Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Intake Comparison

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Karl Davlin, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Karl Davlin

Karl Davlin United States Member STL Stinger Club

Here is the information that I have gleaned from the forum. Any additional information would be great.

I'm not sure how to really add air temperature. Are there enough people that actually know?

Edit: I added Jonny Tig.

upload_2018-10-1_14-46-59.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I have the k&n panel filters. I think there a good option for anymore not wanting to hear the turbo and blow off valve sounds the others make. Not sure about what kind of power you get though but with k&n filters jun downpipes and jb4 my stinger feels very strong.

• Like Like x 2
  3. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of 1000 Posts Club!

What is the K&N drop-in intake?

4. SilverNitr8

SilverNitr8 United States Active Member

I think he meant drop-in air filter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karl Davlin

Updated to include the word "filter".

• Like Like x 1
  6. SilverNitr8

Should the Johnny tig be added to this list? Injen looks like the best fitment with the most hp/torque gain, but I dont see it coming with a heat shield, so I question performance with the heat soak after driving the car for a while.

7. Karl Davlin

Do you have a link for Johnny Tig? I saw a picture, but I didn't see any information on it.

8. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Stillen's fit should say HORRIBLE. And it doesn't look the best, Jonny Tig does.

I think looks should be left out as they are very subjective.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jwolf

Jwolf United States Active Member

This is an awesome thread, headed in the right direction. The one thing to me that is most important though, and happens to be missing, is actual performance and logging data. I want to know intake temps on all of these under different scenarios. Versus ambient and after some heat cycles, etc..

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

I think it should be included, it is another intake option for the Stinger and very good one IMHO.

11. SilverNitr8

robz32, did you have the JT intake? I couldn't figure out from the site how much the intake cost. I think the 750 was AUD not dollars. I really like thier intake cover. If the fitment is perfect, I think that is what I would go with pending performance gains.

12. Kamauxx

It's $950 AUD.

The cost depends on the exchange rate for the day you order it.

Today that translates to $686 USD. I ordered one in July and it was $708 USD.

13. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

JT fitment is good although it is a tight fit. Also I would argue JT is the only cold air of the bunch unless you also modify the snorkle in another setup.
    An aftermarket snorkle is out now or one comes with JT. The stock setup air needs to be pulled in.

14. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Yes I have JT intake. The price you see on JT's site is in AUD. Give Jon a call and he will be able to give you the GB price (saw your post on the GB thread).

15. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Great source of information and thanks for taking the time to help everyone & share.:thumbup:

I have a version of “DIY” intakes with added thermal shielding.
    3.3TT - DIY intakes w/Heat shielding drop about 0.2sec off 0-60

Here’s my input for your chart, and also a suggestion for another column that may be helpful.

Claimed HP/TQ= 15-20 or about the same as top 3. Same layout & similar shielding as STILLEN with higher flow filters(open top & more surface area). Also dropped the same 0.1-0.2sec off acceleration times as Tork’s & Terry’s intakes.

Fit= Great. Easy 30min install and everything fits perfectly. No bending or cutting of hoses needed.

Cold Air= Little. Filters are within 1” of OEM air inlet for drawing cool air and heat shielding wraps behind filters which traps cool air, but blocks most heat from turbos/engine. Air surrounding filters is drastically cooler than hot air on other side of heat shielding. I believe and will confirm that IAT are similar to the sealed OEM intake box.

Potential new column. “Heat isolation” or “Shield effectiveness” at Idle/Speed.
    Each intake has shielding in different places. Some will be better at preventing hot air from entering the intake at idle, and/or under acceleration. Example-JT has shielding on top and sides but it’s open at the back. This should help provide the lowest IAT at speed, but possibly one of the highest at idle due to heat from turbos. My shielding wraps around, behind & below the intake which makes a soft barrier between the turbos & filters. I feel this will be more effective at idle/stoplights and similar to STILLEN.
    My ratings based on threads in this forum. Typhoon=Good/Good,
    Drop-In=Great/Great, STILLEN=Great/Good,
    JT=Ok/Great,
    DIY wShield=Good/Good, Injen/Tork=None/None.

Final thoughts for DIY= Doesn’t look great but shielding makes a big difference. Very similar gains as top semi-CAIs at a fraction of the price. Better throttle response, quicker spooling and stronger mid/top end. Amazing turbo sounds and cheap performance boost is worth 30mins and some elbow grease.:D

Cost= $60 filters only. About $110 wShielding & brackets.

I know it was a long post but hope it helps and happy tuning!:thumbup:

16. Karl Davlin

I updated the chart. Any thoughts?

upload_2018-10-5_6-41-39.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Kamauxx

K&N drop-ins won't provide air that's any cooler than the factory set up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

Injen lines the filters up with the inlets in the front bumper... i wonder if those snorkels would make any difference there.

19. SSR Performance

SSR Performance United States Member Authorized Vendor

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: