kia stinger store

Kia Stinger Navigation Map Update

Chapindad

2018 Kia Stinger Map Update-122S5A

I thought I would just post this link for the Map and Software updates. The cost is a little high for a twice a year update. I need to check to see if it is covered the dealer in the extended Kia Warranty. I also do not understand why I can not just download it and install it on the SD card myself. I am happy that they did make it fairly easy to do.

DaJackson

1000 Posts Club!
Louisiana
This part is more interesting than 11k more miles of roads.

Plus Software Upgrade Including Android Auto/Apple CarPlay

Along with the new map and points of interest, the map update includes refinement of the system including routing, functionality, and overall ease-of-use. The update also includes the latest Android Auto and Apple CarPlay software.

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
wish they would let you use your own SD card. The AA software update alone is worth it.

mldavis2

1000 Posts Club!
Neosho, MO
There is some question about frequency of updates for the Stinger. Some Kia models are once a year, others twice a year. Not sure if I'll go that route or not. Waze and Google maps are free and constantly updated although they won't show the little speed limit sign on the HUD if you have the GT2. Then you have both the UVO subscription and the SiriusXM subscription. There are warnings about trying to use your own data on the SD card but is that to keep from screwing up the system, or just to maintain financial control?

And how up to date is the map software? Surely Kia buys map software from some other vendor and doesn't try to do that by themselves. There is a section of highway where I live on which the speed limit was changed a year ago and it's not updated in my Kia map software.

NYLAWBIZ

Stinger Enthusiast
This new software version came out last Monday and I picked up my new car on Saturday. I called KIA premium customer service to ask if I can get the upgrade gratis. They said they will look into it and get back to me today or Monday. I'll let everyone know how I made out.

Chapindad

Let me know also since I picked my p on Friday. I have not check the software version yet but I will be later on today. This would really annoy me.

NYLAWBIZ

Stinger Enthusiast
I just spoke to KIA. This is the deal. As a policy they charge for all software upgrades. But because of the proximity of time between the purchase and upgrade, they are making an exception for me. I suggest anyone who bought recently should try to push the envelope on this and get their new SD card. I called the "Premium Team": 855-542-7733.

On a sadder note, you will not be able to use all functionality of the UVO app because the car does not have a modem (unlike most of the top line KIA's, according to the rep). Maybe in future model years. So no remote start through UVO.

netmag

On a sadder note, you will not be able to use all functionality of the UVO app because the car does not have a modem (unlike most of the top line KIA's, according to the rep). Maybe in future model years. So no remote start through UVO.
Once again our neighbors in Canada show Kia's hand. Since they've had remote start through UVO from day one, it's painfully obvious that Kia could easily make that feature available here if they wanted to. They just don't want to. They can claim that the hardware is missing a component that makes it possible, but even with that logic it would still be obvious that including such a component is a trivial matter (since they had no problems with doing it for Canada at launch). They apparently just don't want to elevate the Stinger to the same level of a K900 (which has this feature) in the US.

Berzerker

...wait.

I was under the impression that, while you needed to use the SDCard they provided, you'd be able to do the updates yourself by downloading the software and replacing what's currently on the SDCard with the new software. So, we have to buy a *$189* new SDCard just to get our software updates? Like, I appreciate the fact they do it, but this is maintenance on our car, not a new feature that we should be paying for.

/rant

DaJackson

1000 Posts Club!
Louisiana
...wait.

I was under the impression that, while you needed to use the SDCard they provided, you'd be able to do the updates yourself by downloading the software and replacing what's currently on the SDCard with the new software. So, we have to buy a *$189* new SDCard just to get our software updates? Like, I appreciate the fact they do it, but this is maintenance on our car, not a new feature that we should be paying for.

/rant
You are paying $40 for the new SD card and $149 for the data.

It looks like on some cars you can download it yourself but that option isn’t available now.

mldavis2

1000 Posts Club!
Neosho, MO
Well, it's nice to have the little speed limit sign in the HUD, but I use Waze on the open road (or Google maps which my wife likes) because Waze is real-time traffic information like the old CB radio days. I'm not sure which maps Kia uses but they can't be much better than Google or Garmin.

Timmle

Newish Member
Vancouver
You are paying $40 for the new SD card and $149 for the data.

It looks like on some cars you can download it yourself but that option isn’t available now.
I spoke with the mapping company this morning and they said the downloadable option should be available next week. They just haven't uploaded the files to the website yet. Once available, he suggested using the current SD card but backing up the data on it first. Also FWIW, if you just want the Apple Carplay or Android Auto updates, those will be available for free from Kia's website. I'm waiting for an update from my dealership on when the latest upgrade will be posted.

DaJackson

1000 Posts Club!
Louisiana
I spoke with the mapping company this morning and they said the downloadable option should be available next week. They just haven't uploaded the files to the website yet. Once available, he suggested using the current SD card but backing up the data on it first. Also FWIW, if you just want the Apple Carplay or Android Auto updates, those will be available for free from Kia's website. I'm waiting for an update from my dealership on when the latest upgrade will be posted.
Download only option = good news

Free CarPlay update = even better news

mldavis2

1000 Posts Club!
Neosho, MO
Anyone have any idea what an update to CarPlay would do to enhance anything?

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
Yes, are we talking about updates to CarPlay and Android Auto themselves or does this have something to do with navigation?

Timmle

Newish Member
Vancouver
Yes, are we talking about updates to CarPlay and Android Auto themselves or does this have something to do with navigation?
Just updates for CarPlay & Android Auto, nothing to do with navigation. I'm using AA and have come across a bug where audio for a phone call sometimes won't play through the infotainment system. This is apparently fixed in this latest update

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
Thanks. I didn't know Kia maintained a web presence for updates. This isn't some kind of update that comes through the wireless in the car then? We have to download it to some kind of media and go through an update process?

Timmle

Newish Member
Vancouver
Thanks. I didn't know Kia maintained a web presence for updates. This isn't some kind of update that comes through the wireless in the car then? We have to download it to some kind of media and go through an update process?
Correct. For the standalone Carplay & AA updates you have to download onto an SD card or USB drive.

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
Thanks for the heads up!