kia stinger store

2.0T Community Thread

TStaino

Connecticut
Hello fellow 2L Owners!

There seem to be very few of us (at least comparatively to 3.3TT owners) on this forum, so I wanted to start a thread specifically for us.

Who else owns a 2L Stinger? And what mods (if any) have you done?

I will kick us off..

Car:
-2019 Kia Stinger AWD Base Model w/ Sun & Sound Package
-Aurora Black Pearl w/ Black Leather Interior
-Stinger All Weather Rubber Floor Mats

Installed Mods:
-JB4 with Fuel Control Wire
-BMS Pedal Tuner
-K&N Typhoon Performance Intake System
-HKS M45XL Spark Plugs Gapped @ .022”
-BMS Oil Catch Can
-BMS Billet Aluminum Strut Braces (Black)
-Auto Dimming Mirror w/ HomeLink & Compass

Purchased Mods (installing soon):
-Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air Intake (Black/Black)
-Maintec Performance Intercooler Kit

Seriously Considering Mods:
-Jun BL EVC Catback Exhaust System

Last edited:

spacedawg

Alabama, USA
Fellow 2.0er here, agree that there never seems to be many of us around, at least not vocal enough to post much.

- 2018 Stinger Base RWD w/ ADAS package
- Micro blue w/ black leather interior, aftermarket tint, klexus hood/hatch badges
- OEM remote start, cargo mat, cargo net

Only mod I have installed so far is the K&N Intake. Next up will be exhaust. Been contemplating the Magnaflow catback since it seems to be a little more understated, a bit less tin canny.

Will most definitely get a JB4 or something like it eventually, just not ready to make that leap yet (would prefer a full ECU tune tbh). One day hopefully we’ll have options for a bigger turbo as well. Once I’ve eaten enough of my warranty I’ll probably go all out w/ some stuff like that.

spacedawg

Alabama, USA
Also forgot, after exhaust i’m probably going to get some black rims or powder coat the OEM rims, not sure which yet. I’d also like to either wrap or paint the silver trim pieces in gloss black to match (of course the door handle trim will need to be body color).

TStaino

Connecticut
Fellow 2.0er here, agree that there never seems to be many of us around, at least not vocal enough to post much.

Agreed.

Only mod I have installed so far is the K&N Intake. Next up will be exhaust. Been contemplating the Magnaflow catback since it seems to be a little more understated, a bit less tin canny.

I do like the sound of this video from Magnaflow:

But I love the idea of having a switch to turn from basically stock, to sounding like this :eek::

Honestly, this is probably too much for me, but having the ability to just turn it off whenever I want, makes me care a lot less. I know.. the price... but it’s almost worth it to me, to pay double to be able to turn it on and off when I want.

spacedawg

Alabama, USA
Yeah the price on EVC is what’s keeping me hesitant there. I also considered something like those loudvalves, basically a dump valve that opens up at certain boost pressures. So you basically get stock sound at low and cruising RPM, but it opens up to the dump valve and probably sounds like a muffler delete when you open it up (Really depends on where you place it i guess). Also read that they can be prone to exhaust leak tho, so that and price on EVC is why I keep gravitating back to the Magnaflow.

spacedawg

Alabama, USA
Do you remember where you read that? Still doing research and can be swayed... especially at half the price.

I might not have been clear in that last sentence, I read that those dump valves are sometimes prone to exhaust leak. I haven’t really read much on EVCs to know about their issues, though I’m sure with the added complexity of an electronic controller and switch, there’s bound to be some issues.

TStaino

Connecticut
1BD3993A-CE66-4E52-88E2-AEFA9005F8D5.png 65B0850C-D60E-4D57-9188-3CF3F1D3EE00.png Yes for sure have noticed a difference with JB4. I don’t have a draggy, but the latest firmware of the JB4 will track MPH, and hence tracks your 0-60 times. The best stock 0-60 I’ve done is 6.6 sec... the best with the JB4 (Map 2) is 5.75 sec! :thumbup:

TwiceStung

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
This could be a very lonely thread but here I am. 2.0 premium RWD silky silver with as many extras as you can get (safety, sound and sun) in a 2018 Premium. This is actually my second 2.0 after getting the base in early 2018 then selling it to Carvana for a profit about one year ago. They won’t make that mistake again. Ha! Planning on buying out the lease. Am at just under 7000 miles after 11 months. No problems (loud knocking on wood).

No performance mods but some are desired, mainly JB4. Power is more than adequate for my needs otherwise and I like getting over 30mpg highway (34 recent long trip).

Extra set of rims with Nokian WRG3’s for these savage western NC winters. They were on the car for a few months last winter. Great grip but a little noisy. Can be run year round if needed.

Roof wrapped (partial self); windows tinted, ceramic coated (self); color matching vinyl wrapped/tinted rear side reflectors, rear reflectors, hood vents, rear diffuser area; rear black type G spoiler with side black vinyl “extensions” to each side; rebadged to rear Stinger logo with the rest (steering wheel, front, wheels) all vintage K; ceramic coated tires (yes there is such a glossy coating for rubber); dash mat; tux mats.

A few strategic placements of PPF up front on the plastic where it seems to want to chip, “dent” or otherwise get marked by every rock and pebble that it meets. The base 2.0 did NOT do this. It was also silky silver. No other known paint issues so far.

I’m sure I missed something in there. Haven’t played much with performance. This is my commuter every day car, not a track star. Same reason I got silky silver......practical and does not show dirt, but also doesn’t stand out like arrest me red. After the high speed fuel pump went kaput in my (first) base 2.0, I’m a bit gun shy about trying anything under the hood.

Could attach pics but need better and new ones. Take care all!

Silverfox

Cardiff, UK
I get what you're saying, TStaino, most posts seem to be about the 3.3. I just assume pretty everyone in the US would have the 3.3 so that would explain it.

I'm a 2.0 owner in the UK. Got mine mid August and love it. It has all the power I'll ever need or use so didn't see the point of the 3.3 plus after reading all the horror stories about the sunroof and the fact that when I had one in a previous car I never used it (cue jokes about UK weather!) I decided do go without it.

In the UK the base 2.0 has everything the 3.3 has except sunroof, 360 cameras, ventilated seats, powered hatch and wireless charging so didn't feel I was missing out on much.

TwiceStung

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
I'd love to see pics, especially of the wrapped sections since I'm mulling wrapping vs painting all the silver trim on my micro blue.
Here’s some fresh pics and Christine is actually clean today!

Attachments

• BC40F94A-4584-422C-810D-DD0BABA6E865.jpeg
    BC40F94A-4584-422C-810D-DD0BABA6E865.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 42
  • F420A69B-1BF8-48E2-9E98-5BA1C823359B.jpeg
    F420A69B-1BF8-48E2-9E98-5BA1C823359B.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 45
  • D83F4DB1-B00D-4045-864F-0CFD8FD1D093.jpeg
    D83F4DB1-B00D-4045-864F-0CFD8FD1D093.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 26634E83-C96B-4FC8-AE6E-EB3744E36940.jpeg
    26634E83-C96B-4FC8-AE6E-EB3744E36940.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 43
  • FEEDEB81-C022-42D9-B496-D2A0336D798F.jpeg
    FEEDEB81-C022-42D9-B496-D2A0336D798F.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 42

mandasol

Cumming, GA
There are actually a lot of 2.0 threads started but die off really quickly due to the inevitable "should have gotten a GT" comments by 3.3 owners (which I think there should be a rule against). Especially any threads about performance mods. Most of the comments are well meaning and does make sense if you start to spend enough to close the gap to the 3.3 then it would seem logical to just move up to the 3.3. However, well meaning or not, those comments end 2.0 threads really quick and also leaves a bad impression on owners of 2.0's and you end up with less participation in the forum. At least IMO and I've been around since the early days of this forum.

