kia stinger store

2.0T Community Thread

Yemen

Bronx
Recently got the Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust and wanted to give a review. I have the base model so I don't have the fake exhaust sound pumped into the car, so from the factory the car is lexus quiet inside, and I just wanted a little more sounds. I ordered it from Magnaflow Exhaust Solutions, they currently are running a 20% off sale so I was able to buy it for $959.14 with free shipping. I do want to mention that hottexhaust.com has very mixed reviews and their BBB rating is awful, but my order went through fine and I received it less than a week later.

As far as installation, I had a local muffler shop install it for $180. It was a little loud from inside but I thought it sounded pretty good, and the drone didn't bother me, but my daughter said it felt like her head was about to explode riding in the back seat. I went back to the shop and mentioned I heard on the forums that exhaust tips helps with drone, but the guy said that was hard to believe and insisted on Vibrant Resonators on each side. After installing the resonators the overall sound got lower but the drone/reverberation was 10 times worse, felt like the pressure you feel on an airplane when you go up. Went back to the shop and insisted they try tips, he was adamant that you don't want to have exhaust tips fixed to your exhaust pipe and squeezed through and touching the bumper opening, so he suggested extending the pipes to almost to the end of the existing tips but not touching the tips or body of the car. Whatever, I just wanted to get rid of the drone so I agreed and I also asked to take the resonators back off. After, doing that it was night and day difference with the drone. If fact there is ZERO drone with the tips extended and overall it's way quieter - my daughter agrees. I actually wouldn't mind if it was a little louder.

From the outside it still sounds pretty good. I was worried an aftermarket exhaust for a 4 cyl would either be raspy or fart-can boy racer but it has a nice deep sound and it's not too loud, it's enough that people around you can hear and do a double take, but not annoying. Feels like driving a different car now. Highly recommended!
Can you send a picture of your exhaust tips? I want to see how long they should come out so I can eliminate drone. Do you extend it through the fake tips? Or just before?

mandasol

Cumming, GA
Hello everybody. I have had my 2019 Stinger 2.0 base for about 3 months now and am coming out of a 2016 Optima SX 2.0T.

What is everyone getting for 0-60 times in the 2.0? After I few months of driving I felt like the Stinger was a little faster than my Optima but the other day I took it out on some back roads and did some 0-60 times and was pretty surprised to be getting in the 7 to 7.5 second range. Pretty much right where my Optima was.

I have had a hard time finding 0-60 times for the 2.0 online but the few I did see where anywhere from 5.7 to 6.2. Has anyone else checked their times stock and what were u getting?

Low 7's stock sounds within reasonable a range depending on elevation, ambient temps, road/tire conditions, and how good of a launch you can get. It's hard to get a really good launch off the line (even with launch control) with the 2.0. With a really good launch you can get into the mid to high 6's stock. With a piggy back tune you can get into the low 6's - high 5's. Add aftermarket intake, exhaust and intercooler and you can see the mid 5's.
Can you send a picture of your exhaust tips? I want to see how long they should come out so I can eliminate drone. Do you extend it through the fake tips? Or just before?

I don't know if you need to have them extend as far as the shop did on mine, but this is how mine look.

20191121_170729.jpg 20191121_170725.jpg 20191121_170722.jpg 20191121_170717.jpg

Yemen

Bronx
Low 7's stock sounds within reasonable a range depending on elevation, ambient temps, road/tire conditions, and how good of a launch you can get. It's hard to get a really good launch off the line (even with launch control) with the 2.0. With a really good launch you can get into the mid to high 6's stock. With a piggy back tune you can get into the low 6's - high 5's. Add aftermarket intake, exhaust and intercooler and you can see the mid 5's.

I don't know if you need to have them extend as far as the shop did on mine, but this is how mine look.

View attachment 36209 View attachment 36210 View attachment 36211 View attachment 36212
And on your setup you have very little drone?

mandasol

Cumming, GA
And on your setup you have very little drone?

Yes from inside the cabin very little - I would say almost no drone even in the notoriously bad 1700-2300 rpm cruising range. Before extending the tips the drone was pretty ridiculous and I would have rather gone back to stock, now I wouldn't go back to stock if you paid me as the driving experience is much more engaging and fun.

One thing I would note is that the exhaust sound changes from day to day depending on weather (cold/hot/dry/wet conditions). Sometimes it sounds very quiet to where it's almost like the stock exhaust and some days it sounds noticeably louder - still not enough drone to even make it annoying IMO.

I will say that from the outside the exhaust is kind of loud. My wife and daughter say they can hear my exhaust from inside the house when I come home. I've also heard people say they can hear it from a good ways down the street if I rev the engine.

Jbran23

Newish Member
What's a piggy back tune? And what would be the cheapest and most effective mods you would recommend for acceleration and performance that would not void the factory warranty?

Eric OHalloran

John's Creek, Ga.
Blacked out the Stinger. Side reflectors, rims and all chrome (except for door handles) Blkout Stinger.jpg

Eric OHalloran

John's Creek, Ga.
Looks good! I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have a Panthera Metal as well. Are the wheels powder coated? And how did u black out the trim?
Everything was done with PlastiDip www.dipyourcar.com - I was very hesitant about DIY projects like this. I had to watch many videos that they provide to convince myself I could do this myself. It worked out great and I am hooked. The great thing is that its relatively cheap and if you don't like the results you just peel it off and start over from scratch. Downside, it lasts one year to 18 months before it starts looking like crap. So I will just do it again. lol

LedZepp007

Hey all, first post. Performance wise can anyone compare the Stinger 2.0 with the VW GTI? It’d be helpful. I know they are very different cars, but it would give me a sense.

TStaino

Connecticut
Anyone interested in some 2.0T performance parts? All are barely used and in excellent condition.

Send me your zip for shipping quotes.

Jun BL EVC Catback (with 2 extra actuators):
— less than 500 miles on the exhaust
— new this sells for $2100
— it’s yours for $1500 (pick up)
— not looking to ship this, but will meet up if you’re a reasonable driving distance

Maintec Performance Front Mount Intercooler w/ HKS SQV4 BOV:
— less than 500 miles on the FMIC
— new this sells for $1100 ($850 for FMIC and $250 for BOV)
— it’s yours for $750 + shipping

K&N Performance Intake System:
— about 1500 miles on the intake
— new this sells for $275
— it’s yours for $190 + shipping

Velossa Tech Big Ram Air Intake Snorkel (Black/Black):
— less than 500 miles on the snorkel
— new this sells for $170
— it’s yours for $120 + shipping

If you want it all as a package deal, I’ll drop the total price to $2300 for everything listed.

Alagos

Germany / Hannover
Im giving up .. was 2 times at the dealer because of shaking while standing ..
no cruise mode / sailing sometimes .. in comparison a way too high fuel consumption - but analysis said everything is right. The moment where cruising wont work is while the particle filter (2019 GT-Line comes with it) is cleaning ..I have the car for a year now but since January i found out this is happening because driving feels not as smooth as I remember

Well let’s say I’m confused .. driving home with 12 liters at 70-80 km/h is crazy ..

Will try a longer tour .. maybe it helps .. Want my 7-8 liters back again ..

I'm getting 7-8litres most of the time going down the freeway for work. I don't often go over 11litrs on average (if I wanna have some fun)

If it's shaking while idle, Sounds like fuel filter or spark plug issue maybe. I could be completely wrong though.

Any loss in power when your driving?

Alagos

Germany / Hannover
Not sure if it’s power loss .. feels strange but acceleration works good I guess.

shaking while standing / idling is only when the car is cold - fuel pump has been changed because of Starting problems - these are gone.
Kia says everything is right.
Im going to drive a longer tour today hoping to get the OPF clean -.. otherwise I drive it until I can’t drive anymore and need to service it

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
@Alagos I have felt very similar things to what you're describing. Sometimes the car feels twitchy and feels like it can't hold the revs at a constant speed, regardless if it's on cruise control or if I am pressing on the pedal. The soft acceleration is not smooth. Hard acceleration is fine.
During these symptoms fuel consumption is also much much higher.
I also assumed it's the cleaning of the particulate filter but strangely, it always requires a turn off and on for the behaviour to go back to normal. If I keep driving it doesn't change.
And the particulate filter light does not light up. This happened only once.
Not sure what to do about it... I decided to ask for a fuel filter change and maybe check the spark plugs. How was yours behaving that lead to the fuel pump change?

PS: I also have the vibrations when it's cold. When put in reverse they are quite severe. When the engine gets warm they disappear or are almost unnoticeable.

Alagos

Germany / Hannover
@Alagos I have felt very similar things to what you're describing. Sometimes the car feels twitchy and feels like it can't hold the revs at a constant speed, regardless if it's on cruise control or if I am pressing on the pedal. The soft acceleration is not smooth. Hard acceleration is fine.
During these symptoms fuel consumption is also much much higher.
I also assumed it's the cleaning of the particulate filter but strangely, it always requires a turn off and on for the behaviour to go back to normal. If I keep driving it doesn't change.
And the particulate filter light does not light up. This happened only once.
Not sure what to do about it... I decided to ask for a fuel filter change and maybe check the spark plugs. How was yours behaving that lead to the fuel pump change?

PS: I also have the vibrations when it's cold. When put in reverse they are quite severe. When the engine gets warm they disappear or are almost unnoticeable.

Vibrations only when cold right .. but that seems to be normal.

Well .. the fuel Pump got changed because of the vibrations / power loss while driving and high consumption. but I had also Startup problems, sounded like he couldn’t get fuel.

My dealer had once another car where he did it and it helped. One guy 1 week before I got there had also this problem so they changed the pump - everything is good now for him.

so they renewed mine too just for test.
the consumption is high, the vibration is still there but he starts up fine again.

consumption is due to particle filter - last week I had no high consumption (excluding my driving with 210km/h to work)
I guess it’s right .. I drive it on a way where It begins cleaning but can’t finish it fully but the filter not full enough To bring the lamp on.

Sad is, the dealer didn’t know about the sailing / cruising in eco mode he learned it now, and that nobody could say it’s the particle filter which is cleaning. should be written more detailed in the manual

for now everything is okay again..

Problems started shortly after new year. I could bet it had to do with my oilchange and software update ..
To update, they almost emptied the tank without doing kilometers so it stands on while they perform the update.. standing that long in neutral without driving - not the best thing for a Motor I guess

7Andrei7

Bucharest, EU
I also noticed this problems with cruising after using a car for a few weeks in the very crowded urban traffic. A lot of standstill and very little moving.
Still, I want to replace the filter, just in case. On my previous car the filter would be replaced every 15k km by VW. But it was a diesel. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Otherwise, I have 43.000 KM and it still makes me smile every time I accelerate :)

Alagos

Germany / Hannover
I give up .. consumption after 2 hours of Autobahn City and several streets with 70/100 it’s still over 10
Liters where paper says should be around 6...No cruising

I guess even 3.3 drivers have a better consumption :(

Battery runs low I guess since Start stop also didn’t work after 2 hours of driving ..
unhappy :( but Kia can’t help since Analyse said it’s just the cleaning process of the filter ..does it stop the cleaning process or do I need to shut off the car for that .. don’t Know .. but each time im more unhappy .. maybe the car was a mistake. Or my dealer is a mistake. at least it’s driving so I shouldn’t be mad i guess...

Weareblondi

Stinger Enthusiast
south florida
have you tried contacting head office as opposed to the dealer, or trying another dealer? here is the states, kia dealers are hit or miss. by a huge margin. either they are really helpful and caring or they are aloof and don't care.