Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by corradoMR2, Jan 21, 2018.

1. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

both 2011

2. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Newer cars, newer laws. A trick around it might be to remove the cap that’s covering the key hole on the drivers door, then use the physical key to lock the door. I seen some people on YouTube do that with earlier push start cars to keep the car running and doors locked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I just accept that the days of leaving a car running with the doors locked (and nobody inside) are gone. Just turn the damn thing off and restart it. What's the big deal?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada 1000 Posts Club!

I use remote start. I was just saying that it isn’t just a problem with just KIA and Hyundai.

5. MerlintheMad

(Moderator note - this is a reply to a post in another thread, discussing damage to the paint along the rear edge of the hood when lifting the wipers)

No mechanism. The wiper well (keeping them out of the high speed wind :D) places the wipers where the rear edge of the hood is in harm's way. If you didn't scrape the wipers against your hood, you're fine: only paint is at risk (as if that isn't enough!).

Snow in the wiper well: here's a trick that works: keep a long bath towel, like a beach towel, in your hatch, and when you anticipate parking out in the snow, roll the towel length-wise and push it down and around your wipers. That way when you come back out and your car is covered in snow, you just take the towel out of the well and voila! your wipers are snow-free. Keep a plastic bin in the back to keep the (now soaked) towel in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rocket23

rocket23 United States 1000 Posts Club!

yup, thats where I leave it til it warms up around here.......kia wants all the ecu's that are being replaced, btw.(2.0 only ?)

7. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Found that the ISG (Idle Stop and Go) behaves differently with Auto Hold on or off. I'm in the minority by not minding ISG (Idle Stop and Go) on the Stinger, in direct contrast to a couple of high-end Mercedes I have driven a fair amount.

With AH enabled, however, I STRONGLY dislike how ISG (Idle Stop and Go) requires throttle input before firing back up.

First time I used AH was yesterday, after 2700miles ownership, so....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

So how would you like it to work with auto hold enabled (where you DON’T have your foot on the brake)?

It isn’t clairvoyant. So of course it will start up only when you apply throttle.

#stingerconfused

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MerlintheMad

Yes. I prefer to drive using auto hold. And the feature and ISG (Idle Stop and Go) do not work well together, to say the least. My use of auto hold is the main reason I do not every ISG (Idle Stop and Go).

10. MerlintheMad

It's not a smooth transition, sort of a sequential thing instead of just GO.

11. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Of course you're right, I guess it was more of a comment as to why I personally don't find ISG (Idle Stop and Go) annoying - I never use Auto Hold. I guess the Merc's I drove have AH by default, hence the delay. I see no point to AH - probably because I grew up on stick shift.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

I like AH for waiting in drive through and at long lights. Lol.

I never had all this fancy stuff in past cars so I guess I’m not annoyed yet (IS&G). Maybe in a year it will tick me off lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MerlintheMad

My fanciest stuff in my last vehicle was automatic hatch release from the dash. But it was broken. I didn't even have automatic windows. My granddaughter asked how to roll down my windows; she had never seen a rolly handle before. :D

It didn't take me longer than a couple of weeks in the Stinger to get thoroughly annoyed at ISG (Idle Stop and Go).

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. rocket23

So your driving down the road, it's quite cold outside, you rest your hand on the window control buttons, and lo an behold a cool breeze flows thru the buttons on to your hand..........HOW?!

15. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

16. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

17. rocket23

No, which is why I posted here.....it's not heated air but cool....so I know it isn't blown in from the heat system.........I'm gonna check the hinges and grommets for the electrics tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rocket23

I'm glad I tried this with the window down ( know there is a keyed entry).
    But I tried to lock the ca while running with the fob in the car and using the soare fob,,,,,,no can do, but you can lock the car with the button on the door but it will not open with the spare fob.........I need a remote start thats all there is to it......

19. Stumpeter

Stumpeter Australia Newish Member

Only had the Stinger a few weeks, unlocked the passenger door, (LHS) , put the fob on the passenger seat and closed the door, it locked itself with the fob inside. Luckily I was home and could get the spare fob and open the door. Weird! I've tried to replicate the problem but it acts normal. Could have been a big problem if I was a long way from home.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia 1000 Posts Club!

That’s concerning.....and very odd. Before getting the spare fob did you try the doors, hatch etc? Did it make any noise when locking, apart from “thunk”.?

Draft saved Draft deleted