Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Intake Comparison

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Karl Davlin, Oct 1, 2018.

1. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

SSR is the only intake system that completely draws air from outside the engine bay. However the K&N, AEM, AP and some DIY intakes use heat shielding and the hood to mostly seal off the filters. It may not be 100% sealed but very close and since air follows the path of least resistance they all will draw air from the OEM air inlets over the engine bay.:thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. StungBlueGT2

@Rysiek112 Sorry but your rating is incorrect. My statement is not optimistic, it’s just stating facts.;):D

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Manaz

Manaz United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

The Jonny Tig intake comes as a sealed unit and pulls air from the front grill area.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Toddasaurus

Toddasaurus United States Member

The problem with fully sealed units is that the stock inlet is a restriction in flow. Mostly sealed intakes like AEM and the likes not only draw air from the stock inlets, but also gaps around the headlamps and the hood seams.

Don't get me wrong though, as the Johnny Tig setup is certainly a significant upgrade from stock. Also, while bringing in the coldest air possible is ideal, there is an argument to be made that the intercooler will have a bigger impact on IAT's than the intake itself.

5. Manaz

Manaz United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

JT recommends larger intakes too. :)

Certainly an intercooler upgrade which impacts efficiency will help get combustion temps down, but they can only get as close as possible to intake temps, they can really never get cooler.

They're both important. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. StungBlueGT2

My understanding is that the JT intakes are completely open on the backside of the intake boxes.

If I remember correctly they designed it that way to prevent pressure buildup compared to a sealed unit, and to allow more airflow out the back while at higher speeds. I don’t doubt it will have benefits at high speeds and believe it’s one of the best intakes available. I just know that heatsoak would be a major problem when stopped because it will draw alot of hot engine air since the opening is near the turbos & exhaust manifold.

The main benefit of heat shielding is to create a barrier between the turbos/engine and the filters to prevent hot air from being drawn into the intakes. Unfortunately their design prioritizes better flow at high speeds compared to blocking hot engine air which is counterproductive for good launches from a stop. This will definitely hurt performance when sitting in line at a track, or idling at a stoplight. So I and many others prefer better isolation from engine bay heat and feel a 10-20 degree difference in IAT from good heat shielding is a better way to go. But to each their own and still think JT is one of the best intakes available if money isn’t a factor.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Also the JT comes with replacement ducts (included with the kit), which do away with the factory snorkles, and grabs directly from the front grille.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry@BMS

Terry@BMS United States 1000 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. CoconutRob

CoconutRob United States Stinger Enthusiast

Does anyone have any IAT logs for the Injen? Also has anyone compared filter surface areas of AEM to K&N panels?

10. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue United Kingdom Member

As far as the Velossa Tech snorkels go, do you guys know which color blue most closely matches ours? I can't tell if I should order mine with flares in standard Blue, "Performance Blue," or "Nitrous Blue." Or heck, in some other color that would complement the car's color.

11. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

You should ask the vendor. They are on the forum and there is a dedicated thread they started for the VT snorkels.

Edit: Here is the thread. Post #80 answers your question!

Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH Picture Thread!!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue United Kingdom Member

Thank you for the helpful link!

13. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Active Member

Ya go black. Sleeper mode.

• Like Like x 1
  14. treston_cal

treston_cal United States Newish Member

They have a glow in the dark one. Come alive at night.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: