Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Intake Comparison

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Karl Davlin, Oct 1, 2018.

1. STINGER

STINGER Bahrain Stinger Enthusiast

K&N has a custom program, it is more pricey but you can custom make a filter with an open top which is what I did for my AEM intake.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of 1000 Posts Club!

How much did it cost you? Can I see your custom filter?

3. STINGER

Costed roughly $240 for both. (Edit, correction $225 and shipping within the US for both)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. xot1

Thanks I will definitely look into that!
    How did you find out the maximum size for the filter?

5. STINGER

Correction, just checked, costed $225 with shipping within the US for both.

I measured the available gaps with the AEM filter in place and you can then know the total space available that you can work with. With the AEM intake there is very limited space, especially the length of the filter. So I had to be very careful and took a risk but it fitted at the end, barely :eek:

K&N will not make a customer filter from the ground up, what they will do is modify one of the universal filters they have, by shortening/lengthening and/or changing the top design if possible. They have so many universal filters, the odds of finding one and slightly modifying it to make it work for your needs is very high.

So what I did in my case is,
    Use Part# RC-5173 as the base,
    1. Change height from 6 to 4.5".
    2. Change top from 5.875" to 6" rubber X-Stream top used in RX-4130-1.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. xot1

Thank you this is very helpful !!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Not sure it's been mentioned: $50 rebate from K&N until the end of the month on the Typhoon.. Does that change the value proposition for anyone?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Toddasaurus

Toddasaurus United States Member

FYI - you can get aFe filters that have just about the exact same dimensions as those custom K&N's, and end up being cheaper. Has even more surface area because it has an inverted too, instead of the x-stream cap.

Pic.

afe-21-91054.jpg

About 70-75 a piece, you can find them on summit racing. Search for P/N "afe 21-91054"

I'm planning on using the AEM intake and adding these filters.

Thank you for posting your fitment info! I've been thinking about it for a little while now, but evidently you've been considering it for longer than me!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SamB

SamB Canada Newish Member

Currently looking for intakes. I hate how Injen did theirs. It grabs all the heat of the motor, sure sounds nice but very inefficient. I saw that the K&N ones where a bit more protected but still with an open top. Which one would be the best performance wise for our vehicules right now ? (Completely sealed box with bigger intakes)/

10. Manaz

Manaz Australia 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I am likely to pull the trigger on the Jonny Tig intakes...

11. xot1

I would.. If I could.
    How much delay are we looking at?

12. Rynil2000

Rynil2000 United States Active Member

I’m in the same boat Sam. I think if you want “completely sealed” look more towards the AE (which have install complaints) or just some K&N drop-ins with Velossa Tech Big Mouth snorkels. I haven’t seen any CAI that are totally sealed off.

I’m considering going with the AEM setup. Basically the same as K&N, but plastic tubes (less heat soak) and dry filters (instead of oiled).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Manaz

I spoke with JT yesterday, he said about 3 weeks delay at this point from time of order to shipping.

14. xot1

Heat shields are mostly a marketing gimmick to increase the price of intake kits.
    Some fancy designed plastic or metal shields will never make your setup into a cold air intake.
    If you want lower intake temps, go WMI.

15. Manaz

To a degree, I disagree.

If you can reduce radiant heat from the engine getting to the intakes, or reduce how much hot air from around the engine gets to the intakes, then this can help. Yes, it won't be as much benefit as you get from a proper enclosed CAI (particularly one that improves flow from the grill into the intakes).

Sure, WMI does better, but then it's a much more expensive and involved than air intake upgrades, and involves more active management on an ongoing basis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SamB

Honestly, this is probably what I'll end up doing. The Velossa's are a nice aesthetic feature and it is actually making a difference. Drop in filters are alot cheaper too. I'll wait for a real cold air intake to be made at some point I guess...

17. Toddasaurus

You don't consider the SSR's a true cold air intake?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rynil2000

Rynil2000 United States Active Member

I can't speak for @SamB, but for one of the most expensive CAIs, I've never seen pictures of it installed without the filters hanging from zip ties. :cautious: Probably the most "cold" of the intakes though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. SamB

Yes they are. But so inconvenient. I do alot of dirt roads and I already know that alot of rocks, debris, dust, you name it, will get caught in there... I also live up north where the temperature drops to -30F so if there’s just a little water on the intakes it’ll freeze up everything. I’d rather have my intakes boxed up in the actual hood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Toddasaurus

Agreed on all fronts. Also, cleaning the filters requires removing the whole bumper....pretty annoying.

Personally, I'm going for the AEM intake with bigger filters, and Velossa Tech snorkels. I don't mind the open top, as it just seals (mostly) with the hood.

Hopefully someday down the road someone will make something better.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: