kia stinger store

Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

corradoMR2

GTA
A test drive will only provide you with a limited amount of time with the car. As one then owns the car, discoveries on features, details, and experiences surface.

Post your discoveries that surprised you in this thread, the great or not so great ones.

I will kick it off with the fabric-based wind deflector I was pleasantly surprised to see since not even my current RX has it. Very nice detail! :thumbup: Of course, not to mention the power sunshade, again not in any Lexus/Audi I've owned.

20180121_155653.jpg

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
Adaptive cruise control cannot be switched off to act as old-fashioned cruise control (unfortunately).

Also, if you turn off traction control, adaptive cruise will not activate.

CO-bound

USA
A few I've come across:
If you open the door and take off your seatbelt with it in gear, it automatically shifts to park.

If you're low on gas, a pop-up appears on the nav screen asking if you want to search for gas stations.

The panic horn is hilarious; sounds like something off a kid's toy car.

AnyVare

Adaptive cruise control cannot be switched off to act as old-fashioned cruise control (unfortunately).

Also, if you turn off traction control, adaptive cruise will not activate.

I think this must be a common thing, as my wife's Toyota behaves like that too. Shame too, I'd prefer the choice.

AnyVare

A few I've come across:
If you open the door and take off your seatbelt with it in gear, it automatically shifts to park.

If you're low on gas, a pop-up appears on the nav screen asking if you want to search for gas stations.

The panic horn is hilarious; sounds like something off a kid's toy car.

The Stingers horn is a joke, and deserves to be the first upgrade. I know KIA's cycling parts to save costs, but the Stinger should not sound like toy.

Euljiro1ga

Seoul, South Korea
This may be very trivial to most - the Stinger is my first car with a speed limiter function. The opposite of cruise control - set a limit, no matter how naughty your right foot gets, no speeding tickets! I actually find the limiter more useful than the cruise, lol. I don't have smart cruise control by the way.

I don't know if this is just me, but for example, set the limiter to 100kph and on eco mode. It feels like I get better fuel consumption than using the cruise control. Plus, before I moved to Korea, I got speeding tickets from almost all countries in continental Europe. This is such a heaven-sent.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
A test drive will only provide you with a limited amount of time with the car. As one then owns the car, discoveries on features, details, and experiences surface.

Post your discoveries that surprised you in this thread, the great or not so great ones.

I will kick it off with the fabric-based wind deflector I was pleasantly surprised to see since not even my current RX has it. Very nice detail! :thumbup: Of course, not to mention the power sunshade, again not in any Lexus/Audi I've owned.

View attachment 2396

This feature has been in my Optima for the 2014 and current gen. Can’t remember if the 2012 has it but I think it did. The powered sunshade was also on those cars as well, probably due to it being a panoramic roof.

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
It can...
Push the distance change button long to change from acc to cc and back.

+1 Correct.

View attachment 2398
I wish people would read the manual before throwing into the glove box, never to be seen again! :p

I'll quickly admit to not having read the manual. But I've also held that button with no change. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the heads-up.

corradoMR2

GTA
A nice discovery regarding attention to detail. Take a closeup look at the headlights on the carbon fiber motif, mirrors, individual led blinker lights, and headlamp hooded casing which rotates. Very complex and impressive! :geek:

20180121_160535.jpg

Plainolmoo

Maryland/DC
If you lay your rear seats down, the seatbelts WILL leave marks on the face of the seats. No matter how well you tuck them down. I learned this the hard way recently. I'll use something to pad that area in the future.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

bscheur

If you lay your rear seats down, the seatbelts WILL leave marks on the face of the seats. No matter how well you tuck them down. I learned this the hard way recently. I'll use something to pad that area in the future.

That sounds awful. Have a photo to show what you mean? Will be carrying lots of hockey gear in the back... may need to carry a towel in the car at all times if that is the case.

Falaris

Virginia
Ouch that is good to know! Thanks!

-Fal

voon

Stinger Enthusiast
Reminds me of the mark in leather we had in some other thread ... I'm a bit worried about that surface quality atm.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
That sounds awful. Have a photo to show what you mean? Will be carrying lots of hockey gear in the back... may need to carry a towel in the car at all times if that is the case.
Welcome aboard, @bscheur! Thank you for signing up...

So... Does the indentation in the leather go away after some time? I hope so...

Plainolmoo

Maryland/DC
Welcome aboard, @bscheur! Thank you for signing up...

So... Does the indentation in the leather go away after some time? I hope so...
Not really. If you look at my photo you'll see a few lighter marks that were a bit worse than they are now. That big ugly one remains. This damage occurred 3 days ago.