Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Sunset Yellow Discussion

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Exterior Discussion' started by Kia Stinger, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Keith Ruff

Keith Ruff United States Member

Correction, "RK" Auto Group not "JK".

2. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

What's the KIA way?

3. jondyer

jondyer United States Active Member

*edited to remove anger*

The Kia way has to do with a specific primer, and a specific number of coats. Apparently (I am not a body shop guy, so I could be mis-remembering something I might have mis-heard - for all you lawyers out there) since yellow paint is one of the most transparent coatings, Kia likes to use a specific yellow primer.

Not sure why this primer is used, since I believe one of the bases is grey. Anyway, one of the main concerns that I have, that others had and apparently what some body shop people have is that once you respray the car, it becomes devilish to try and match the colours across the panels with a light coating of a thin(? - MY opinion only!) product. In order to make the "new" car look right, you need to at least spray some of the other surfaces.

Now, let's take my personal car as an example. I ran out and took these photos in the rain on a cloudy day, so it is not as obvious to you, but in the sun, it is quite evident to me.

You will see that the unpainted surfaces are quite a different shade than the darker, painted ones. This, I am told is due mostly to the thin layer of colour on the newly painted surface.

Mind you, it is dark and raining here (to fit my mood at the moment) and once the sun comes out, I will wander about snapping pictures to send off to proper paint guys to see what can be done about at least matching the panels on the car.

I realize that my "plight" is not as severe as some of the folks with the reds and blues out there that might think I am a whiny little bitch. However, they were not without a car they were paying for for two months while the body shop and Kia constantly lied then turned back a car that looks - in my opinion - worse than when I handed it over.

You should see it in the light with sun on it. Looks like a different colour is on the panels

Kia Side 2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  4. StungnTn

StungnTn United States Member

That's why I repainted the rest of my car. Sorry bud, the quicker you get it repainted the less of a color matching issue you will have.

5. jondyer

jondyer United States Active Member

I was told the check is in the mail... now I have to use it to fix my damn car. "Goodwill gesture" my a$$

6. Keith Ruff

Keith Ruff United States Member

How much did you pay to get the rest of the car painted? (Plastic pieces
    )

7. StungnTn

For two rockers, front and back bumper, and tailgate/deck lid it was $2000.88 with tax included.

8. StungnTn

Full disclosure, the paint match is not perfect, but it is way better. The new pieces are now slightly darker.

9. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

I just got my call from Morley. I have my appointment on the 15th to turn my yellow Stinger back in and collect my check. Of course they only have appointments from 10-4, so once again, have to take time off of work to get this done because we can't have convenient hours for the working class. You sure can buy one at 9 at night though, no problems with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. derek0609

derek0609 United States Member

All the replacement paperwork is submitted as well as the receipts for my A/S DWS tires and window tint. The case manager has begun the process of finding another comparable GT AWD. I won't take a white or micro blur car, just not my style. Wish me luck!

11. KiaofMuncie

KiaofMuncie United States Kia Dealership Stinger Dealer

2019?

12. derek0609

Not sure. This is what the letter says:

Option #1 - Replacement of your vehicle with a comparable new Kia Stinger (in any color other than Sunset Yellow) or other comparably priced Kia vehicle: We propose to accomplish this via either (a) a “substitution of collateral” transaction with your current lien holder if you have one or (b) a simple title transfer if you hold clear title to your vehicle. For a substitution of collateral, we would replace the current collateral on your lease with a mutually agreeable brand new Kia vehicle. All other terms and conditions of the underlying lease would remain the same. Of course, the accomplishment of this transaction would be contingent upon approval by your lien holder. For a title transfer, you would sign over the title to the current vehicle to KMA (Kia Motors America) and be provided clear title to the replacement vehicle. KMA (Kia Motors America) would pay the license and registration fees for the new vehicle. Should you decide to upgrade to a more expensive Kia vehicle, you would be responsible for the upgrade charge and the sales tax associated with the upgrade.

13. KiaofMuncie

Hmmmm. Seems like i would ask what the up-charge on a 19 would be. Or at least if you want a certain color combo to request they look for it. I would have to think what you want is what you will get to keep the peace.

14. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Good luck should you choose to take this mission. This thread will self destruct in 30 seconds.....:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. derek0609

I'll she what she comes to the table with and go from there. Got any GT AWDs in stock at your store? I'll be passing by you tomorrow on my way to Columbus for my National Guard weekend.

16. KiaofMuncie

Yes Sir. 19s just hit today.

17. derek0609

Are they on the store website? My case manager send I could send vin #s of any cars I found and like.

18. Andimal

Andimal United States Member

How long as it been taking for the Kia reps to show up and approve the repaint once completed? Saw the car Friday, and wondering if it's gonna be a quick process or a couple weeks...

19. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Eagerly awaiting update sir...hope all goes smoothly. I am waiting to turn my letter back in pending your review of this final step!

20. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

OK, we are almost done. The car has been returned and is sitting at the dealer now. It was pretty painless and took a total of about 30 minutes. Would have probably gone faster if we had a more competent representative from Morley, but she was very nice. Had about 5 forms to fill out. One was the agreement paper, another was the odometer statement. One was the paper(not a check) allowing them access to pay off the loan. The last was the POA to let them register the car back to Kia. That was all signed after the inspection. She just walked around the car looking for damage, checked the wheels for tread depth, inside for any interior damage and then got both keys and checked that the owners manual was there. Took pics of all sides of the car, and interior and owners manual with key fobs. After all was done, she handed me my check and have a good day. She had a fedex envelope and said she will fedex it back to Kia and then they get the ball rolling from there. I will let you know when the loan is paid off. She didn't know how long that would take. I hope it's within 8 days so I can cancel the bill pay through my bank before my due date.

Draft saved Draft deleted