Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We have over 10,000 viewers online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Register Now
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Which is everyone's favorite car wax?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Detailing Discussion' started by Kia Stinger, Feb 21, 2018.

1. scharn

scharn United States Member

Wow you got to take some pics of that. Nothing beats a good wax when it comes to adding that wet deep look to paint. Also out of curiosity why don't you go with a ceramic coat first and then wax on top of it?

2. Stinger4Banger

Stinger4Banger United States Newish Member

Eh, kinda hard to justify the price of a ceramic coating job at the detailer, especially to the wife :rolleyes:
    For the purposes of having a layer of protection on the paint, sealants and glazes last long enough in my case (about 4 months). As long as I keep layering on that butter wet every 2 or 3 washes or so, wont have to worry about her paint for a while. Although I do like that sweet glossy glass look ceramic coatings give to the car :D
    Sealants and waxes get close enough though. What I have been looking into is something like CarPro Reload or Hydro2, which is kinda like a product between sealant and ceramic coating.

3. scharn

They do make consumer coatings which aren't that expensive, and offer protection for 2-3 years. I agree that the detailer route is pretty expensive. It sounded like you know what you are doing with this stuff, and don't mind putting in that little extra work.

4. Stinger4Banger

Oh yeah those definitely caught my eye. Although, I've read and seen that if you somehow mess up the coating and leave some "high spots", you'll have rainbowing and fogging in areas that wont come off unless you polish them again since ceramic coating is so semi-permanent. Hopefully one day ill have the guts to go through with it lol.

5. scharn

Definitely a possibility but i'm not sort of freak detailing god and I've done it a few times now and its actually very easy. The biggest challenge for me is to just take my time and go slow. If you start rushing it and don't buff out properly those areas yeah that can happen. That is part of the reason why my favorite coating has been 22ple HPC because when it is drying up, it hardens you can tell far more easily than most what area you have buffed away properly. Like this first pic is it going on and you can see the haze on the black.

[​IMG]

This was like 8-10mins later
    [​IMG]

You can see how easy it is to see it.

And this is it buffed off which is very easy.
    [​IMG]

6. Stinger4Banger

Oh yeah that looks almost as easy as my sealant! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that brand out. 8-10 minutes sounds a lot better than Cquartz which can be anywhere from 30 seconds to just under a minute to flash :eek:

7. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

from what I notice with my car that is ceramic coated, though the 'protection' might be there for a year or two, the nice glossy looks goes away after a few months.

I like the 'freshly waxed' looks, so I dont mind spending a day every other month to itimately feel the Stinger by waxing it. I think sometimes coating brands market it as this magical product, put it on and forget about the paint for the next two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. scharn

Oh yeah it definitely isn't some magical bs that they promise but it does have some significant benefits. Not only does some of the "gloss" go away but the slickness diminishes overtime as well. You have to use ceramic topper products to bring back some of the shine and slickness. It also helps to use soaps designed for coatings, not some off the shelf meguiars stuff because it will eat away at those properties.

I've got pinnacle souverain wax (which is amazing for looks but zero longevity) and pinnacle black label synergy wax, and from time to time i'll put that on over the coat.

9. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

I use Carpro Reset shampoo and Reload to top up the ceramic content, maintaining that slickness and the gloss. they work well. but lookig at the price for these products and the initial investment in getting the coating on.

i dont really see the 'promised' benefits as much - cheaper for the long term and longer protection. i still need to put Reload on once in a while just like waxing and a bottle of reset or reload is not cheap either.

i am talking from someone who has ceramic coating on and have all the complimentary products to go with it here. what i am saying is that ceramic coating not useless but not a necessity either.

10. Madman

Madman Australia Active Member Sustaining Member

Think you left a few zeros off? No dealer upgrade (or part for that matter) is EVER 2 digits.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. voon

voon Switzerland Active Member

I'm going for a new experiment myself on the Stinger, it's going to get CarPro's CQuartz UK 3.0. Should work fine, as both are Korean :p

Fusso went on the M135xi, where it works neat :) The importance to me is longevity. Putting on some sort of shine is doable by whatever product on the market, they all produce something you can do a show off foto with after being applied, especially since fotos rarely show the difference between the products. The thing for me is it has to last. So longevity tests are the only real stuff I prefer to read/watch, but they're hard to come by, as people rarely do followups with proper mentioning of kilometers drive, weatherr conditions etc to get a somehwat pseudoscientific outcome and repeatability.

There's a HUGE difference between the warm climate slike California or say Canada/Switzerland etc. Some Chemical Guys stuff has show to work quite okay in the warm, but over here, it's being avoided by many .. some of their hyped stuff (like Jetseal) just doesn't compete in harsher weather (which can be seen on a youtube channel called Xaron FR, but which is german) or have generally way better competitors.

Won't work. Ear "wax" is a water soluble substance :) The oily stuff is skin grease.

12. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

where are you getting the CQuartz 3.0 from? I know its out but very limited info on it so far. I checked all the Korean online sites selling Carpro stuff, but none has the 3.0 on sale.

I just ordered Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax, look forward to compare it to the Fusso. I know longivity is important for a wax/sealant, but I just like to wax my car every month or so (its like a therapy for me), so I never get to see how long each product really last. I'm gonna experiment layering the P21S carnauba wax on the Fusso tomorrow, wish me luck. lol.

funny you mention XaronFR channel, i just watched his video on Meg Wash Plus removing Fusso and Double speed and now looking to order the wash plus. :)

13. voon

@Euljiro1ga
    I asked a local swiss shop ( Fahrzeugpflege Shop ). He sells the normal CQuartz UK, so I sent him an email if he can also get me the 3.0? He said no problem and asked me to order the normal one in the shop, but he'll send me the 3.0. I shall see if and when I get it :) He said he has only the 30 ml Version, so I assume he has soemthing of it on stock? I hope I can get the entire Stinger covered with just 30ml, but I think it should work, as I recall using less than 20ml of a similar product back on 2013 for my smaller M135xi.

Bilt Hambers Speed Wax is a currently hyped product ... but it seems to work fine :p I'd order it, but I have way to many things at hime I didn't even open yet, before already ordering soemtehing else :)

And yes, Xarons is a bit of my go to channel on youtube ... he's not doing perfect tests all the time, but it gives me an idea.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  14. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

oh sweet. please share your experience. i am curious to see how they improved the ease of application. i might try that after my current coating approaches the end of its life. i've heard that a 30ml bottle CQUK can do 2 layers of a 440i grand coupe. I think you should have enough there.

i think i read it somewhere that the 3.0 version can also be used on plastic trims. have you heard about this also?

15. voon

@Euljiro1ga
    Sure :p Can't compare it to the older version as I never used it. As for trims: No idea ... but I've seen random coatings applied to plastic (even the "noname" Mr Fix from China) and they seem to work and in the case of Mr Fix, last.

16. Bosander

Bosander Belgium Newish Member

what about Cobalt 9h ceramic clear coat spray? any good?

17. voon

No idea, don't know it. It is difficult to say, where prices are too low and thus mean an inferior product and where they're totally overhyped meaning way to much for what you get. Usually, very cheap coatings use similar checmical components, but are less concentrated, thus lasting less long with just one layer and/or do not properly specify the checmicals inside etc. But it doesn't HAVE to. In the case of Cobalt, while it claims to be USA made (which means nothing in theory), it's marketing bits (the ad images) are a chaos of fonts etc and look lkike any cheap chinese clone to me. Which still doesn't mean it has to be bad. At 30 Dollars, you can just try it out I guess, the question will be longevity.

18. Bosander

@voon (your name reminds me of another Swiss guy I had the pleasure to encounter in the past) thank you for the answer. I've been doing some reading on detailing in the meantime and realise now that I really had no clue on how to proper maintain a car. As glasscoating (N-XTC coating) (to just name one thing) might take up between 1 to 3 days, I think I'll leave it up to the pro's - found some interesting body shops nearby with reasonable prices.

19. voon

Here's what has arrived today ... and what goes onto the Stinger once it's here :)

CQ3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bosander

this might interest you: comparative test with cq.uk

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted