Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger Navigation Map Update

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Chapindad, Mar 15, 2018.

1. G-893819

G-893819 Guest

Can you clarify why the modem is relevant to a USB update?

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad United States Member

I did realize that, yes, but this is a USB installation. Can you clarify the relevance of the modem in Canadian Stingers?

3. Nick Buglino

Nick Buglino United States Newish Member

Awesome and thank you!!

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

The modem brings with it a whole host of different data services and apps, like voice-activated Google search for the nav instead of the incompetent voice control built into the nav itself. The software is different for each country and incompatible, so presumably if you put your VIN in, it will simply tell you that there is nothing available for your car.

Or at least it would if the link to the update site worked at all, which it does not. I believe it is an outdated update system that is no longer used now that Canadians also get free map upgrades on top of the modem/telematics.

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad United States Member

That makes sense. I was thinking if we could at least get our hands on that code, it might be a starting point for the US firmware. Best as I can see the US market is virtually on lock down. Maybe eventually dealers will be given a USB update for GT owners without SD card slots who run into major problems or clamor loud enough for a feature that other owners got along with their map updates. Hopefully a workaround will come around.

6. Marc Collins

You can read my comments on here about this outrageous situation going back a loooooooong time. I have no idea how any car company in 2018 could release any vehicle, let alone a supposed "premium" one, that cannot have it's computer system updated independently (of paid maps or any other stupid scheme). Updates are a given these days. We all have USB ports. Enough said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hyperjetta

Hyperjetta United States Active Member

I'm not sure if this is directly applicable to our cars, but I found this manual while digging around on the web. It basically outlines the update process from USB for non-US vehicles. If you read through it you see that the steps for updating from USB and SD are basically interchangeable. There are also release notes for these particular updates.

Anyone with a current map update willing to upload an image of the SD card? In the name of science?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. stargtsi

stargtsi United States Member

I'm pretty sure its all VIN locked to each car so sharing the data might not be possible

9. eflyguy

eflyguy 2500 Posts Club!

Update on my earlier question, the web site now says v14 will be released in late March. At least I now know what to look for..

10. Marc Collins

Depending on what version you already have, it's worth waiting to see what is actually updated and working properly. Even for us in Canada with free updates the ridiculously tedious process to download and install is not an automatic good idea because half the time they break previously working features, or introduce "half features." By that I mean things that are good ideas, but implemented poorly or minimally compared to other vehicles (the Bluetooth texting support is my favourite example). The maps are woefully out of date even with the latest version, so not sure how much value that part has for anyone.

On our other car, a Subaru, just park beside the house and attach to the wi-fi and all updates happen automatically with the push of a button on the car's display screen. Of course many (most?) other manufacturers do the same (or have a simple one-step USB stick procedure), so the Stinger is the anomaly :(

11. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

Map updates are the only thing I am interested in. So, version 12.5 is still "fine", i.e. not worth bothering, if the maps are still "woefully" out of date with the latest version.

Here's an example of how inconsistent this can be. NAV did not show a median "planter box", and told me to hang a left through the existing planter box (I went down to the corner, thank you); yet Google satellite view clearly showed the planter box. Just last week, I got "ambushed" by St. George's new crossover interchange (hate those danged things, steering you to the opposite side of the road!), even though, after the fact, I noticed that NAV showed it clearly. When I got home and looked it up on Google Maps, the satellite view shows the old (perfectly sensible) interchange, but the map view is updated to show the interchange. So, I reckon we will always be complaining about sections of road that are inadequately updated (clearly, Salt Lake County gets updated often on Google, whereas a rural area like around St. George doesn't get its satellite view updated even as often as NAV in our cars)

12. Marc Collins

True, except 9 out of 10 times Google is up to date, but HERE (KIA's choice of system) is not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. usafonz

usafonz United States Newish Member

Hi, new here. I just got my 2019 gt1 stinger today used (not from a kia dealership) and there was no navigation or sd card. Is there anything i can do to possibly get a free setup? That 145 bucks is kind of rough...

• Like Like x 1
  14. eflyguy

eflyguy 2500 Posts Club!

The dealer needs to source it for you.

There is no "free" setup. It is tied to your VIN.

15. moinmoin

moinmoin 1000 Posts Club!

It would appear, the "Coffee-Cup Pause" panel seems to have disappeared?! At least that's my experience or did I do something wrong ;)

16. MerlintheMad

Your car has deemed you to be a grownup; it has "learned' your driving habits and removed that nanny. :laugh:

17. MerlintheMad

You could try directly communicating with Kia Corp; and get info on your VIN. I think I'd try that before going to a dealer. Kia may ask you to work through a dealer anyway. But I think I'd want to find that out from them. Your car should have an SD card. Why it is missing is the first place is a weird question to have to ask.

18. eflyguy

eflyguy 2500 Posts Club!

Just realized - I was assuming you already looked in the Multimedia System manual to make sure it wasn't still in the case it's supplied in?

19. usafonz

Ah okay.
    Thanks, i will look into that when i get a chance. I'm not sure why it wasnt there, the prior owner was a lease but i dont see why they would take out the navi disk.
    I will check and update.

Thanks guys. Glad to be here and learn some things. Excited stinger owner.

• Like Like x 1
  20. usafonz

So i looked in the manual and there was nothing. No case. But the last page was stuck to the back page in a little square area so i imagine it was supposed to be there.
    I'll give kia a call tomorrow to figure out whats going on.

Thanks again!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted