• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Contemplating Trading in the Stinger for an EV

Kamauxx

5000 Posts Club!
yea, from what i read, the test mule isn't what it is going to look like since it's "undercover" and they just used the standard body/cladding.

Personally the rear of the ev6 does it for me, i love it, i don't much care for the front of the ev6 .. I love the ioniq5 as a whole exterior package though.. but prefer the interior of the ev6... All that said... Probably won't be looking at those, Waiting/wanting something like that genesis x concept ev (maybe a 4 door liftback like the stinger but styled like the x)... now that's the jam... :D Genesis X Concept Vehicle

That's a bad mammajamma! I wonder how Genesis is going to ruin a potential production version. Looks like an e-tron GT alternative.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
I think that's a Henry Ford/Elon Musk thing that is trickling over to other vehicles. Tesla charges $2500 just for a regular ole red paint job. I guess keeping the colors to a minimum helps them build more units faster. Looking on Autotrader, there are about 25 Ioniq 5s within 50 miles of me, and almost all of them are silver or black.
Hyundai/KIA has been known to not offer a lot of colors on their higher end trims, which is not the same for the lower trims. Tesla charges way too much for their colors, especially for not being anything special.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
Currently at the dealership for inspection. There is a black EV6 outside. That’s the first one I’ve ever seen in person and I have to say, it actually looks really good. Not as good as the stinger of course, and I’m not a fan of electric cars, but it really has a striking appearance
Take some photos and post please! If it is the GT Line AWD, take it for a test drive and give us your thoughts,

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
When the Stinger was launched, people speculated that they may have been testing or planned to put out an electric version, due to the size of the space for the fuel filler. I think they could evolve on the Stinger's design to make it in to an electric GT, like the e-Tron GT. Imagine if they could shorten the front by a couple of inches since they don't need all that space for an electric motor, use those 2-3 inches for the internal seating area and space for the battery pack and give it an updated look. With Biermann tuning this thing to drive and handle like a sporty GT and keep the price within reason, they would have a great car on their hands and those of us Stinger lovers that want an electric version would be happy to have that.

BMW took their updated 4 series Gran Coupe and made an electric version of it, the i4, which has a regular and a M Sport version (i4 M50), which is quick, 3.7 to 60! That's pretty good for using an ICE platform. Genesis took the current G80, removed the engine, added motors and a battery pack to make the eG80. I wouldn't want them to use the existing Stinger platform to do this, they would need to make a new one based off the E-GMP pack. I suspect though, that Genesis would probably be the brand that would come out with this sort of vehicle first. Or, KIA could as a replacement Stinger with great performance and then Genesis would be able to bring the Concept X to market with a more luxurious interior and better performance and then price theirs higher, but still lower than the Audi.

These days, I find myself liking the ride height of my e-tron and I can understand why manufacturers are pushing the CUV body style. While most SUVs were higher off the ground, a lot of people that buy them aren't actually taking them off road but, they want to sit a bit higher than in sedans. The IONIQ 5 and EV6 are doing a great job of looking like a sedan/hatch but being a little higher to allow for ease of ingress but you don't feel that much difference when driving them. I can't wait to see what else they have in their electric portfolio.

Devin

Sustaining Member
Seattle-ish
I think that's a Henry Ford/Elon Musk thing that is trickling over to other vehicles. Tesla charges $2500 just for a regular ole red paint job. I guess keeping the colors to a minimum helps them build more units faster. Looking on Autotrader, there are about 25 Ioniq 5s within 50 miles of me, and almost all of them are silver or black.
So that's why all I see are white Model 3s...

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
So that's why all I see are white Model 3s...
If I remember correctly, the white and gray versions don't require an additional cost. The others are from $1k (blue, black is $1,5K) to $2k for the red. They should have 3 more colors for 8 at a minimum. Plus they need some other interior color options as well. For what they are charging and the cars they compare themselves to, they should give us some other colors.

BrocStar

Test drove the EV6 GT-Line yesterday and it didnt feel as quick as the Stinger. I wasnt able to get a light to try from a stop but from highway speed 30-50, 50-70 the Stinger felt much quicker. I test drove a Model 3 dual motor at the time I bought my Stinger. The EV6 felt nowhere near as responsive and quick as the Tesla. I’ll wait for the Gt version. Dealer says my deposit EV Limited Edition comes in next week and I have 1 week to decide before it goes up for sale. They were marking the GTLine up 10k. It drove nice, frunk was almost unusable, interior nice but wasn’t blown away, from just a vehicle standpoint not enough for me to get rid of my Stinger as it still one of the best looking cars on the road, IMO.
Btw the Kia dealer was packed, hard to believe people are willing to pay these market adjustments, just crazy.
I ended up getting my Stinger 2023 GT2 for MRSP. Can't believe it since it was listed for 64k. But I think being in finance and understanding the market and adjustments helped a bunch. People just need to understand they have the upper hand and be reasonable with their expectations. Dealers have to make money but at the same time not rip the consumers off.

BrocStar

Eventually the green team will force me into a hybrid or EV and that's ok.

I enjoy the Stinger but I've hardly used it(12000 kms in almost 2 years). My wife drives more than I but can't handle the Stinger. I detest having 2 cars when all we need is one. I've seriously thought about selling my beauty. Prices for used cars have sky rocketed.
We were lucky to find a new hyundai venue locally as there is squat available in other brands. It's a fine econobox. Happy wife happy life.
Dont lose faith one combustion cars. They grids in the US can barley sustain themselves as it is and just think if everyone is charging cars at night. Not gonna work. Keep the stinger just in case.

BrocStar

Yep, they do. As you know, the Korean cars are out over there for about a year before we get them. It is on the E-GMP platform, same as IONIQ 5 and EV6 and it is the smallest of the 3 however, the sportiest.

