Contemplating Trading in the Stinger for an EV

Stinger Dad

Newish Member
So as the title says, I’m seriously considering getting out of the Stinger and into an EV.
I commute about 150 miles per day (almost all Highway) and full up the tank every other day. So between time spent at the gas station and the actual cost of gas, I’m really thinking an EV makes more sense.
My issue is I absolutely love this car! From the looks both interior and exterior to the ride quality. It’s so fun to drive (although I could use a bit more power) and the compliments and stares it gets makes me feel great also lol.
IMO, there is no EV that can match the looks of this car anywhere near the price. But for what im paying in a car note added to the cost of gas every month, I can definitely afford an EV (ie. Tesla, EV6 if it ever is available, Ionic 5, etc).
I’m looking for opinions from fellow Stinger owners because I’m hoping you guys feel the same way about your cars and can understand my plight.
So what would you do? EV or keep your Stinger?
Thanks in advance for the input.

NIU_Huskies

Only EV in my price range that I find interesting and worthwhile is the Mach-E. But I can see how filling up with premium at around $50 or more per tank is adding up to a lot of money.

punkfs

Only EV in my price range that I find interesting and worthwhile is the Mach-E. But I can see how filling up with premium at around $50 or more per tank is adding up to a lot of money.
yeah, lol. this car sucks on gas. I spent around 600 or 700 a month on fuel

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Stinger Dad

Newish Member
Haven’t really looked into those. Have never been a Mustang fan so I never really looked but I’ll check it out. Thanks
yeah, lol. this car sucks on gas. I spent around 600 or 700 a month on fuel
I wanted to get a GT but then thought it would be crazy in terms of gas. Didn’t realize the 2.0 (which honestly isn’t horrible if I drive like a responsible adult) would have me at the Costco gas station so often I know the station fill up schedule smh. And yep I’m at about 600 a month.

ht_addict

Stinger Enthusiast
Hamilton, Ontario
Nothing stopping you from running regular basis, especially if you're just driving back and forth to work.

RedCal

2500 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Haven’t really looked into those. Have never been a Mustang fan so I never really looked but I’ll check it out. Thanks

I wanted to get a GT but then thought it would be crazy in terms of gas. Didn’t realize the 2.0 (which honestly isn’t horrible if I drive like a responsible adult) would have me at the Costco gas station so often I know the station fill up schedule smh. And yep I’m at about 600 a month.
There are no EV's I would own... (that are in my budget Taycan is the cheapest one I like lol)
However the Mustang gets good reviews and from what I have heard/seen very well built (there are a few WTF things... but I feel every car does its just if there are deal breakers for you)

Edit - Not your normal car "review" but the Mach-E ones might interest you

Last edited:

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
To the OP, have you done the math to determine what your new car cost, initial electrical cost (cost of installing the charger), daily electrical costs, and any other costs associated with an EV will be? How long to break even and start savings money?

DonD

My issue is I absolutely love this car! From the looks both interior and exterior to the ride quality. It’s so fun to drive (although I could use a bit more power)
Thanks in advance for the input.
Wanted a bit more power, should have gotten the 3.3TT, big upgrade.

I'd like a Tesla Plaid S but not at over $140,000 out the door. Don

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

app_master

Founding Member
Brisbane, Australia
EVs still need to be filled up. It's not free to run them. Sure, far cheaper per mile but I personally still don't think EVs are efficient enough yet.

0zman99

I love EVs, definitely my next car. I don't drive enough to justify upgrading to one currently (Got 26k km on a 2018 Stinger).

If you drive a lot (and assuming you charge at home), you will save a considerable amount of money depending on your location. Plus the instant torque is so addictive.

StingertimeNC

1000 Posts Club!
NC
I'm dreading the switch to an EV that will eventually come. May have to keep the stinger forever too.

You will need one of those juiced up outlets in the garage so you can fill up in around 8 hours.

Tesla Model 3 or Model Y seem financially doable compared to a Stinger plus 2.5 tanks of gas per week.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
@Stinger Dad, is the cost of gas unaffordable or offensive (as in, you are having trouble justifying the expense for personal economy reasons)? If you love driving in the Stinger enough and even $700 per month is not breaking the bank, or making you go without things that you want more than the Stinger, then I say keep the Stinger, and maybe even upgrade to at least a 2.5L. But that's only if you really, really, really like the driving because the car is that fun (it is to me).

Stinger Dad

Newish Member
I appreciate all of the input. I didn’t give the back story in my initial post because I figured posting an essay may not be a good look lol. But I’ll try the shortest version I can.
So my wife is a teacher and I’m a guidance counselor. We moved upstate NY at the start of the pandemic but still work in the city. Have a 1 year old daughter and planned on having child care because we have family up here. Childcare fell through (family woes) so my wife is on child care leave. We’re still good financially but I’m figuring if I can offset that $600 on gas and save time waiting on line for gas at Costco every other day (it’s literally on my way to work) it would be beneficial. My program hours are in the evening so I’m never in traffic going or coming.
I enjoy spirited driving so when I’m leaving work at 9pm and see open road, it takes all my will power to just put the car in cruise control and not try to get home as fast as I can.
I still have a lot more research to do on EV’s but I’ve already put 16k miles on the car in 6 months. So if I’m going to trade it in I figure it’s better with less mileage.

app_master

Founding Member
Brisbane, Australia
I appreciate all of the input. I didn’t give the back story in my initial post because I figured posting an essay may not be a good look lol. But I’ll try the shortest version I can.
So my wife is a teacher and I’m a guidance counselor. We moved upstate NY at the start of the pandemic but still work in the city. Have a 1 year old daughter and planned on having child care because we have family up here. Childcare fell through (family woes) so my wife is on child care leave. We’re still good financially but I’m figuring if I can offset that $600 on gas and save time waiting on line for gas at Costco every other day (it’s literally on my way to work) it would be beneficial. My program hours are in the evening so I’m never in traffic going or coming.
I enjoy spirited driving so when I’m leaving work at 9pm and see open road, it takes all my will power to just put the car in cruise control and not try to get home as fast as I can.
I still have a lot more research to do on EV’s but I’ve already put 16k miles on the car in 6 months. So if I’m going to trade it in I figure it’s better with less mileage.
Sounds like an EV is definitely suitable (desirable even) for your commuting needs and you'd likely save significant money in the longer term. Your research is key for the "right" EV ... my thoughts are they are still relatively new (except Tesla) so choice and price (and technology!) will change considerably in the short term. For me ... I'm waiting eagerly for the influx of true sport car inspired evs in the affordable realm, just like the Stinger was. Good luck man.

punkfs

I fill up probably around every 3 days at worst. About 5 bucks a gallon for premium in Hawaii atm

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
Our old honda accord (2.4L NA) got upwards of 35-40 mpg on the highway, ~500 miles per tank (17 US gal). Perhaps the stinger is not the best commuter car ;).