kia stinger store

Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Mesmorino

-40F is cold enough that who cares about what is running well, if it's running, you're warm - priority 1.

My new car has the audacity to ding every time if falls below 3 degrees Celsius, so I get a ding every day all winter to remind me it's cold, and I can't figure out how to remove the warning. A bit rude if you ask me.

You can turn it off in the driver menu, under convenience I think.

SomeBlondeGuy

Ontario, Canada
In the Settings menu there is an option on how the centre screen will display the change in driving modes. I have set mine to disabled so I can change to Sport mode without the GF noticing. There are 3 options there I believe
My wife knows me all too well. She knows that as soon as the screen displays sport mode that I'm about to become aggressive and tells me to behave.
Usually I do this after somebody cuts me off.

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
My wife knows me all too well. She knows that as soon as the screen displays sport mode that I'm about to become aggressive and tells me to behave.
Usually I do this after somebody cuts me off.
I usually do it as soon as my ass hits the seat.

HoneyBeeStinger

Newish Member
Canada
My old car, a 2002 Mini Cooper S would warn me when it got to 4° c.
Apparently anything below 4° c means that black ice could start forming.
I always assumed it happened below zero...
It happens above zero - usually because a bridge or something similar has air blowing under it (latent heat), causing the road surface to become even cooler, and have moisture from the air form ice on it that can barely be seen, hence the term black ice.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
It happens above zero - usually because a bridge or something similar has air blowing under it (latent heat), causing the road surface to become even cooler, and have moisture from the air form ice on it that can barely be seen, hence the term black ice.
A late friend of mine, before I ever knew him (this is back in the mid 60s), had a brand new AC 289 Cobra: for all of two weeks. When I knew him, all he had of that car was the wood rimmed steering wheel hanging on the wall; and the story of how he hit black ice on a bridge/overpass; bang! into the guardrail, totaled. So sad! Around here the warning signs are common: "bridge ices before road".

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
Yall need to move to warm Florida.
Sure and get swallowed up by a sink-hole. Well hang on a sec at least ya wouldn’t freeze in the sink-hole. OK I’ll speak to the wife.

colnago1331

So here's something that's annoying. The other day I went through my local coffee shop drive thru and got my drink. As I was waiting for it, I realized I had to grab something out of my trunk, so I unbuckled got out, grabbed the thing, and then got back in. I got my drink, and as I am wont to do, I pulled into a spot to transfer most of the drink from the store cup into one of my 1,745 travel mugs. As I was pulling away from the pickup area and moving towards the parking spot, the car started beeping because my seatbelt was not buckled back up. Totally fine . . . I get that. What was annoying was that IT KEPT BEEPING even after I had pulled into the spot, put the car in P, and put on the e brake. It didn't stop until I re-buckled the seatbelt.

Stinger Girl

Ohio
Or even if the windshield is dry; that wears out blades quickly. The main reason why blades need replacing often is because OCD dictates that no water drops be allowed, ergo mostly dry windshield, which drags on the blades.
Here's a new one for me. When you leave the wipers in auto mode they will engage when you start the car via remote start. Not good if the wipers are still frozen to the windshield :/

Ok dang it, it did it again this morning! Only this time they tried to push around 8" of heavy snow :/ They of course jammed themselves. They would not move but they kept trying. Shut the car off and dug them out and they still wouldn't work and neither would service mode. Stop/restart the car and on the 5th start they finally woke up.

I know for FACT this time I left the wipers OFF. This is not normal, right?

DoctorStiches

Unable to post pics for some reason. But 235/40 and 265/35 19's on the factory wheels looks and drives very nice :) just wanted to support larger tires on factory 8 - 8.5 wheels. Only 1 size up front and rear from factory and maybe just new tire feels but its alot more solid feeling....

Ozstung

5000 Posts Club!
Western Sydney.
Yall need to move to warm Florida.
Guess ya all can't live in Oz, this snow stuff and ice sounds scary. Temps below 4c/40f must be an ordeal? Lol.

We do have snow in the mountains down south came to grief in my WRX doing no miles an our on a Mountain pass during a blizzard. The black ice spun me into a guard rail.

In the stinger the snowflake symbols comes on at 4c. We do get down to 0c here in Western Sydney.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Ok dang it, it did it again this morning! Only this time they tried to push around 8" of heavy snow :/ They of course jammed themselves. They would not move but they kept trying. Shut the car off and dug them out and they still wouldn't work and neither would service mode. Stop/restart the car and on the 5th start they finally woke up.

Must be a GT2 thing, with sensing wipers. I've never heard of what you describe, until now, of course. I hope you didn't do permanent damage to the motors, gears or whatnot. :oops:

Luminary

Sustaining Member +
Northern VA

Must be a GT2 thing, with sensing wipers. I've never heard of what you describe, until now, of course.

I have a GT2 with factory Remote Start, and I use it all the time, well I use to anyway before Covid and my wipers have never activated on remote startup. And I do have the wipers in "auto".
So I would think no, this is defiantly not "normal".

bearstinger

Frederick, MD
I usually leave mine in off, have never had them turn on due to snow or even a wet windshield. Right now my stinger is parked until the snow and ice storms go away, in a garage, can't do a test

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
My Stinger cant tell the difference between a backpack with laptop and a human on the front passenger seat, keeps telling me my backpack needs to put on its seatbelt. Always land up chucking the bag on the floor in the footwell
You have a heavy backpack, then. :D