Not intersted in a vehicle that can't be charged when our electrical grid goes under.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
We talk about being innovative and compare EVs to the first cars in the horse and buggy age, no roads, no filling stations, NO infrastructure whatsoever: and our ancestors built it all in less than a generation, then added on. The trouble with EVs is the origins of all the necessary parts and aspects: the biggest negative is the production of the batteries: nasty mining, short lifespans needing replacement on cars too old to be worth the cost of replacement (that could change, of course, but currently it's a thing), disposal is unanswered: and worst of all is the grid, not only limited but only expandable with fossil fuels: what a joke, when EVs are supposed to eliminate CO2 accumulation. EVs are not the answer. If we are to solve the evils of the ICE, it will be through producing alternate fuels to fossil fuels. Creating hydrogen will require more electricity too, but innovation can solve that easier than making more grid to charge batteries. Existing cars are convertible to run with hydrogen. There will be a prototype running in the 2024 Le Mans 24 Hours. People are working on this.

BrocStar

And please don’t tell me it’s because it’s better for the environment. Batteries and lithium mining will be the next deforestation of the near future. EV batteries only last 10 yrs if that long. So more waste, more mining etc etc etc. A combustion vehicle can last decades with proper care. I just do t see it being sustainable.

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
I mean we can declare any personal transportation as a danger to environment and tax it out of existence. Problem solved.

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
Personally i don't see the range as a problem. I just don't see where are we gonna get approximately 30% more energy to charge all those cars. Our electric grid is on the verge already.

0zman99

And please don’t tell me it’s because it’s better for the environment. Batteries and lithium mining will be the next deforestation of the near future. EV batteries only last 10 yrs if that long. So more waste, more mining etc etc etc. A combustion vehicle can last decades with proper care. I just do t see it being sustainable.
LOL I own a Stinger so that would be a no. I am aware of the downsides of EVs. I am team EV because of instant torque, fewer moving parts, brakes lasting forever thanks to Regen braking, and fuel costs $5 (in my location). For the same amount of range it would cost $75 in the Stinger. I also like the convenience of Charging at home and the very low maintenance costs.

I don't have a problem with Hydrogen either but prefer EVs for my lifestyle. Hydrogen in my location has 1 fuel station in the entire city, versus 328+ EV chargers. 90% of the time I would charge at home so not an issue. So again if you think EV infrastructure is bad, take a look at Hydrogen. There's a reason why people haven't coverted their cars to hydrogen (FYI there is also EV conversion kits too, albeit more expensive).

What I don't agree with is governments banning one type of car over another. If someone wants to keep buying ICE let them. It's better to convince folks otherways than strong arming them.

Devin

Sustaining Member
Seattle-ish
Personally i don't see the range as a problem. I just don't see where are we gonna get approximately 30% more energy to charge all those cars. Our electric grid is on the verge already.
Just need more nukes. And some innovation in that space.

Which will be 40 years from now.

BrocStar

LOL I own a Stinger so that would be a no. I am aware of the downsides of EVs. I am team EV because of instant torque, fewer moving parts, brakes lasting forever thanks to Regen braking, and fuel costs $5 (in my location). For the same amount of range it would cost $75 in the Stinger. I also like the convenience of Charging at home and the very low maintenance costs.

I don't have a problem with Hydrogen either but prefer EVs for my lifestyle. Hydrogen in my location has 1 fuel station in the entire city, versus 328+ EV chargers. 90% of the time I would charge at home so not an issue. So again if you think EV infrastructure is bad, take a look at Hydrogen. There's a reason why people haven't coverted their cars to hydrogen (FYI there is also EV conversion kits too, albeit more expensive).

What I don't agree with is governments banning one type of car over another. If someone wants to keep buying ICE let them. It's better to convince folks otherways than strong arming them.
I totally agree with you about many of your points. I found it interesting in 2009 when visiting Ecuador that many of the cars ran on gasoline but also had a backup of natural gas. I thought, wow, that is genius. Natural gas is super clean, runs efficient and there is a shit ton of it,. What I dont understand is the fact our government is gouging us on gasoline prices to price us out of our vehicle. Anyhow, have a great night and thanks for discussing this with me.

JERisBRISK

Sustaining Member +
Back in November, we bought a VW ID.4 for my wife to go along with my Stinger. Ours is just the RWD single motor, so it's not a rocket ship, but it's quick and effortless away from a light like many EVs. I enjoy driving it as it's very comfortable and modern, but it's a different experience than a traditional vehicle in terms of all the touchscreen controls that take some time to learn.

I spent $700 total for a Level 2 40 amp charger from Amazon ($400) and electrical installation at our home ($300). The VW comes with 3 years of free rapid charging at Electrify America stations, of which we have a few near us in the Chicago suburbs. It'll go from 5% to 80% charge in about 40 minutes of rapid charging there. At our home, it has taken no more than 5 hours to get a full charge overnight. Full range is around 250 miles in nice weather, but drops to about 180 miles when sub-freezing like we have now. Range on the highway over 70 mph drops quite quickly, with best efficiency at speeds below 65mph, although the same is true with mpg on ICE vehicles. We still charge up more frequently at home due to convenience, though, since the cost is still quite low.

My wife absolutely loves the ID.4, but for me as an enthusiast, I'd give a closer look to the Mach E, Ioniq 5, and the EV6 for something a little more fun and sporty. Although perhaps I'd be happy with the dual motor AWD ID.4 as well, but that wasn't available when we bought ours so I haven't driven one yet.

Any questions, feel free to let me know!

View attachment 67049 View attachment 67050 View attachment 67051 View attachment 67052 View attachment 67053

So, um... do the neighbors charge their EVs after the VW leaves for the day?