RIP my Stinger

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
Echoing another member's thoughts on bikes and why I've never owned one...

I had an acquaintance (mid 20s, very active basketball player) get into an accident on his bike. Not his fault, car just pulled right in front of him. He was expecting a huge settlement/judgment. He went from slam dunking to wheelchair, and after a few months of this rolled himself to a small local bridge and pulled himself over the edge into the drink. Stories like this come up from time to time regarding motorcycle accidents. With the inattentiveness of drivers ever increasing (this was 20 years ago) I can't see ever feeling safe or that I wouldn't die at any second when there's other cars on the road. IMHO, people who value their life don't introduce any incalculable risk into it. Statistically, motorcycle fatalities are common when there is an accident when compared to same type of accident in a 4 wheel vehicle. There's no cage around a biker, no air bags. The helmet only helps at low speed impacts. No thanks.

Queue JSolo in 3... 2... 1...
very sad honestly. everything really depends on someone else ability to drive which is the scary part. i know a good amount of guys that have never been in a accident will riding. i don't feel like other people bad story's should deter me from getting a bike tho honestly. people crash in cars and still buy cars. i know its not a good comparison safety wise but being scared to live also doesn't sound the best. this could also be my lack of knowledge talking tho lol. everyone's luck is different so all i can do is try to be as safe and vigilant as possible.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
very sad honestly. everything really depends on someone else ability to drive which is the scary part. i know a good amount of guys that have never been in a accident will riding. i don't feel like other people bad story's should deter me from getting a bike tho honestly. people crash in cars and still buy cars. i know its not a good comparison safety wise but being scared to live also doesn't sound the best. this could also be my lack of knowledge talking tho lol. everyone's luck is different so all i can do is try to be as safe and vigilant as possible.
You don't need a motorcycle to "live", or to get from A to B. The choice* should be made armed with as much information as possible. That was the spirit of my post, and if it doesn't help you maybe it will help a random reader 3 months from now that stumbles on this thread. It's not the first, and won't be the last time, I share their story. I feel it's the least I can do in their memory.

He loved riding and like you felt it was a 'safe enough' activity, until it wasn't. The level of regret in choosing that mode of transport ate him up on the inside. He openly said he would have chosen a different path if given the choice. The cost/benefit became painfully clear to him too late.

Anecdotal evidence (the fact your friends haven't had any issues yet) is just that. Statistically, it's a substantial increase in risk. Just because they haven't had any issues, doesn't mean they won't. Past performance does not guarantee future results. Jay-walkers always end up getting hit on a long enough timeline, to use an old metaphor.

I'm an open advocate against riding in America. Too many bad drivers, and now many of them are also distracted. In other countries, were motorcycles/scooters are super common (and often outnumber 4 wheel vehicles in the cities) it's less of an issue since people start from day one being super aware and skilled at navigating their surroundings. Majority of Americans are dumb and lazy, and distracted. And based on how Covid unfolded, could give a f%^@ if you live or die, so long as they can go to a movie theater.

* You are in the position to CHOOSE your mode of transport.

Last edited:

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
@cnc & stoopid, there are those of us who are adrenaline junkies. People ride bikes for the same reason others skydive or race cars. Is it safe, not particularly, but it def gets the heart going. For me it was always about the corners. Straight line riding put me to sleep.

I started riding at 21. My riding career lasted just under 20 years. Over those I had 4 or 5 bikes and covered close to 300K miles across much of the midwest and south east. In 2 weeks it will be a decade since I stopped riding. Not because I couldn't or got hurt (side note, there was that idiot grandpa who punted me into the roadway because he didn't see me. I was at a complete stop), but rather because I got tired of all the blind drivers, boring roads, etc. It's a day's travel to get to anywhere decent, so 2 days wasted, one day of riding. Not worth it.

Being middle aged (there I said it!), energy levels aren't what they used to be. The comfort of AC on a 90F+ day just outweighs the thrills I used to get from a bike. I do hope to some day move to a more bike (mcy) friendly area where I only need to travel short distance to get to a canyon or mountain road. Still have my M endorsement and will keep it.

So, if the OP is level headed and has learned from this experience, by all means get the bike if that's what you want to do. If it turns out to not be your thing, sell it in a year. I will say, after years of riding, one does develop a sort of 6th sense about their surroundings and can identify (to some degree) when another drive doesn't see them. Of course, shit can happen at any time regardless how careful you are. It's not a matter of if, but when you'll have a crash. I had 2. First one my fault 2nd year of riding with a group way out of my skill level. The other 1 or 2 years before I stopped riding while test riding a bike I was considering. Walked away from both with minor injuries and damage.

Btw, a cruiser and a sport (even sport touring) bike handle much differently. For me it's strange to have my feet in front when riding. Either directly below or slightly back (sport touring bikes).

DonD

Glad no serious injuries.

I wonder about the DUI. I'm no expert on the subject, I never drink more than 1, 12oz beer at a dinner and seldom even do that. At 180# it takes 5 beers in an hour to reach 0.08 BAC.

So what kind of beers were you drinking, large mugs of higher alcohol content than usual? Don

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
Glad no serious injuries.

I wonder about the DUI. I'm no expert on the subject, I never drink more than 1, 12oz beer at a dinner and seldom even do that. At 180# it takes 5 beers in an hour to reach 0.08 BAC.

So what kind of beers were you drinking, large mugs of higher alcohol content than usual? Don
Two glass modelo bottles. not sure of the oz but normal beer bottles.

@cnc & stoopid, there are those of us who are adrenaline junkies. People ride bikes for the same reason others skydive or race cars. Is it safe, not particularly, but it def gets the heart going. For me it was always about the corners. Straight line riding put me to sleep.

I started riding at 21. My riding career lasted just under 20 years. Over those I had 4 or 5 bikes and covered close to 300K miles across much of the midwest and south east. In 2 weeks it will be a decade since I stopped riding. Not because I couldn't or got hurt (side note, there was that idiot grandpa who punted me into the roadway because he didn't see me. I was at a complete stop), but rather because I got tired of all the blind drivers, boring roads, etc. It's a day's travel to get to anywhere decent, so 2 days wasted, one day of riding. Not worth it.

Being middle aged (there I said it!), energy levels aren't what they used to be. The comfort of AC on a 90F+ day just outweighs the thrills I used to get from a bike. I do hope to some day move to a more bike (mcy) friendly area where I only need to travel short distance to get to a canyon or mountain road. Still have my M endorsement and will keep it.

So, if the OP is level headed and has learned from this experience, by all means get the bike if that's what you want to do. If it turns out to not be your thing, sell it in a year. I will say, after years of riding, one does develop a sort of 6th sense about their surroundings and can identify (to some degree) when another drive doesn't see them. Of course, shit can happen at any time regardless how careful you are. It's not a matter of if, but when you'll have a crash. I had 2. First one my fault 2nd year of riding with a group way out of my skill level. The other 1 or 2 years before I stopped riding while test riding a bike I was considering. Walked away from both with minor injuries and damage.

Btw, a cruiser and a sport (even sport touring) bike handle much differently. For me it's strange to have my feet in front when riding. Either directly below or slightly back (sport touring bikes).
yeah my coworker said spot and cruisers are a whole different ball game.

Br3Free

Stinger Enthusiast
I hope you take the lesson out of this and keep it with you forever as I have did. With that in mind for all the ppl speaking down on him your life is not perfect either. Whether ppl want to admit it or not everyone is going through some type of struggle . We are all human and make mistakes especially being young as I can speak for myself with handful of mistakes including a dui in the past over ten years ago. Don’t beat yourself up. Reflect, and take the lesson from this situation and keep on with your life. God bless

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
asked my coworker what he thinks about the r3 and ninja 400. dude said "why do you keep going down on hp you p*ssy" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: a**hole i swear.

I hope you take the lesson out of this and keep it with you forever as I have did. With that in mind for all the ppl speaking down on him your life is not perfect either. Whether ppl want to admit it or not everyone is going through some type of struggle . We are all human and make mistakes especially being young as I can speak for myself with handful of mistakes including a dui in the past over ten years ago. Don’t beat yourself up. Reflect, and take the lesson from this situation and keep on with your life. God bless
hindsight's a bitch honestly. I 100% learned something from this crash honestly. I don't want this to happen again and I definitely do not want to get booked again! sleeping on a concrete bench definitely pounds some lessons into your mind a bit differently lol.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
i might go for this r3. the color and everything just looks so good!

Br3Free

Stinger Enthusiast
asked my coworker what he thinks about the r3 and ninja 400. dude said "why do you keep going down on hp you p*ssy" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: a**hole i swear.

hindsight's a bitch honestly. I 100% learned something from this crash honestly. I don't want this to happen again and I definitely do not want to get booked again! sleeping on a concrete bench definitely pounds some lessons into your mind a bit differently lol.
Sometimes that’s what it takes to get the lesson out of the situation. I have faith you will be back on your feet and reflecting about this years from now still holding onto that lesson learned as you grow. Don’t let these negative comments continue to put you down. Pick yourself up and thank God you still are alive to see another day. It’s always another car but not another you. Keep your head up.

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
People's Republic Of IL
If you look closely, the wheels are spoked. This bike is not for corner carving but more so offroad use. I don't have a pic handy but his driveway is 1/8 or 1/16mi long, gravel/dirt. Those tires will prob be going soon too for something more offroad friendly. I expect a top trunk soon too.

Attachments

• a10fca12d9e75529a8e6f9e446976cd22701cfedb-1.jpg
    a10fca12d9e75529a8e6f9e446976cd22701cfedb-1.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 3

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
Question for yall.

insurance is finishing up. I'm getting 31k
i have some stock parts and don't know if its worth selling or for how much. air intakes, bov and then jb4 and accesoride key turn on thing. any recommendations on price or if i can sell the stock parts?

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
Sometimes that’s what it takes to get the lesson out of the situation. I have faith you will be back on your feet and reflecting about this years from now still holding onto that lesson learned as you grow. Don’t let these negative comments continue to put you down. Pick yourself up and thank God you still are alive to see another day. It’s always another car but not another you. Keep your head up.
big facts! losing the stinger sucks alot but i def enjoyed the hell out of that car! will have another in the future! still young! just need to learn more.

SIMONGUEY

Stinger Enthusiast
hayward ca
i need to look for a quick beater car to get since i need to turn in the rental now. not sure what to look for.

rpoffen

1000 Posts Club!
California
Question for yall.

insurance is finishing up. I'm getting 31k
i have some stock parts and don't know if its worth selling or for how much. air intakes, bov and then jb4 and accesoride key turn on thing. any recommendations on price or if i can sell the stock parts?
Search the classifieds section in this forum to get an idea of what others were asking for same/similar stuff.

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
I don't suppose you have the BMS strut bars for sale? I guess they probably got bent a little / couldn't take 'em off?

The way I would look at this is - imagine that accident (falling asleep) on a bike. Would you still be here? Get a car, take it to the track - lots of adrenaline there. I've been to Laguna and Sonoma. I actually feel SAFER at the track than driving to/from work (East Bay to Moffet Field area). SO many ***holes on the road these days. People doing donuts in residential neighborhoods 100 feet from elementary schools. There is ZERO excuse to drive recklessly in a school zone.