1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Buy a MY18 Stinger now or Wait for the MY19 in September ?

Discussion in 'Stingers Down Under' started by D-C, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Hiro

Hiro Japan Newish Member

Hi ADSL,

I ended up paying full price. All up for Snow White pearl in red leather with window tint 65k.

2. ADSL

ADSL Australia Newish Member

Thanks Hiro.

I've purchased a MY19 Stinger GT and it's being delivered to me next week.

Will report back on the features but I do know that it includes the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Tyre Upgrade so far.

3. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Active Member

Welcome aboard ADSL. What colour did you get? Where did you get it from? Any mods other than the factory MY19 updates?

4. ADSL

Thanks CoastGT.
    Colour: Hichroma Red.
    Where: Car broker sourced it in Penrith.
    Accessories: Bi-modal exhaust and rubber floor mats.

5. Coast GT

Nice. I didn’t end up getting bi-modal but I may do in the future. Keep us in the loop with the MY19 features, will be interesting to see the difference

6. Hiro

Hiro Japan Newish Member

Other reported upgrades are stainless steel sill plates in the cargo area
    bezel less screen
    footwell mood lighting

I won't see mine till I get back to aus on October 5th, please take a pic of the bezel less screen for me if you get a chance.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  7. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

You can see pics of the screen by searching online. In the U.S. the Stinger Premium, GT1, and GT2 and 2019 Forte all have the same no-bezel screen.

8. Hiro

Hiro Japan Newish Member

Thanks

I might be misunderstanding but all I see are the same approx half in bezel in every image

9. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

On the screen with bezel there's black plastic surrounding the glass. On the screen without bezel the glass goes from corner to corner but the display isn't stretched from one end to the other so it still shows black surrounding the image.

Here's the screen with bezel.

[​IMG]

And the screen without bezel.

[​IMG]

The new Forte has the same no-bezel screen (even in base trim, I think). The below picture gives you a good illustration of what I mean when I say the screen is all glass with no bezel surround but the actual display doesn't go edge to edge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Hiro

Hiro Japan Newish Member

Thanks heaps for clarifying that for me Kamauxx. I was always under the impression that bezel less meant no surround on the screen at all. Still I think the new screen is an improvement over the old one, even if it’s relatively minor aesthetic improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ADSL

Australian-delivered MY19 Stinger GT (in US = GT2 and in Canada = GT Limited) arrived today.

Pics taken this evening... I was going to associate the pics to statements below but the forum prevents new contributors from doing so...
    • Slowly wearing in the new Michelin PS4 (not PS4S) tyres... Thank you KIA Australia for listening. The road noise is bearly audible within the cabin with the radio off. Very quiet and smooth but the tyres need more time to wear in first...
    • Bi-modal exhaust is really good but still working my way through how the modes open and close it. Haven't tried it in a tunnel yet... ;)
    • The artificial engine sound can be switched off so I can hear the bi-modal exhaust with muted engine noise. So the next thing on the wish list is the "burble and pops". With that said - with the artificial sound and bi-modal exhaust - the sound experience is entertaining inside... for me at least.
    • I'm amazed how much of the front dash, side trim, and rear seats are removed to install the bi-modal exhaust in this generation of vehicles.
    • Looks like we got coasting in eco and smart modes as well but yet to test it.
    • No ISG (Idle Stop and Go) or Heated Steering wheel as per MY18.
    • There is no more inset/bezel for the touchscreen... it's all on the same level...
    • LED foot well lights are nice but haven't tried to attempt to "change the mood" yet.
    • There is a stainless steel luggage sill plates too in the rear hatch lip.
    • Version Info for those interested in comparing with MY18 data...
    Hope this gives some insight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 1:57 AM
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Hiro

Hiro Japan Newish Member

That is some good info and pics, I’m really looking forward to when I get home. Thanks ADSL

13. Bothor

Bothor Australia Newish Member

Interesting you mention burble, my stinger with bimodal has these when the valve is open. Go above 2700rpm so it opens then let off the throttle (even from light throttle) and you get burble.

14. ADSL

Still running it in. I've had it for a day and already put 200 kms on it... just so much fun to drive. :)

I'll be giving that a go this afternoon... will report back.

Thanks for the hint Bothor.

15. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Hi @ADSL, welcome to the forum & Stinger Owners Fraternity & thanks for the report on the updates, enjoy your new ride.
    FYI, I see your based in Sydney, there’s a meet & drive this Saturday if your interested to join some of us, will give you the opportunity to put more running-in time behind the wheel.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 4:20 AM
  16. ADSL

Thank you for the welcome and the offer but I'll be changing my location from Sydney to Canberra this weekend... Moving south for work. Hope you all have fun on the drive.

17. Stinger GT SS

No problem & thanks, enjoy your relocation to Canberra, some good driving roads down there as well, so have fun with the Stinger, I’m sure you will bump into other owners in the ACT as well.

18. Coast GT

Any chance of some pics of the dash in daylight showing where the ambient lighting is (with it turned off) just curious how different the trim is.

19. Coast GT

Looking at the Kia AU website they’re still listing as 2018 Stinger rather than MY19 but they’ve updated the list of features. The GT now has Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, puddle lights, interior mood lighting, and stainless steel luggage area sill plates. Everything else looks the same as the 2018 model. Have to say I’m slightly annoyed that less than 3 months after buying the car it’s been updated, and no mention of any pending updates by the dealer at the time of purchase. If they did it next year I wouldn’t care as much but so close after purchase I may have held off if I’d known.

20. Stinger GT SS

Our forum colleague @FitR6 has interior mood lighting, not sure about the other features you mention, she may confirm these, if not I will check it out on Saturday when we have a meet & drive day.

Draft saved Draft deleted