Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by corradoMR2, Jan 21, 2018.

1. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Yep. Chassis spray, for salt: it's the only way. Later, a full detail will restore any damage done to the clear coat; wax and ceramic, etc. Afraid there is no other way. Leaving accumulated saline all over the bottom of the car is far more deadly than temporarily marred beauty. So far, I haven't seen a thing that looks like deteriorating or damaged clear coat. It's easier on a Silky Silver than it would be on a Deep Chroma Blue or Aurora Black or Panthera Metal, i.e. dark colors.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Active Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but after nearly 8500km of driving my Stinger, I’ve just realised that the dynamic headlights aren’t dynamic when the high beam is activated. They stop the bendy thing on corners and just fix on one point like regular headlights

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MerlintheMad

Is there a way to turn on all 4 bulbs in the headlight using only dipped-beam lighting mode? :D

4. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

They shouldn't be needed - my high beams light up both sides off (not of) the road much wider than the DBL ever goes.

5. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

6. Luc

Luc Canada Member

Discovered this after a lot of head scratching and going through the manual:
    To turn the heating on for your side-view mirrors (if equipped), you have to turn on the Rear Window Defrost.

At work I park my car in the open but under a structure, so I don't get snow; therefore I use the ice-scraper to take off the ice in the back but my side-view mirrors were always iced up. No more ice-ice baby for me now!:p

• Like Like x 4
  7. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Set it up in the UVO app, and use remote start. Only thing that sucks you can’t turn on the heated and cooled seats.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

Well this is probably only of interest to those of you who have the UVO app, live in really cold climates and have a block heater in your car.

As it was bitterly cold last night (-36F dropping to -42F by morning), I decided it was finally time to break down and actually plug in the block heater in my car. Unfortunately, unlike most of the new cars that have an receptacle for the block heater cord mounted in the front fascia of the car, the Stinger just has the cord with the receptacle coiled up under the hood. Given the temperature last night, I didn't really feel like spending time looking for a way to route the cord through the fascia somewhere, so, I just left the hood ajar and fed it out that way.

I found out this morning, that the UVO remote start won't work if your hood is not fully closed. Nice time to discover that. Car still started fine, I just had to walk out to the car to start it.

9. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Yeah, I found that 3 weeks(should have posted it). I have to move my heater cord to the lower grill.

10. Bharat

Bharat Australia Member

How do you activate this? I have a GT with adaptive cruise.

11. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

It's not available in AUS.

12. Bharat

Bharat Australia Member

Ah damn that’s a shame.

13. 1Sting

1Sting United Kingdom Newish Member

What's the topic of this thread? "Stinger, interesting-discoveries..?" There are some, some where!
    Although weather is interesting too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. 1Sting

The hatch is firbeglass (composit). Found out when I replaced the rear badge.

15. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

The hatch (boot lid over here) is metal, the part the Kia badge sits on is composite. Put a magnet on both and you will feel the difference.

16. 1Sting

The boot lid is fibreglass. The strip at the top of the rear glass (frame part) is indeed steel. The rear spoiler, tail panel, rear apron are all composit (fibreglass). Ditto front apron. Rear wings are steel.
    None-the-less, I used a magnet to confirm, just for you.
    Too much time on my hands!

17. MerlintheMad

I don't know what "rear wings" are?
    The entire frame of the hatch lid is steel. The "facia" below the hatch window (forming the "spoiler") and the entire rear of the hatch lid are non metallic. I wouldn't know what the material is; fiberglass, plastic, composite, whatever.

18. 1Sting

You are right. The frame is steel, as I said. the rest is semantics, UK "tomahtoes", US "tomaytoes". UK wing = US fender. Facia is interior dashboard. The horizontal panel below the Stinger glass, serves as a spoiler is glassfibre. The panel below that, tail section, the rest of the boot lid/hatch is also glass fiber-reinforced plastic, often called composite here in the UK. Intersting!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. MerlintheMad

Excellent response: the single most educational bit of text I've enjoyed all day! :D I didn't know what else to call the outer plastic panels in the back. They are clearly not "body panels" in the steel sense; the steel lies beneath. I won't misuse "facia" again. Thank you. :)

20. MerlintheMad

My discovery today returns to the sound system. I have played a particular CD many, many times on the Stinger's USB sourced music feature. The titles of each track appear at the top of the screen for c. five seconds. Finally, after nearly eleven months, it sunk in: the track names/titles were wrong. I went to my computer Music and looked; sure enough, the original rip had the "Names" wrong; and the corresponding "Titles" were alike wrong. WTH!? I went and grabbed the CD and looked at the track list: it differed markedly from the "Names" on the ripped tracks; and ergo the USB copy I use in the car. So, being quite OC about things like this if I can change them, I laboriously renamed each of the 18 tracks to match the CD track titles/names. By doing so, I only changed the "Names", not the corresponding "Titles", which remain wrong (why, will forever remain a mystery; this is the only time in the history of CDs that I have seen this particular fubar). I took the USB with the new names to my car and used "List" to select the first track and away we go. A bit later I pushed the righthand media knob and watched the currently playing track title/name appear at the top of the screen: it was WRONG!? STILL!? The car's computerized media sorting was taking over all my hard work and ruining it. I pushed the "Media" button and sure enough, the wrong track title/name was showing; I pushed "List" and the showing track playing was my edited renaming. All the tracks above and below in the "List" are my renamed tracks. Cool, I guess. At least if I want to show the correct names of the tracks, I just have to bring up "List" and there they are: the rest of the naming protocol remains the domain of the media machine.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted