Manual Transmission Poll

Which do you prefer?

• Manual

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • Automatic

Votes: 45 32.6%
  • Automatic (but I use the paddle or sport shifters)

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters

taichizi

If I could have 2 cars at the same time, I would choose one manual and one automatic with peddle shift.

The manual one is purely a “toy” car that I would drive over the weekend without the traffic jam.

The auto with peddle shift is for everyday driving in a city and Long distance cruising.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
If I could have 2 cars at the same time, I would choose one manual and one automatic with peddle* shift.

The manual one is purely a “toy” car that I would drive over the weekend without the traffic jam.

The auto with peddle* shift is for everyday driving in a city and Long distance cruising.
*Paddle.

And I agree, that is sensible use of a manual trans anymore these days: as an eccentric or enthusiast's toy.

RobW77

Glenside PA
I am a bit torn here. I've been driving a manual since my 2001 Impreza RS. It certainly makes the driving more engaging. I loved going around a corner, heel-toeing the brake & throttle to rev match and taking off. But the automatic have come a long way since my last automatic and the features like radar cruise control are pretty sweet. I probably would have bought a manual Stinger if it was available, but I am not too disappointed with the automatic. I only wish that it didn't default to "D" when you stop. I guess I'll have to save up for a used manual Porsche Cayman to get my fix.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
@RobW77 The GT1 has the "manual gate" feature. I think that "drive by wire" duplicates this in some fashion (if you have the GT2). When you plunk it into manual gate it never goes out of manual. (I did a road trip from UT to TX and back and never discovered this; and I was using the paddle shifters all the way; only two or three weeks later did I read about it in the manual and was saying "what the heck? my car doesn't have that, does it? It does. :D). I get so used to using both that when I use manual gate sometimes I forget and get high revs before being reminded that I must do the shifting myself. This produced a singular occasion where the "nanny override" saved my engine from myself: I was using Launch Control for the first time on an empty Oregon highway; hit it and took the first gear revs all the way up to red line, at which point the nanny kicked in and overrode the manual gate and started shifting for me. Heh! Thank Kia for that! Anyway, manual gate is a lot of fun, because, sans clutch pedal, it is just like having a manual transmission. You can even not use the paddle shifters and simply drive one-handed while shifting up by bumping the shifter forward, or shifting down by pulling the shifter toward you.

Last edited:

WildBill

Stinger Enthusiast
Central NY
@RobW77 The GT1 has the "manual gate" feature.
@RobW77 Anyway, manual gate is a lot of fun, because, sans clutch pedal, it is just like having a manual transmission. You can even not use the paddle shifters and simply drive one-handed while shifting up by bumping the shifter forward, or shifting down by pulling the shifter toward you.
I wish the GT2 worked this way. Seems ridiculous that it does not.
You can't manually shift by pushing the shifter forward and back, you can only use the paddle shifters.

Mr Skillet

I live and work in the traffic ridden socal area. I love the third pedal and use to think I'll only drive 3 pedal cars, I have had a na1 nsx, 3G TL, 95 240sx. However, the broad torque curve of the v6 is pretty well matched with the auto. That said, if they actually offered a manual, I'd have taken it in a heart beat.

RobW77

Glenside PA
@RobW77 The GT1 has the "manual gate" feature. I think that "drive by wire" duplicates this in some fashion (if you have the GT2). When you plunk it into manual gate it never goes out of manual. (I did a road trip from UT to TX and back and never discovered this; and I was using the paddle shifters all the way; only two or three weeks later did I read about it in the manual and was saying "what the heck? my car doesn't have that, does it? It does. :D). I get so used to using both that when I use manual gate sometimes I forget and get high revs before being reminded that I must do the shifting myself. This produced a singular occasion where the "nanny override" saved my engine from myself: I was using Launch Control for the first time on an empty Oregon highway; hit it and took the first gear revs all the way up to red line, at which point the nanny kicked in and overrode the manual gate and started shifting for me. Heh! Thank Kia for that! Anyway, manual gate is a lot of fun, because, sans clutch pedal, it is just like having a manual transmission. You can even not use the paddle shifters and simply drive one-handed while shifting up by bumping the shifter forward, or shifting down by pulling the shifter toward you.
Yeah, as Wild Bill said, the GT2 doesn't work that way. There is no gated mode. Actually, I wouldn't mind just using the flappy paddles if the damn thing stayed in a gear once you stop. I just have to get used to pressing the paddle to go into "1" instead of "D" every time I stop.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I wish the GT2 worked this way. Seems ridiculous that it does not.
You can't manually shift by pushing the shifter forward and back, you can only use the paddle shifters.
I didn't know that! Well, I agree, the GT2 should be ALL that the lower trims are, and more. I'd be seriously bummed if I couldn't use my manual gate from now on.

Does the GT2 have the "stay in manual" capacity though? Because that is the feature I was addressing: manual gate, a la GT1, is just an added feature. @RobW77 wants to have his car not default to "D" when he comes to a stop.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Yeah, as Wild Bill said, the GT2 doesn't work that way. There is no gated mode. Actually, I wouldn't mind just using the flappy paddles if the damn thing stayed in a gear once you stop. I just have to get used to pressing the paddle to go into "1" instead of "D" every time I stop.
Well, as I said, I got used to that. It's okay. But I do like not having to do that.

Flappy Focus

It depends on your drive mode whether it goes back to D when you stop. I've noticed that it goes back D when you are in the default Comfort mode. When switching it over to Sport mode, it goes to (gear) 1 instead when you stop.

WildBill

Stinger Enthusiast
Central NY
It depends on your drive mode whether it goes back to D when you stop. I've noticed that it goes back D when you are in the default Comfort mode. When switching it over to Sport mode, it goes to (gear) 1 instead when you stop.
Even in sport mode mine goes back to D when I stop.
Somewhere I thought I read that there was a system update that fixed that and that was one of the tests to see if your GT2 had the update. I could have been dreaming or misinterpreting something though.

Flappy Focus

Somewhere I thought I read that there was a system update that fixed that and that was one of the tests to see if your GT2 had the update.
Hm, I could see how that would be possible. Maybe some of the older build date Stingers act different/don't have this behavior unless they are updated.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Interesting. So in Sport with a GT2, it's supposed to take the place of what the manual gate does in the GT1, if I understand you correctly: the "D" stays off while you are in Sport, once you have selected to use the paddle shifters? If that's so, how do you go back to AT, select Comfort and then twist back to Sport?

RobW77

Glenside PA
Hm, I could see how that would be possible. Maybe some of the older build date Stingers act different/don't have this behavior unless they are updated.
I double checked and my gt2 still goes to D when I stop, even in sport mode. I just got the car last Thursday, but it was on the dealer lot for a few months. Hopefully they do issue a fix for it and my dealer updates it at some point.

WildBill

Stinger Enthusiast
Central NY
Interesting. So in Sport with a GT2, it's supposed to take the place of what the manual gate does in the GT1, if I understand you correctly: the "D" stays off while you are in Sport, once you have selected to use the paddle shifters? If that's so, how do you go back to AT, select Comfort and then twist back to Sport?
Sorry, I took shortcuts in my explanation. No Sport mode in the GT2 is automatic when you turn it on just like the other models. When you hit a paddle shifter it will enter manual mode. In my car when I come to a stop it will go back into Drive / Automatic mode.

Last edited:

Flappy Focus

(FYI, my experience is on the Stinger 2.0T Premium)
The quick way to put it back into D was to hold the upshift paddle for ~3 seconds. But yeah, changing the mode to Comfort and back to Sport would probably do it.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
@Flappy Focus Thanks I did not know that trick with the paddle shifter. I won't use it, but it's fun to know there are options.