2018 Silky Silver Base 2.0 RWD

Mods
HID 6000K headlight Kit
Back up light LED
Badges - hood, trunk, wheels, steering wheel, door strike covers
Wrap - Full roof, full chrome delete, door handles, side vents, front grille upper & lower, rear bumper, rear diffuser
3M Crystalline tint
M&S type S rear spoiler painted silky silver
Remote Start
Homelink rearview mirror
Carpet Cargo Mat with seatback protection
Eibach sways f/r
Eibach springs f/r, but just got the H&R rwd specific springs and will change out soon
RaceChip GTS Black with Bluetooth
HKS M45XL Spark plugs
BMS pedal tuner
K&N Typhoon Intake

Factory recalls
ECU replacement
GDI fuel pump replacement
Wire harness recall replacement
Transmission software update

Pics: What did you do to your Kia Stinger today?

I have a dragy and I concur with TStaino. Without tune high 6's 0-60 but mostly in the 7's. Best so far with the racechip is 5.71 but mostly in the low 6's.

However, I didn't get my car to drag race on the street. I have to commute about 2-3 hours each day in bumper to bumper city traffic, so I mostly got the performance mods to improve daily drive-ability in traffic.

spacedawg

Alabama, USA
There are actually a lot of 2.0 threads started but die off really quickly due to the inevitable "should have gotten a GT" comments by 3.3 owners (which I think there should be a rule against). Especially any threads about performance mods. Most of the comments are well meaning and does make sense if you start to spend enough to close the gap to the 3.3 then it would seem logical to just move up to the 3.3. However, well meaning or not, those comments end 2.0 threads really quick and also leaves a bad impression on owners of 2.0's and you end up with less participation in the forum. At least IMO and I've been around since the early days of this forum.

2018 Silky Silver Base 2.0 RWD

Mods
HID 6000K headlight Kit
Back up light LED
Badges - hood, trunk, wheels, steering wheel, door strike covers
Wrap - Full roof, full chrome delete, door handles, side vents, front grille upper & lower, rear bumper, rear diffuser
3M Crystalline tint
M&S type S rear spoiler painted silky silver
Remote Start
Homelink rearview mirror
Carpet Cargo Mat with seatback protection
Eibach sways f/r
Eibach springs f/r, but just got the H&R rwd specific springs and will change out soon
RaceChip GTS Black with Bluetooth
HKS M45XL Spark plugs
BMS pedal tuner
K&N Typhoon Intake

Factory recalls
ECU replacement
GDI fuel pump replacement
Wire harness recall replacement
Transmission software update

Pics: What did you do to your Kia Stinger today?

I have a dragy and I concur with TStaino. Without tune high 6's 0-60 but mostly in the 7's. Best so far with the racechip is 5.71 but mostly in the low 6's.

However, I didn't get my car to drag race on the street. I have to commute about 2-3 hours each day in bumper to bumper city traffic, so I mostly got the performance mods to improve daily drive-ability in traffic.

Yep, I've gotten those same replies even tho I said the cost difference in lots of mods for 2.0 vs buying a GT was still heavily in my favor even if I didn't get full GT gains out of it, but I guess they just can't see the point. Oh well.

For your chrome delete, what did you cover it with? Doesn't look straight gloss black, looks like it closely matches the dark trim on the bottom of the car, which I think is ideal.

mandasol

Cumming, GA
For your chrome delete, what did you cover it with? Doesn't look straight gloss black, looks like it closely matches the dark trim on the bottom of the car, which I think is ideal.

Sorry I don't recall the number. I had a shop do it for me. They had a million samples to choose so we actually used 3 different colors - solid gloss black for the roof and polished chrome, metallic charcoal black to match bumper to extend it up and dark grey metallic for the matte silver chrome.

TStaino

Connecticut
Thanks for chiming in @TwiceStung, @Silverfox, and @mandasol!! Great to hear from other 2.0 owners.

I agree that the “should have gotten a GT” comment gets old really fast, but I have seen from most 2.0 owners on here that these cars are used as everyday drivers and I agree that the 2.0 is a much more practical option. Sure, I’d love to feel the power of the 3.3 when I step on it, but most of the time I am cruising on the highway and drive a lot for work. Plus with all the mods I’ve added (or am going to) I should be well over 300hp and that is plenty of power for me.

What other 2.0 owners are out there?! Let’s keep this thread going!