2021 Kia Stinger refresh: changes and photos

Jayphil

How would increasing displacement improve gas mileage?
The 3.5T SMARTSTREAM engine is not just a 3.3T Lamda II stroked to add .2L, it is an entire new more efficient engine. Air / Water Intercooler, continuously variable valves, internals with less weight and friction etc. So to answer your question increasing to 3.5 do not improve gas mileage but everything else new on that engine do.

Anyway we are not getter that engine in the facelift it seems.

Travis Wills

The 3.5T SMARTSTREAM engine is not just a 3.3T Lamda II stroked to add .2L, it is an entire new more efficient engine. Air / Water Intercooler, continuously variable valves, internals with less weight and friction etc. So to answer your question increasing to 3.5 do not improve gas mileage but everything else new on that engine do.

Anyway we are not getter that engine in the facelift it seems.
While all of those things can make relative fuel economy better adding .2 liters of displacement ALWAYS decreases fuel economy if the compression ratio stays the same.

Those things may help to offset the decrease in fuel economy of the larger displacement but I really doubt that the 3.5 liter turbo engine will produce better fuel economy than the 3.3 turbo engine if they are used on the same vehicle otherwise.

Do you have any fuel economy numbers that suggest the car is more fuel efficient with the larger displacement engine?

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
Here a view of the headlight and full unchanged front end, From the look of the wheels it might be a 2.0t or 2.5T so we do not know if they have made changes to the 3.3T font to deferienciate it. I am saying this because the lower bumper of the 2.0t / exhaust tips seem to be more similar to the current Stinger vs the 3.3T new lower bumper

View attachment 48452
That's clearly a photoshop, and not a very good one at that. Look at the lower fascia.

Chark

Do you have any fuel economy numbers that suggest the car is more fuel efficient with the larger displacement engine?
I recall some statement from Hyundai/Kia engineers that fuel efficiency would be better by about 5%, which would equate to just over another MPG. Still a lot of room for improvement...

Hilleagle

While all of those things can make relative fuel economy better adding .2 liters of displacement ALWAYS decreases fuel economy if the compression ratio stays the same.

Those things may help to offset the decrease in fuel economy of the larger displacement but I really doubt that the 3.5 liter turbo engine will produce better fuel economy than the 3.3 turbo engine if they are used on the same vehicle otherwise.

I think your point is correct, adding capacity to the same design of engine, would require additional fuel to run it, however, there are prior comments stating that the engine we believe (but do not yet know) will replace the current one is of a newer design.

Technology moves on and the design of the inlets, the heads (inlet, exhaust and compression chamber) can have a significant effect on efficiency.

Just have a look at the output and mpg figures of this 3.3 litre motor against a 2.5 litre from any car you like from 15 years ago and I am convinced they will stack up nicely.

It does however, go against the trend of all manufacturers to downsize and use new technology to increase power outputs and gain fuel efficiency (and reduce emissions) through reduced capacity, for the official testing, if not necessarily in real-life.

Travis Wills

This video from about a year ago explains Hyundai's variable timing AND duration. 5% better gas mileage, 4% better HP, 12% reduction in emissions.

new engine technology in 2.5T
There is a 6% increase in displacement so I am not sure how they are going to overcome it especially if they really do increase hp and torque significantly.

I would think that customers would expect at least a 10% increase in hp(~400) before they would really consider taking a loss on their current car and trading it in for a new one.

CeramicGT001

Maryland
Some (semi-potato) quality comparison shots I’ve been able to put together scavenging Instagram. 96D07135-C37E-42EF-B742-922DBCA07CD7.jpeg 73FA87E7-21D6-41FC-9D92-F8315FF70F5D.jpeg

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW

CeramicGT001

Maryland
Are the cosmetic changes just the front and rear lights?
Exterior changes include headlight bulb/running light design (not the actual headlight housing shape), the taillight design, the lower black diffuser is redone as it now has bigger lower reflectors, bigger “fake tips”, more fins, etc. New wheel designs too.

Performance/engine changes include the 2.5t replacing the 2.0t and the 3.3t getting a valved controlled exhaust (not sure if optional or standard)

Interior changes have been spied to be a 10” touchscreen and possibly a full digital gauge cluster (no images of that yet).
That’s all I’ve been able to put together from images and articles.

Attachments

CeramicGT001

Maryland
Love it can't wait to swap taillights when it becomes available.
Since we both have ceramic silver, I’ll let you go at it first then I’ll see if I like it lol.