Manual Transmission Poll

Which do you prefer?

• Manual

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • Automatic

Votes: 45 32.6%
  • Automatic (but I use the paddle or sport shifters)

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters

Indy499

I'm just curious about who would have gotten their Stinger in a 6-speed manual transmission if it was offered. I'm assuming there would be no cost difference and everything else was the same, except for options that are not possible to use with manual (for example stop-start cruise control and remote start).

I also added in an option to select that you use the paddle shifters or the sport shifting.

For me personally, I love driving a manual, because it feels like I am actually doing more than just mashing a pedal. I've had a manual transmission in all of my cars; I even special ordered my last car (Ford Fusion) with a manual. But it's getting harder and harder to find cars offered with a stick. I may have to give that up if I end up getting the Stinger.

Indy499

I keep hearing that no one wants to drive a stickshift anymore, and I thought that can't possibly be true. This poll is confirming my ignorance though, because I am literally the only one on here (so far) who wants a stickshift

I can't drive stick, and would hate to learn in my own car. ;)
I first drove a manual test driving a car in high school. I stalled it out on a hill about 10 times in a row, and I had to get out and have my dad take over. I bought the car and learned how to drive a stick within a week so I could show off that Dodge Stealth at school!

Indy499

Indy, Put in where you live and please. I live in a crazy city. Stop in go, It took me a few cars to learn that it STUNK doing it after long time.
My handle is where I live. Traffic is generally not bad here. I've driven a manual in Chicago, and I agree, having to do that regularly would probably make me want an automatic. My clutch foot gets cramps in Chicago.

I still love driving a manual and I think I would prefer the Stinger to be a manual, but there is no question automatics these days are faster. It's a tough choice.
Faster and more fuel efficient. But less fun

BlaydeX15

Roosevelt UT
I keep hearing that no one wants to drive a stickshift anymore, and I thought that can't possibly be true. This poll is confirming my ignorance though, because I am literally the only one on here (so far) who wants a stickshift

I first drove a manual test driving a car in high school. I stalled it out on a hill about 10 times in a row, and I had to get out and have my dad take over. I bought the car and learned how to drive a stick within a week so I could show off that Dodge Stealth at school!
My parents tried to teach me in their 85 Nissan truck, but I was an easily frustrated teen. Lol. I gave up after a few trips. Would probably be better at it now, but no manuals around to practice with.

WildBill

Stinger Enthusiast
Central NY
I agree with the OP, Last car was a '10 Legacy GT with 6-speed. Loved that car, it was the perfect size for the family and fun to boot.
I honestly think I enjoyed driving that car more than the stinger, not because it was faster (hell no), but because it was more engaging to drive.

I have the luxury of driving open country / hilly roads every day. I only have a few stoplights to deal with on my daily commute so a MT is actually really enjoyable. I wanted another MT but they are not out there. AT is now faster and more fuel efficient. It's hard to argue with the reasoning of their demise.

I still have a '78 Chevy dump truck and a '09 Outback when I need some stick time, but neither of them are barn burners, that's for sure :(

threeunderpar

Newish Member
Daily driver........an automatic is a better fit especially if the commute is stop and go. Otherwise in a fast car a manual is a lot more fun to me. I learned to drive on a stick and had them for years so it's just second nature to me.

Silverghost

In england I learnt to drive manual.
My first car was an MGB Roadster manual with an overdrive (kind of a 5th gear option).
As a youth, I enjoyed the manual cars because, with the right car, you were able to tap the accelerator pedal in neutral or with the clutch depressed and be ready to floor it when the lights turned green.
If my stinger had a great exhaust note, I would really want to blip that, and drop the clutch on green.
What a thrill that would be in launch mode.
Wooooohooooooo

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I've had MT in many of my cars and enjoy driving with one. The Stinger is different. It seems natural to have the AT and also the paddle shifters/manual gate. I would like to try a Stinger that had a clutch, though, just to see the difference. I might change my mind about preferring an AT, but I doubt it.

DCBStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
Melbourne
I have always owned Automatic transmission cars, but when i met my wife, she owned a manual Mitsubishi Sigma, so i learned, but happy with Automatic transmission.

Magnus

Newish Member
I would have kept my old Evo X GSR if I wanted to keep daily driving a manual. Honestly don't really miss a manual this time around. The automatic in the Stinger is really impressive to me. Almost as fast and responsive as the Getrag DCT in the Evo X MR and Lancer Ralliart in manual mode but much smoother in automatic.

When the 6 speed G70 start hitting the used market in a few years, I may pick one up as a second car.

SteveCo

1000 Posts Club!
Calgary, AB
My intention for my next car was a 2 door coupe with a manual transmission, but the Stinger won me over. Pretty much all of my cars have been manuals prior to this one, and the other two vehicles still have standard trans. If the Stinger had been available with a 6 speed, I would have bought that version - and recognize I'd be in a very small minority.

Never got the complaint about driving a manual transmission in city traffic, though I could see it being an issue for someone not used to driving one. After driving them for a while, it just becomes second nature and a 'muscle memory' driving reflex. My arms never got tired from steering, and my leg never complained about clutching ... o_O

If anything, my legs get restless on a long drive to be doing something, instead of just lying there - shifting gears is a welcome change. :thumbup:

Ixion

Newish Member
I'm just curious about who would have gotten their Stinger in a 6-speed manual transmission if it was offered. I'm assuming there would be no cost difference and everything else was the same, except for options that are not possible to use with manual (for example stop-start cruise control and remote start).
Always had manual but driving across LA too often made it an easy choice. Would have preferred a DCT but more important was the basic platform of the car. Modern automatics are very good but still not as direct as a manual, but you have the paddles.

Jingguily

Newish Member
Last 2 cars were manual. Tbh at this point I was really enjoying the stick drive maybe 1/4 of the time, the rest of the time it's just annoying or boring. I may miss that feeling from time to time but overall I'm still happier with the automatic with paddles.