kia stinger store

Jerky Cruise Control?

MikeysGT

I've been dealing with this issue ever since I test drove my car before even buying it, and my salesman played it off, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. FWIW, and I don't know if this could mean an eventual solution as we try to pinpoint the problem, but I recently installed a Borla cat back on my car and have noticed about a 50 percent decrease in the severity of the cruise surges.. could it be partially due to a restriction issue on the stock setup?

Spaceme17

I have also noticed this sometimes. I would not describe it a jerky; seems more like it is hunting a bit.

But most of the time, it is not noticeable to me.

David Mullenix

Newish Member
Same issue! 2020 GT with 1200 miles on it now, started using cruise control around 800 and had that issue constantly. It feels like the car is constantly trying to figure out that last 1 mph to get to the speed you want. It overshoots, then undershoots, then overshoots, etc. I only drove it in eco since noticing the issue. I'll try the other drive modes and see if they're worse...
I’ve noticed that is much more noticeable in sport, it’s a bit more tolerable in comfort and eco, frustrating because I drive a lot for work and really rely on cruise control. This seems to me like something Kia should be able to address and correct pretty easily, I can’t understand how they ignore this.

dkmalloy

Newish Member
Claremore, OK
I've had mine (2020 Stinger GT) for about 2 weeks. Except in heavy traffic, I've always used cruise control on highways in all of my previous vehicles, so I'm quite familiar with how they should behave.
I didn't use CC during my test drive unfortunately. Let me tell you though, I noticed the issue within minutes of leaving the dealership. I can't use cruise at all cause it's so irritating.
It's like riding with someone who can't maintain their speed, is constantly on and off the throttle, and makes your head bobble back and forth... and back and forth... and baaack and forth.
Of all the highly advanced technological features in the auto industry nowadays, how in the hell does a manufacturer manage to screw up something which has been around for decades? Adding to that, how can they seriously not have a solution to the problem or even acknowledge a problem even exists?

Not cool, KIA. Not cool.

MBronze

Minneapolis, MN
I'll add my name to the list of people feeling this annoying "surge" in CC. '18 base model GT with 28k miles on it, yellow if color matters to you. Up hills it's impossible to ignore, so for people saying "I think some people are more sensitive to it than others," although that may be, I think some people's cars are doing it worse than others. Mine is so bad that I don't use the CC unless I'm on completely level ground. Yes it happens in all modes. I've only tried it at highway speeds 70-80 mph.

Kentium

My 2015 Sonata does the same thing. Its smooth as butter when I drive it myself. Initially I thought it was an SCC issue so I started disabling and I still feel the slight repeated lurch \ ping-pong on cruise even on a very flat highway and at any speed. I bought it in January at 30k miles and I think I'm going to have to trade it.

Intense Pillow

Hey everyone! New Stinger owner here and just noticed my 2019 AWD GT having this problem. Anyone find a solution yet?!?! Its driving me crazy over here since I always use cruise control.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Hey everyone! New Stinger owner here and just noticed my 2019 AWD GT having this problem. Anyone find a solution yet?!?! Its driving me crazy over here since I always use cruise control.
I had my stinger for 20 months and after the first few weeks I just never used cruise control again.

rpoffen

California
I have a 2018 Optima (2.4l) also, and am on the Optima forum, but I can't recall seeing a thread about cruise control issues. I used to use the CC a lot on the Optima (before COVID made me work from home), and never noticed any issue. It does not have SCC.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
What I'd like to know is whether other Kia and Hyundai models have this same problem. Is there a generic "Kia" and/or "Hyundai" message board with a large membership? I suspect most people look for a model-specific forum and not a generic brand forum.
Before my Stinger I had a 2017 Optima. No CC issues. But it had adaptive cruise and the Stinger didn't so that may have been a difference. Also had a 2012 Optima once upon a time and it didn't have the issue either.

When I first made this thread I did some googling and found other Kias with similar problems. I think it was on the Sorrento forum. They didn't know of a fix either and Kia offered no resolution.

smokinpetey

New stinger owner, CHRISTMAS present to myself. I notice this on my 19 GT and I've attributed it to this CC holding speed much better than others. It's like its always adjusting in macro vs micro.
I don't notice hard downshifts on uphills with the stinger but I do find it slightly annoying.

Ozstung

Sustaining Member
Western Sydney.
Had the car 3 years and i would discribe the sensation as "Pulsating " it appears if the vehicle struggles to maintain the set speed, but in my case its so minor and is more evident on flat roads when its not under any load.

Will I Am

Newish Member
Only have a little over 1K miles so far, but I have noticed the CC surge as well. I thought I was imagining it. We have 2 other KIA's and neither of them do this. So, I don't think it affects all KIA's. I hope KIA comes up with a ECU flash or a TSB to remedy this. This is the only drivability issue I have found.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Only have a little over 1K miles so far, but I have noticed the CC surge as well. I thought I was imagining it. We have 2 other KIA's and neither of them do this. So, I don't think it affects all KIA's. I hope KIA comes up with a ECU flash or a TSB to remedy this. This is the only drivability issue I have found.
Almost three years since I started this thread and no remedy yet. I wouldn't expect Kia to fix it, ever.

EClapp3

Dayton, OH
I just got a '18 GT2 and tried out CC. I'm glad I never use CC because it was very annoying. Always speed up and down never holding the same speed. On flat highway and up and down grades too. Just wont use the CC.

Someone (I haven't had time today to figure out who) said that Kia admitted to the problem and was working on the car to fix it. Anyone remember the outcome for that Stinger? So, while it has been 3 years, if Kia has recognized the problem, perhaps there is hope after all? I want a Stinger so bad but adaptive cruise control *must* work properly due to my disability. Please Kia, if you have anyone reading this forum, come out with a TSB for this. Please????