• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Contemplating Trading in the Stinger for an EV

JERisBRISK

Sustaining Member +
So as the title says, I’m seriously considering getting out of the Stinger and into an EV.
I commute about 150 miles per day (almost all Highway) and full up the tank every other day. So between time spent at the gas station and the actual cost of gas, I’m really thinking an EV makes more sense.
My issue is I absolutely love this car! From the looks both interior and exterior to the ride quality. It’s so fun to drive (although I could use a bit more power) and the compliments and stares it gets makes me feel great also lol.
IMO, there is no EV that can match the looks of this car anywhere near the price. But for what im paying in a car note added to the cost of gas every month, I can definitely afford an EV (ie. Tesla, EV6 if it ever is available, Ionic 5, etc).
I’m looking for opinions from fellow Stinger owners because I’m hoping you guys feel the same way about your cars and can understand my plight.
So what would you do? EV or keep your Stinger?
Thanks in advance for the input.

Somewhat ironically, I wound up with a Stinger when I found out both of the EVs I was considering wouldn't be available for another year (at least): the F-150 Lightning and the Cybertruck. I've been on pre-order lists for each since early days so I'm way up in the priority queue... but reps from both marks flat out told me they aren't going to be produced any time soon.

So, I bought a Stinger instead. I figured I'd drive it until the EV of my dreams comes along, then use it as a "Sunday driver" afterward and let the electric vehicle handle whatever commuting remains.

Un-ironically, but perhaps conveniently, I wound up scoring a full-time remote job (I live in Seattle, the job is based in Austin, TX), so I don't technically have to "commute" anywhere in the Stinger. That keeps the gas bill down for me. I still drive it way too much (being a new car that I'm actively learning and experimenting with) to be economical, but a lot less than I would if I had to drive it miles every day just to bring home the bacon...

If I can afford it by then, I'll have both.

Kinda gotta pay of the Stinger first, though, so my EV truck reservations might wind up being re-sold to the highest bidder...

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
Just need more nukes. And some innovation in that space.

Which will be 40 years from now.
Yea, good luck with that. We'll have to triple the amount of energy produced by nuclear. And i am sure the government with it's idiotic greeniac energy agenda will love this.

Last edited:

ht_addict

Stinger Enthusiast
Hamilton, Ontario
For all those that think moving to an EV is going to save the world, you have been duped out of your hard earned $$$$. North America produces 13-14million gas powered vehicles a year compared to 600-650K EVs. There is approx 250M gas powered vehicles driving on the roads in N.America. Can you see the dent in the pollution levels?? NOT!!! We do not have the production capacity to change that any time soon. We don't have the grid capacity to charge all those vehicles and supply house holds and business needs. And what happens during a power outage or a major event (hurricanes, tornado's, cyber attacks the grid, etc). Look at how the war in Ukraine has pushed everyone back to Fossil Fuels for there needs. Where is all that green energy that's going to save the day. Just have to look at Germany for the answer.

I could go on and on. Yet it won't change someone's opinion on buying an EV if they are dead set on doing it. I paid $43K CDN before tax for my 2020 GTLtd. A comparable EV is over $100K+. Even at gas prices today, I won't break even or come close.

With an ICE powered vehicle I can go any where any time with quick fill ups in between. No need to plan my trip to ensure I hit charging station along the way. Gas stations are a fine a dozen.

EVs arr not the solution. Governments would have been better pushing higher fuel efficiency, tougher pollution standards. Offer incentives for people to upgrade their old polluter for something more efficient. How about banning V6 or V8 engines. 4 bangers with a turbo or 2 produce plenty of HP for day to day driving.

Last edited:
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney
Not intersted in a vehicle that can't be charged when our electrical grid goes under.
You realise fuel pumps are run by the electricity grid as well & when was the last time for you that you couldn’t pump gas because the grid went under.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney
For all those that think moving to an EV is going to save the world, you have been duped out of your hard earned $$$$. North America produces 13-14million gas powered vehicles a year compared to 600-650K EVs. There is approx 250M gas powered vehicles driving on the roads in N.America. Can you see the dent in the pollution levels?? NOT!!! We do not have the production capacity to change that any time soon. We don't have the grid capacity to charge all those vehicles and supply house holds and business needs. And what happens during a power outage or a major event (hurricanes, tornado's, cyber attacks the grid, etc). Look at how the war in Ukraine has pushed everyone back to Fossil Fuels for there needs. Where is all that green energy that's going to save the day. Just have to look at Germany for the answer.

I could go on and on. Yet it won't change someone's opinion on buying an EV if they are dead set on doing it. I paid $43K CDN before tax for my 2020 GTLtd. A comparable EV is over $100K+. Even at gas prices today, I won't break even or come close.

With an ICE powered vehicle I can go any where any time with quick fill ups in between. No need to plan my trip to ensure I hit charging station along the way. Gas stations are a fine a dozen.

EVs arr not the solution. Governments would have been better pushing higher fuel efficiency, tougher pollution standards. Offer incentives for people to upgrade their old polluter for something more efficient. How about banning V6 or V8 engines. 4 bangers with a turbo or 2 produce plenty of HP for day to day driving.
I agree with your comments, based on current supply & price of EV’s I believe Hybrid is currently the best option, eg: in Australia you can get a Toyota RAV4 2.5L AWD Hybrid for AU$55K which uses approximately 6l/100 In city driving.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

BrocStar

Well said. I’ve been trying to talk to people about the hoax about global warming and green energy. Wind turbines Take copious amounts of oil to Ron. They’re not recyclable. Just. Look at Nancy Pelosi and other Politicians are invest in it. They’re investing in green energy companies and the only reason they’re pushing them so they don’t lose their asses on their investments. It’s all about money it’s always always been about money and if they tell you differently there a liars just about everything.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
Well said. I’ve been trying to talk to people about the hoax about global warming and green energy. Wind turbines Take copious amounts of oil to Ron. They’re not recyclable. Just. Look at Nancy Pelosi and other Politicians are invest in it. They’re investing in green energy companies and the only reason they’re pushing them so they don’t lose their asses on their investments. It’s all about money it’s always always been about money and if they tell you differently there a liars just about everything.
There's a bit (lot) of conflation here. "Green" was around long before anyone was profiting from it. Are you suggesting that only certain technologies should be open to the capitalists market? Isn't that contrary to the very idea of an open, competitive market?

As far as the anti EV sentiments in the past couple replies... just because it's difficult to transition away from something, doesn't mean it shouldn't and doesn't need to be done. Plenty of immoral and/or toxic practices, diseases, machines, medicines, etc in the past are just that, in the past. Progress is about making steps toward something, not sitting still and waiting for a resource to run dry, disease to kill millions of people, medicines that harm or are ineffective to be pulled from the market, labor practices that injure or enslave to be ended, etc etc etc. Hurtles are just that, and they get met head on with ingenuity and innovation. On the grand scheme of things humanity is tackling or has tackled, migrating transport to electric/renewables is probably going to be one of the more straight forward things to solve.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney
We have the same rhetoric here in Australia as well from government, we are told we are the laughing stock of the world because we have not acted quickly enough on “climate change”, ffs we have a population of 26 million & yet countries like China & India with populations of a billion plus hide behind the veil of developing economies & do nothing about their emissions.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
We have the same rhetoric here in Australia as well from government, we are told we are the laughing stock of the world because we have not acted quickly enough on “climate change”, ffs we have a population of 26 million & yet countries like China & India with populations of a billion plus hide behind the veil of developing economies & do nothing about their emissions.
The idea of fighting climate change by guilting people or countries into action failed a long time ago. So now the climate will persuade them, one every-thousand-years event at a time.

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
Solyndra-scandal-300x215.jpg

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

ht_addict

Stinger Enthusiast
Hamilton, Ontario
I agree with your comments, based on current supply & price of EV’s I believe Hybrid is currently the best option, eg: in Australia you can get a Toyota RAV4 2.5L AWD Hybrid for AU$55K which uses approximately 6l/100 In city driving.
100% agree and it allows more people to get into the game and reduce emissions. I had a 2012 Optima Hybrid that got 1000-1100km a tank. Better than the 650 the gas only version got.

ht_addict

Stinger Enthusiast
Hamilton, Ontario
In Canada we produce around 1.5% of the global CO2, yet our political leadership make it sound like we can save them world. Only thing it does is taxes us to death.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney
In Canada we produce around 1.5% of the global CO2, yet our political leadership make it sound like we can save them world. Only thing it does is taxes us to death.
Exactly, our global share is 1.16% how much of a difference are we going to make compared to other high emission countries who do nothing.
Agree, it’s just another reason to tax us as they are running out of options.

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
I will keep my stinger until runs down, why the F do you want to sell this amazing car, in few years ICE will be history and you won't be able to go back to an ICE but you can always in the future buy the EV6 or another awesome Kia EV.

BrocStar

There's a bit (lot) of conflation here. "Green" was around long before anyone was profiting from it. Are you suggesting that only certain technologies should be open to the capitalists market? Isn't that contrary to the very idea of an open, competitive market?

As far as the anti EV sentiments in the past couple replies... just because it's difficult to transition away from something, doesn't mean it shouldn't and doesn't need to be done. Plenty of immoral and/or toxic practices, diseases, machines, medicines, etc in the past are just that, in the past. Progress is about making steps toward something, not sitting still and waiting for a resource to run dry, disease to kill millions of people, medicines that harm or are ineffective to be pulled from the market, labor practices that injure or enslave to be ended, etc etc etc. Hurtles are just that, and they get met head on with ingenuity and innovation. On the grand scheme of things humanity is tackling or has tackled, migrating transport to electric/renewables is probably going to be one of the more straight forward things to solve.
What is your solution for power grids that cannot sustain the current populations? Moving to electric vehicles? With a system has been proven to fail like what happened in Texas big freeze show us we need fossil fuels. There is no way around it. It will never be not needed. If people like yourself are so focused on EV cars, without thinking of the long term consequences of mining millions of acres of soil to find lithium needed to make batters. I say its on you and the like minded people to first start with public transportation. Its simple, it easy and its cheap. But I know the answer to that, its a big NO! Because your not willing to sacrifice your own personal wants and desires of the freedom of driving. But you want to take the choice away from others by eliminating combustion vehicles. I say that is a hypocritical way of thinking sir, and you do not deserve to make that choice nor does anyone else. Cheers and enjoy those blackouts.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
What is your solution for power grids that cannot sustain the current populations? Moving to electric vehicles? With a system has been proven to fail like what happened in Texas big freeze show us we need fossil fuels. There is no way around it. It will never be not needed. If people like yourself are so focused on EV cars, without thinking of the long term consequences of mining millions of acres of soil to find lithium needed to make batters. I say its on you and the like minded people to first start with public transportation. Its simple, it easy and its cheap. But I know the answer to that, its a big NO! Because your not willing to sacrifice your own personal wants and desires of the freedom of driving. But you want to take the choice away from others by eliminating combustion vehicles. I say that is a hypocritical way of thinking sir, and you do not deserve to make that choice nor does anyone else. Cheers and enjoy those blackouts.
I've already posted everything you have on this topic and specifically the power grid issues (have fun finding the posts through the search function). Difference is I was acknowledging the present, not using it as ammunition to kill the future. I also used a lot less "you people" statements, "you people" are assuming a lot.

More unfortunate news -- discussing this topic on a stinger forum will move the needle in any direction not a hair. Honestly, everyone's so burned out with everything being a crisis, action on actual crisis's get minimized/ignored/procrastinated.

Dan00Hawk

Plainfield, IL
So, um... do the neighbors charge their EVs after the VW leaves for the day?
No, and they don't use our garden hose to water their lawn, or plug their Christmas lights into our outdoor electrical outlets either We also have a camera that would show if that was happening though. :)

Devin

Sustaining Member
Seattle-ish
Horses and carriages: they're sustainable, run on biofuels and are biodegradable. Should've never fallen for the horse-less carriage hoax.

RIck-F

I love EVs. I'll even buy one when I can drive 350 miles in ANY weather, hot or cold, with the heat or AC on and using the entertainment system-- and then CONVENIENTLY get a full charge in 20 minutes.

I think this will happen someday, but not soon -- 2-3 decades, that is IF another technology is not adopted prior to this.

About 40% of the population does not currently live in a single-family home where they can charge at home and I can't imagine where convenient charging would be available to folks living in apartments, housing complexes, etc. And if you have watched the Green people in congress you may have noticed they want to have more & more multi-unit dwellings . . . I think the long-range plan is NO personal cars . . .

Attachments

• No-So-Green.jpg
    No-So-Green.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1