where I live (Sierra foothills), wireless coverage can be spotty at best.
I have most of my music on my iPhone, and play it via CarPlay, I have a wireless CarPlay adapter, works great.
I'm guessing he wasn't streaming just music.... ;)

Transmetal

I'm guessing he wasn't streaming just music.... ;)
Probably doing what my son does. He's on Xbox, playing Fortnite, while streaming his game via twitch on his laptop, while having YouTube on on his cellphone. Somehow he has a hard time grabbing BOTH the trash bag and the recycling at the same time but he can do all that shit at once?

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
They did move on from “cds”. Talk about keeping up with the times. Those are just like DVD’s

Ozstung

5000 Posts Club!
Western Sydney.
Probably doing what my son does. He's on Xbox, playing Fortnite, while streaming his game via twitch on his laptop, while having YouTube on on his cellphone. Somehow he has a hard time grabbing BOTH the trash bag and the recycling at the same time but he can do all that shit at once?
A very familiar universal tune inflicting generation "Now".

shoengine

Sustaining Member +
My phone would overheat (I have wireless charging off).
Killing the rear seat heat fixed the issue.
I'll have to try that. My phone hasn't shut off yet, but the wireless charging is slow and heats my phone up (Galaxy s10). My cheapo Anchor wireless charger on my desk doesn't heat my phone perceptibly.

Mesmorino

I'll have to try that. My phone hasn't shut off yet, but the wireless charging is slow and heats my phone up (Galaxy s10). My cheapo Anchor wireless charger on my desk doesn't heat my phone perceptibly.
You have to turn the rear climate to cool, or as cool as you can have it. The issue is that the heating ducts for the rear run underneath the wireless charging pad, so if you set the rear to heat, the charging pad will heat up. If you have wireless charging on it'll just make it worse, the phone will get hotter, faster. Closing the compartment will make it worse too.

Just closing the vents in the rear doesn't work either, you need to turn the dials to cool. If it's winter and you need the rear heating on, my solution is to just have the phone in a cup holder if it's plugged in, or anywhere else really.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
The new "purple" NAV update, when you plug in a destination, will revert to an overhead view big enough to show the destination from your current location, when you stop (as at an intersection): I observed it do this twice just a few minutes ago, and I think it reverts to that overhead view within ten seconds or so (I'll have to watch for it next time). Then, as soon as you roll, it returns to the 3D view that you selected (or Auto, if that is your selection).

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
More NAV update weirdness: this qualifies as a "bad" discovery (maybe fixed since I installed a few weeks ago): when navigating to a destination, each time you come to a change of road, i.e. are going to be making a turn or exiting, the stupid distance in hundreds of feet is very inaccurate: to the point, even that as you arrive and enter the turn (or exit) you still see at least 50 feet displayed. The shortest distance I've seen is 40'. I thought the old distance countdown was pretty useless, but at least it counted down to 10' just before you finished closing on the turn (exit point): this update is less granular and worthless as a visual guide to when your turn/exit actually arrives.

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!

Stinger305

Los Angeles
Having hot air coming from the rear vents while using the AC is crazy.
Yeah, I can't believe the design of this feature.

You're telling me, as the driver, I need to reach my arm back and manually adjust the rear air vent to hot/cold? It just seems like something that is always off, and it doesn't help when you have kids in the back seat who can reach the controls with their toes.

Ozstung

5000 Posts Club!
Western Sydney.
More NAV update weirdness: this qualifies as a "bad" discovery (maybe fixed since I installed a few weeks ago): when navigating to a destination, each time you come to a change of road, i.e. are going to be making a turn or exiting, the stupid distance in hundreds of feet is very inaccurate: to the point, even that as you arrive and enter the turn (or exit) you still see at least 50 feet displayed. The shortest distance I've seen is 40'. I thought the old distance countdown was pretty useless, but at least it counted down to 10' just before you finished closing on the turn (exit point): this update is less granular and worthless as a visual guide to when your turn/exit actually arrives.
The navigation system is shite period, it really makes me want to change vehicles. Yeah i hear people say use google maps etc but i shouldn't have to.

How the thing isn't premptive is beyond me. Before this car i used a garmin that really spoilt me. ...steps down from soap box...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
The navigation system is shite period, it really makes me want to change vehicles.
Well, see, if you had not had a NAV in the first place (get a base GT), you would not have anything to complain about? :D The Stinger is my first NAV experience; and this is my first update. It works, I just have to adjust to the quirk of still counting down feet TO the turn, when I have already arrived. :p I'll enter destinations just to see if the amount it is off is at least consistent.

Danum Alba

Newish Member
The navigation system is shite period, it really makes me want to change vehicles. Yeah i hear people say use google maps etc but i shouldn't have to.

How the thing isn't premptive is beyond me. Before this car i used a garmin that really spoilt me. ...steps down from soap box...

I find the the nav to be be a massive improvement over my last one in a Lexus IS, that's really from the last century.

Vince

SomeBlondeGuy

Ontario, Canada
Well, see, if you had not had a NAV in the first place (get a base GT), you would not have anything to complain about? :D The Stinger is my first NAV experience; and this is my first update. It works, I just have to adjust to the quirk of still counting down feet TO the turn, when I have already arrived. :p I'll enter destinations just to see if the amount it is off is at least consistent.
My Stinger is my first navigation experience as well.
I'm content with it.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I've been studying this difference; and it is consistent. My assumption is that the new feet countdown is to the END of the upcoming turn. So, as long as you keep that in mind, you won't get caught flatfooted. :D

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
While vacuuming out my front passenger floor, I found the is. A piece of plastic that says “pull”. Under it is the chassis VIN. Nearly 2 and a half years of ownership and I’m just now seeing this
85B0E049-7796-4E9D-A334-A8C901BCD830.jpeg

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
While vacuuming out my front passenger floor, I found the is. A piece of plastic that says “pull”. Under it is the chassis VIN. Nearly 2 and a half years of ownership and I’m just now seeing this
View attachment 58349
What makes that funny isn't that it took you that long to see it in your car, but that this has been pointed out at least twice before on the forum (maybe even on this thread; I did look, but I'm not going to spend that much time going over the whole thread, hah).