1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger Navigation Map Update

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Chapindad, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

You won't be the only one :(

It will take time, but all of us here have to be prepared to go to the wall with KIA customer service. What we needed in v13 for 2018 cars was:
    • Fix the USB music search fiasco where unless Album is used the songs sort in alphabetical order instead of the proper song order from the album
    • Move the fake engine sound option out of Custom and into the regular menu (as with 2019s)
    • Enhance the Bluetooth txt features so they are equivalent to what other cars had last year or the year before instead of what we have now, which is from 5+ years ago
    • Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play so we aren't occupying the USB port (or needing to use USB if we already have wireless charging)
    • ...people please fill-in any other important items so we can ALL ask for them in a show of support
    What was delivered:
    • None of the items from above that were needed
    • Removal of the Google Search via wi-fi (telematics cars have it via the cell service--thank goodness since it is the only search that actually works properly)
    • Removal of one of the USB music search items (not confirmed yet, but those who have the "update" please investigate )
    • Maps that are still (inevitably) out-of-date, especially the speed limit info that drives the speed limit display function in the car--effectively useless because the data is so unreliable
    Let's fill-out these lists with verified info and then bombard KIA with complaints...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

Wireless AA and CarPlay, at least, will require a retrofit if new models ever support it. Those work over WiFi Direct, which would require new WiFi hardware (even if your model already has WiFi).

No car model as of right now supports Wireless Android Auto and BMW are the only ones that support Wireless CarPlay (until VW rolls out the 2020s that do).

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I didn't realize that and was only responding to the endless whinging on here about lack of wireless charging in the US cars. I love it, but it sure wouldn't be a big deal not to have it if you already have to plug your phone in for one of the phone OS connections.

It can be stricken from the list, but let's finalize the rest of the items!

4. donnn

donnn United States Newish Member

I have a question that I cannot find the answer to. If I stop the car and turn off the ignition the NAV still stays on unless I open up the door. is there a way to turn it off so I don't get a battery being discharged warning 10 seconds after the car has been turned off while the NAV screen is still being displayed?

5. edgarciadesign

edgarciadesign United States Member

Check your battery, I know the warning you mention. But I don’t get that for a good minute or so after turning off.

6. edgarciadesign

BTW as a developer I know why they removed Google Search - it cost them more now. Last year Google changed their pricing structure so I am sure they though most people without telematics don’t use it. I wish I knew if 12.5 had Google Search and I would have waited to get a copy of that instead.

If i can find some MP3s this weekend I’ll give it a try and report back.

7. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I've had the same question for c. fourteen months. There does not seem to be an internal "off" switch or button to just shut down the entire thing. You have to open the door. o_O But like Ed Garcia, my warning comes longer than ten seconds, usually a minute or more.

8. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

Use the Concierge number and talk with someone, explaining how removing it makes your Kia Stinger ownership experience less.

9. Chucky

Chucky United States Member

Let me know what changes the update brings

10. CDv6

CDv6 United States Active Member

It's just an unnecessarily naggy warning that you're on battery; it's not saying battery is low. I have no idea why Kia thought it needed to be so prominent. EVERY car drains the battery when you run electronics without the engine running. (BTW, the same warning appears in other Kias and Hyundais; it's not Stinger-specific).

11. donnn

donnn United States Newish Member

Tanks CDv6. I thought that might be the case. The car is only a month old so It should not be a battery problem. now if I can just remember to turn the automatic engine off off when I connect my seatbelt I'll be able to live with all the new electronics.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

It goes away after 15-20 seconds.

13. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Not that fast unless your battery is depleted. The car turns itself (everything) OFF after a few minutes typically. I guess that is the answer: there is no "shut off" aside from opening the door. I've waited up to five minutes, usually less, listening to my music, and the "battery warning" comes on more than once during that time. Then abruptly everything shuts off. Or I can open the door.

14. brassardv

brassardv Canada Newish Member

After update to v13 same thing with google search this feature was the best thing on this system.
    It always find anything with voice command at a simple hit of a button.
    This feature not working anymore but as i understand it have been replace with Online search using Here Map.
    It not so bad cause it search online too.
    But .... for me it working with Online seach and keyboard but it not working at all with voice.
    English/French simple word like Starbuck. nothing.

15. edgarciadesign

We don't even get that option in the US, the search feature is completely gone. No Google maps, No Here Maps. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted