Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Jerky Cruise Control?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Kamauxx, Apr 21, 2018.

1. G-692602

G-692602 Guest

My new 2019 is exhibiting this as well when on cruise control.

2. Ucinn

Ucinn United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Mines not that bad, or I'm just used to it now, one or the other. My Yellow GT it was much more noticeable than in the GT2...don't know if it's just me being used to it or there actually is a difference but this one feels a lot less jerky.

3. jsharp4684

jsharp4684 United States Newish Member

Just got done reading all 11+ pages. I have a GTS with 320mi on it and it surges on flat roads and hills. I tried putting it in manual mode, to see if that would help. I also checked it at 65 and 85, seems more noticeable at higher speeds. I'm wondering if it's tip-in or something binding in the throttle body. Before reading the other pages and seeing the datalog, I also wondered if it could be a boost control issue. One or two of the posts mentioned that it got better with miles, which makes me think there might be something binding that gets broke-in eventually. In any case, I make a monthly trip of about 5 hours round-trip and this will be fixed, one way or another.

4. Delbert Denbow

Delbert Denbow United States New Member

I am having the same issue with a 2019 gt w regular non-adaptive cruise. This is obviously a rampant issue.

5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

"When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Why do humans forget this? Rampant issue would be flooding the boards with complaints echoing each other. How many Stinger Forum posters talk about their shitty, jerky, chiropractor-loving cruise control?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. namja

namja Active Member Sustaining Member +

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jsharp4684

jsharp4684 United States Newish Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. PA-GTS

PA-GTS United States New Member

Exactly the same here, a 2019 GTS with non-adaptive cruise that now has over 600 miles on it. Sounds like the same symptoms some others have described. I noticed the surging the first time I used the cruise control on the Interstate, and it has persisted since then. It feels like quick but shallow movements of the accelerator. I agree that it is more noticeable at higher speeds and uphill, although I haven't had opportunity to use cruise on steeper hills/mountains yet. When driving in the same conditions without the cruise set, the car is perfectly smooth (as long as I am), so I suspect it is a function of how the cruise controls speed (throttle position?) rather than some other mechanical issue.

Although annoying to me, my wife hasn't felt it yet, so it must be near the threshold of what different people notice. Reinforcing that, I notice it less often on rough roads where the car is moving around more anyway.

We made our first pass through the dealer today with a "can not duplicate", so I'm interested to hear about any progress others make. While this doesn't ruin the car for me, it is an annoyance that I've never had on any other vehicle.

9. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

Welcome with your very pretty Fed Orange. :thumbup:

I've read on here of annoyances with their particular cruise control (adaptive and non) going away; either because they just get used to them or the jerkiness dissipates over time or probably a combination of both. I'm not surprised that "cannot duplicate" is the outcome of the dealer testing, especially if even your wife doesn't notice it. "Threshold" annoyances are as individual as color perception or opinions about the quality of a sound system (of which we also have numerous discussions about both).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Danny5

Danny5 United States Member

Well, color me impressed! I thought maybe this was all in my imagination, but I am guessing others have noticed it too. Add me to the list of people that experience some surging while using CC. Mine is a GT1 with adaptive CC. I also recently installed an electronic gauge, and have not seen any abnormal readings from boost during the "surging." I wonder if I can monitor throttle position to see if it changes while the computer is driving...

11. PA-GTS

PA-GTS United States New Member

Thanks for the welcome! The orange is what really sealed the deal for my wife; her car, her color choice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Danny5

Danny5 United States Member

Did some experimenting last night on the way home, and the surging is GREATLY minimized by running in ECO. Minimized to the point where I had a hard time feeling it. Something for others to try.

13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

I've (intentionally) tried it in all modes, including Sport, (I rarely use anything but Comfort) and mine is as smooth as silk. It doesn't change between driving modes. It's actually better, in fact, than my Sorento, which I put down to the significant torque increase.

I suspect an issue with some sensor for those that are seeing "jerkiness", but if the dealer won't acknowledge, not sure what else you can do.

Draft saved Draft deleted