Manual Transmission Poll

Which do you prefer?

• Manual

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • Automatic

Votes: 45 32.6%
  • Automatic (but I use the paddle or sport shifters)

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters

Crisis

Saskatoon, SK
I double checked and my gt2 still goes to D when I stop, even in sport mode. I just got the car last Thursday, but it was on the dealer lot for a few months. Hopefully they do issue a fix for it and my dealer updates it at some point.
That would be great if they issued something like that, but I've been paddle shifting mine so long that it's now pretty much a habit to pull the downshift paddle every time I shift into gear when starting the car (after selecting Custom drive mode, of course) and then every time the car comes to a full stop. Still a bit of a pain and it would be great if it didn't revert to "D" when it stops.

As for the original question, I need an Option 4: "I prefer manual, but am forced to live with paddle-shifting an automatic because my wife won't drive a manual."

eflyguy

2500 Posts Club!
Georgia, USA
I've been driving my daughters Challenger a little lately, which has paddle shift. I think the default shift-back-to-drive is a good idea, of course, this is just my opinion - if you're using it "around town" and in traffic, you are going to forget you are in "manual" at some point. With my Sorento, once it's physically moved over to "sport", it can't go back to D and so I've found myself racing along in 1st or 2nd without realizing it.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
... once it's physically moved over to "sport", it can't go back to D ...
WTH!? Is that just the stupidest thing I have ever heard of? Why would anyone design a transmission like that? It must be a racecentric thing.

RobW77

Glenside PA
When I first got this car 2.5 months ago, I would have bought a manual if they had it. Now I am not sure. 80% of the time driving, I am happy for the automatic. It probably is a result of mostly driving in traffic dense areas. If I was mostly driving without a lot of traffic with some nice, twisty roads, I'd rather have the manual.
Before this one, I've only had manual cars since 2001. I think it is a testament to how good automatic transmissions have become for me to change my mind like that.

forzanerazzurri

Prefer manuals overall in sports and track cars (my M3 is manual). The Stinger is neither of those and I prefer it with the auto.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
As expressed already, I prefer to drive with a manual. But traveling is definitely more comfortable with an automatic. And the paddle shifters and manual gate are almost as engaging as using a stick and clutch.

twig2121

I still have my MT WRX, but I do enjoy the stinger as-is. The trans, paddles and safety/driver assist features all work well.

So few can drive MTs these days that it is an effective theft deterrent.

Crisis

Saskatoon, SK
I've been driving my daughters Challenger a little lately, which has paddle shift. I think the default shift-back-to-drive is a good idea, of course, this is just my opinion - if you're using it "around town" and in traffic, you are going to forget you are in "manual" at some point. With my Sorento, once it's physically moved over to "sport", it can't go back to D and so I've found myself racing along in 1st or 2nd without realizing it.
WTH!? Is that just the stupidest thing I have ever heard of? Why would anyone design a transmission like that? It must be a racecentric thing.
I drove a Sonata for 4 years, paddle shifting it almost all the time. To shift from manual mode to D, I just had to push the shifter to the side (opposite motion from selecting manual mode) and it would immediately revert to D. Would the Sorento not do the same?

Just moving slightly off thread ...
Most of the time I want auto, particularly on long drives and stop / start traffic.
But occasionally I want manual.
So why not get rid of the paddles (which I find difficult to go my head around) and fit a 4 speed manual instead with a proper H gate.
For fast driving perfect.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
Just moving slightly off thread ...
Most of the time I want auto, particularly on long drives and stop / start traffic.
But occasionally I want manual.
So why not get rid of the paddles (which I find difficult to go my head around) and fit a 4 speed manual instead with a proper H gate.
For fast driving perfect.
4 speed.....? that’s old school, give it an 8 speed sequential shift.

4 speed.....? that’s old school, give it an 8 speed sequential shift.
Funny thing is, as I get older I prefer analogue / mechanical to digital / electronic. Something great about big steps between gears.
Rev the bollocks out of the engine on upshift, use the down shift to brake. Yeah, sign me up to the Old School!

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
Funny thing is, as I get older I prefer analogue / mechanical to digital / electronic. Something great about big steps between gears.
Rev the bollocks out of the engine on upshift, use the down shift to brake. Yeah, sign me up to the Old School!
I understand what you are saying but you can do the same with sequential only quicker.
Watch attached clip & tell me that wouldn’t give you a buzz.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
OK, agree with you on that but neither our local roads or my driving skills would match!
I understand, my driving skills either, by the way the track in that video is actually a public road in the country 2.5hrs from me.

Ozstung

Sustaining Member
Western Sydney.
I understand, my driving skills either, by the way the track in that video is actually a public road in the country 2.5hrs from me.
20180714_123024.jpg
And here is the day the Stingers visited in force:D 20180714_123024.jpg

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I drove a Sonata for 4 years, paddle shifting it almost all the time. To shift from manual mode to D, I just had to push the shifter to the side (opposite motion from selecting manual mode) and it would immediately revert to D. Would the Sorento not do the same?
That's call the "manual gate" in the Stinger manual. :D And in my GT1 it works exactly the same: push the shifter to the left to get into manual gate, push it back to the right to get back into "D". (It only took me c. two months to "discover" this feature! :rolleyes:)

G

Guest-629854

I'm just curious about who would have gotten their Stinger in a 6-speed manual transmission if it was offered. I'm assuming there would be no cost difference and everything else was the same, except for options that are not possible to use with manual (for example stop-start cruise control and remote start).

I also added in an option to select that you use the paddle shifters or the sport shifting.

For me personally, I love driving a manual, because it feels like I am actually doing more than just mashing a pedal. I've had a manual transmission in all of my cars; I even special ordered my last car (Ford Fusion) with a manual. But it's getting harder and harder to find cars offered with a stick. I may have to give that up if I end up getting the Stinger.
European manuals have start stop, cruise and remote start. The start stop is actually BETTER in a manual because it starts the car when you push in the clutch rather than waiting for you to let off the brake.

antne

Carroll County, MD
My handle is where I live. Traffic is generally not bad here. I've driven a manual in Chicago, and I agree, having to do that regularly would probably make me want an automatic. My clutch foot gets cramps in Chicago.

Faster and more fuel efficient. But less fun
Amy review I read where a car is available with either a manual or a DCT/DSG shows the automanual to be quicker.

Manaz

1000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Indy, Put in where you live and please. I live in a crazy city. Stop in go, It took me a few cars to learn that it STUNK doing it after long time.
I live in Sydney, and people here use the traffic as an excuse not to drive a manual all the time.

Yet I've driven a number of manuals herr as daily drives, and never had an issue with doing so. The STI in my signature still gets driven in traffic periodically, and I have no issue with it, and it doesn't exactly have the most forgiving clutch setup given it's a track car.

Where it may get interesting with the Stinger is how heavy the clutch would be in order to cope with the torque output. You'd also need to consider the gearbox itself - I've driven some absolute shitter gearboxes in my time, and I'd rather almost any automatic over a bad manual gearbox.