Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Manual Transmission Poll

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Indy499, Jul 23, 2018.

Which do you prefer?

1. Manual

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Automatic

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Automatic (but I use the paddle or sport shifters)

24 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Crisis

Crisis Canada Member

That would be great if they issued something like that, but I've been paddle shifting mine so long that it's now pretty much a habit to pull the downshift paddle every time I shift into gear when starting the car (after selecting Custom drive mode, of course) and then every time the car comes to a full stop. Still a bit of a pain and it would be great if it didn't revert to "D" when it stops.

As for the original question, I need an Option 4: "I prefer manual, but am forced to live with paddle-shifting an automatic because my wife won't drive a manual."

2. WildBill

WildBill United States Active Member

3. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I've been driving my daughters Challenger a little lately, which has paddle shift. I think the default shift-back-to-drive is a good idea, of course, this is just my opinion - if you're using it "around town" and in traffic, you are going to forget you are in "manual" at some point. With my Sorento, once it's physically moved over to "sport", it can't go back to D and so I've found myself racing along in 1st or 2nd without realizing it.

4. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

WTH!? Is that just the stupidest thing I have ever heard of? Why would anyone design a transmission like that? It must be a racecentric thing.

5. RobW77

RobW77 United States Newish Member

When I first got this car 2.5 months ago, I would have bought a manual if they had it. Now I am not sure. 80% of the time driving, I am happy for the automatic. It probably is a result of mostly driving in traffic dense areas. If I was mostly driving without a lot of traffic with some nice, twisty roads, I'd rather have the manual.
    Before this one, I've only had manual cars since 2001. I think it is a testament to how good automatic transmissions have become for me to change my mind like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. forzanerazzurri

forzanerazzurri Canada Active Member

Prefer manuals overall in sports and track cars (my M3 is manual). The Stinger is neither of those and I prefer it with the auto.

7. MerlintheMad

As expressed already, I prefer to drive with a manual. But traveling is definitely more comfortable with an automatic. And the paddle shifters and manual gate are almost as engaging as using a stick and clutch.

8. twig2121

twig2121 United States Member

I still have my MT WRX, but I do enjoy the stinger as-is. The trans, paddles and safety/driver assist features all work well.

So few can drive MTs these days that it is an effective theft deterrent.

9. Crisis

Crisis Canada Member

I drove a Sonata for 4 years, paddle shifting it almost all the time. To shift from manual mode to D, I just had to push the shifter to the side (opposite motion from selecting manual mode) and it would immediately revert to D. Would the Sorento not do the same?

10. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Spain Member

Just moving slightly off thread ...
    Most of the time I want auto, particularly on long drives and stop / start traffic.
    But occasionally I want manual.
    So why not get rid of the paddles (which I find difficult to go my head around) and fit a 4 speed manual instead with a proper H gate.
    For fast driving perfect.

11. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

4 speed.....? that’s old school, give it an 8 speed sequential shift.

12. Dick Dastardly

Funny thing is, as I get older I prefer analogue / mechanical to digital / electronic. Something great about big steps between gears.
    Rev the bollocks out of the engine on upshift, use the down shift to brake. Yeah, sign me up to the Old School!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stinger GT SS

I understand what you are saying but you can do the same with sequential only quicker.
    Watch attached clip & tell me that wouldn’t give you a buzz.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dick Dastardly

OK, agree with you on that but neither our local roads or my driving skills would match!

15. Stinger GT SS

I understand, my driving skills either, by the way the track in that video is actually a public road in the country 2.5hrs from me.

16. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

20180714_123024.jpg
    And here is the day the Stingers visited in force:D 20180714_123024.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. MerlintheMad

That's call the "manual gate" in the Stinger manual. :D And in my GT1 it works exactly the same: push the shifter to the left to get into manual gate, push it back to the right to get back into "D". (It only took me c. two months to "discover" this feature! :rolleyes:)

Draft saved Draft deleted