kia stinger store

Will/would/have you rebadge(d) your Stinger?

Will/would/have you rebadge(d) your Stinger?

• Yes. I have rebadged my Stinger, or likely will do so in the future

Votes: 340 83.5%
  • No. I have not rebadged my Stinger, nor am I likely to do so in the future

Votes: 67 16.5%

• Total voters

BigCityD

I de-badge every car I've ever owned. I don't let the dealer but their name on the licence plate frame either. I just like the look of a clean car. My wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe. The back had writing if 4 different scripts. Looked terrible. However, If there are holes in the body work, I'll replace the badge with a logo. My 2011 Optima was purchased before they had become popular. I had the K-5 badge on the front and back and wheels. I was asked dozen of times what car it was. My Stinger GT Limited has the E badge on the hood and wheels. I've got the large "Stinger" on the rear deck lid to cover the holes. The steering wheel logo is also a "Stinger" script. Those who have served in the military or policing are also sensitive to the acronym KIA, Killed In Action. I'm not brand snobbish, I just don't like the K.I.A. remembrance.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5034.jpeg
    IMG_5034.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 21

Kris Kougl

Newish Member
I de-badge every car I've ever owned. I don't let the dealer but their name on the licence plate frame either. I just like the look of a clean car. My wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe. The back had writing if 4 different scripts. Looked terrible. However, If there are holes in the body work, I'll replace the badge with a logo. My 2011 Optima was purchased before they had become popular. I had the K-5 badge on the front and back and wheels. I was asked dozen of times what car it was. My Stinger GT Limited has the E badge on the hood and wheels. I've got the large "Stinger" on the rear deck lid to cover the holes. The steering wheel logo is also a "Stinger" script. Those who have served in the military or policing are also sensitive to the acronym KIA, Killed In Action. I'm not brand snobbish, I just don't like the K.I.A. remembrance.
Hey-could you post what your steering wheel logo looks like?

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
I like the steering wheel Stinger logo. Is that an overlay or badge replacement?
They’re all overlays. Never replace that KIA center piece. It’s latched on to the mechanism behind it. If you remove that connection, anything you place on top can launch at you during airbag employment.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL

Kris Kougl

Newish Member
Kris, Here is the photo of the steering wheel badge. I sourced it from this forum. I also added the GT label to the drive select wheel. I thought it added a bit to the red interior of my car.
Cool, appreciate you sharing! Thanks!

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
They’re all overlays. Never replace that KIA center piece. It’s latched on to the mechanism behind it. If you remove that connection, anything you place on top can launch at you during airbag employment.

What mechanism is it latched onto? I removed mine and the only thing it was connected to is the actual steering wheel.

BigCityD

The centre hub in the wheel, houses the airbag. Removing the stock emblem from its place there and replacing it, may turn your airbag into a Claymore mine, launching the newly installed logo into your face at high speed, if in a frontal collision. The overlay will remain attached to the stock emblem and fold away as engineered.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
The centre hub in the wheel, houses the airbag. Removing the stock emblem from its place there and replacing it, may turn your airbag into a Claymore mine, launching the newly installed logo into your face at high speed, if in a frontal collision. The overlay will remain attached to the stock emblem and fold away as engineered.

If the 3M tape on the overlay is strong enough to hold it onto the stock emblem during an airbag deployment it should be strong enough to hold it onto the steering wheel under identical circumstances. There really is no difference between it being glued directly to the steering wheel and it being glued directly to the stock emblem. The forces of an airbag deployment will be identical regardless of what the overlay is taped to.

BUT, people who sell these things have to be lawyer-like when marketing them to eliminate the risk of being liable for someone's medical bills, just in case. That's a much more understandable explanation.

BigCityD

Actually to overlay is convex. It's not flat like the stock badge. The convex shape helps it affix to the stock badge. If it were flat, I would agree with you that it should hold well enough in an airbag deployment.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Actually to overlay is convex. It's not flat like the stock badge. The convex shape helps it affix to the stock badge. If it were flat, I would agree with you that it should hold well enough in an airbag deployment.

The stock badge isn't flat. And the tabs that go around it are connected only around the edges in 6 places (1 top, 1 bottom, 2 on each side, iirc). But even if the stock emblem was flat that would mean the overlay only makes contact around the edges. The area under the stock emblem is slightly raised so the tape on the aftermarket emblem would make contact around the edges and in the center, just as it does on the stock emblem. (I posted a picture here of the stock emblem after removing it but this was back in 2018 so I have no idea where to find it)

This is simple, the overlay doesn't look particularly good covering the stock emblem because a bit of the stock emblem will show no matter how well it's positioned.. The overlay will stick to the steering wheel just as good as it sticks to the stock emblem, or maybe better considering the material types and how the 3M adhesive adheres to it. This is purely about liability. Caveat emptor, and all that, but it really makes no difference.

FWIW, most of the post-install images on the website where these are sold were taken in my car by me. These images show what it looks like with the stock emblem removed, not as an overlay.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
What mechanism is it latched onto? I removed mine and the only thing it was connected to is the actual steering wheel.
It's not just glued or taped on to the front of the steering wheel. The backing of the KIA emblem on the steering wheel has, I don't know what you want to call them - arms - that latch on to whatever is behind it. A piece that won't come flying at you if the airbag is deployed.

razor_ro

i had the front emblem overlay, ordered it by accident thinking it was the complete replacement... anyway, it did not look at all IMO... i ended up ordering the full emblem and had a guy at the body shop put it on, didnt seem too hard to do, as long as you have all the right tools... lots of youtube videos on it also

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
It's not just glued or taped on to the front of the steering wheel. The backing of the KIA emblem on the steering wheel has, I don't know what you want to call them - arms - that latch on to whatever is behind it. A piece that won't come flying at you if the airbag is deployed.

I realize that. I posted a picture of it when i removed mine. What I'm saying is that the overlay is being taped to the KIA emblem just like it would be taped directly to the steering wheel. So if the tape isn't strong enough to hold it onto the steering wheel during an airbag deployment it won't be strong enough to hold it to the KIA emblem either.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
I realize that. I posted a picture of it when i removed mine. What I'm saying is that the overlay is being taped to the KIA emblem just like it would be taped directly to the steering wheel. So if the tape isn't strong enough to hold it onto the steering wheel during an airbag deployment it won't be strong enough to hold it to the KIA emblem either.
Yes, but if installed properly (clean KIA emblem) there's no reason it should fly off. It should stay stuck/connected onto the KIA piece on the steering wheel.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Yes, but if installed properly (clean KIA emblem) there's no reason it should fly off. It should stay stuck/connected onto the KIA piece on the steering wheel.

I feel like I'm not doing a good job explaining myself.

Not to go round and round about this, but you're saying the overlay will stay stuck to the KIA emblem if installed properly. So why wouldn't it stay stuck directly to the steering wheel if installed properly?

Lol, I'm just not seeing the difference in the two methods. Whether it's taped to the emblem or steering wheel it's still attached using the same 3M tape. It will still get rocked by the same forces from the airbag. There is literally NO difference between PROPERLY applying it to the KIA emblem and PROPERLY applying it to the steering wheel. If the airbag is strong enough to make the tape fail and knock it off the steering wheel then why isn't it strong enough to make the tape fail and knock it off the KIA emblem? Either the tape is strong enough or it isn't.

However, it does look a lot better when installed directly to the wheel compared to attaching it to the KIA emblem.

I wish I could find my old post. I think you cheered me on when I removed my stock emblem and applied the overlay directly to the steering wheel lmao. I think a lawyer got to you. :laugh: