kia stinger store

Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
You would think that with the Harman Kardon surround sound as one of my three "must haves", that, after three years, I'd know how it does things.

But today, I discovered that when you select a folder (this is via USB stick), and play subfolders, if you get to the end of the last track, of the last subfolder, the next track to play is not one of the singles also included in the master folder: it is the next folder after the master folder: all the individual tracks within the master folder are skipped over.

(For example, "Epic" is the master folder, and there are a ton of individual tracks that I took from YouTube - I love epic music - and at the head of the list of individual tracks are currently three subfolders, each with quite a bit of music in them: epic by specific composers, which is why I have them grouped into their own subfolders: today I got to the end of "Prophetic Visions", track fifteen, and lo and behold, the next song up was "Going Under" by Evanescence, the next folder after "Epic".)

I never discovered this before, because I am, or my wife is, always switching out music, and until this morning I had not played straight through all the subfolders; or even, apparently, all the way through the last subfolder. (So much music, not enough time; as good as it gets.)
music.jpg music epic.jpg

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I did not know you can stick a thumb drive with songs in and it works
Well, that rates as a discovery, alright! :D

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
I think any stinger can do this.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
now all I need is a thumb drive already loaded....anybody??

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
It would make sense if it prioritizes files before subfolders. That way everything will play exactly once in order before moving on.
It does! So, what I discovered is only that the media system prioritizes individual tracks ahead of subfolders; this I never discovered because very few of my folders with subfolders in them also have individual tracks. The USB stick, and my 'puter Music folder, prioritize folders above individual tracks, as you can see in my pic in the post above. But when NAV plays through the last track of Enigma, the next track to play is 1 Hour Epic Music Audiomachine Desolation and War, i.e. the first individual track after the three subfolders.
now all I need is a thumb drive already loaded....anybody??
Do you have a music collection on your computer or in a cloud storage? Copy and paste.

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
too what? a thumb drive I buy at staples or something? I don't have tunes saved on the pc...last time I tried was on youtube with an app that would snag the tunes..but I haven't done that in a long long time....deleted the app as well.

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
too what? a thumb drive I buy at staples or something? I don't have tunes saved on the pc...last time I tried was on youtube with an app that would snag the tunes..but I haven't done that in a long long time....deleted the app as well.
Just use a music streaming service.... it's 2021 after all :rofl:

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
on a pc?

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
I'm still in 1980 when it comes to really using computors....

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
I use pandora....plug that in and voila......no need for a thumb drive.

Metalmania82

Stinger Enthusiast
Reading, PA

rpoffen

California
When my stepson was on my wireless data family plan, it would drive me crazy that he would eat up 15G of data in less than a month using a streaming music service. I didn't have unlimited so when it would go over, I would get charged. I had to constantly ask him to stop streaming so much music.
Another problem where I live (Sierra foothills), wireless coverage can be spotty at best.
I have most of my music on my iPhone, and play it via CarPlay, I have a wireless CarPlay adapter, works great.

Luc343

Rhodes, Sydney NSW
I don't get why we cannot just plug a sim into our infotainment system to allow us to access content online? After all, we can plug a sim into our laptops and tablets, why not the car?

Then we would not need to have to deal with the hopeless offline navigation system that is already years behind and cannot find simple addresses if it's life depended on it. Google Maps is brilliant and I would prefer to use it every time. I know there is Android Auto, but that has its problems too.

Come on Kia, add a sim slot to the infotainment system!! It's 2021 after all...