2021 Kia Stinger refresh: changes and photos

Chark

was it saloon or mule that caught your eye?
from the article:
Changes under the bonnet are more significant. The 2.0-litre turbo petrol and 2.2-litre diesel engines are only available while stocks last and will be dropped in Europe by the time the facelifted Stinger arrives.

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
While everyone is tossing around their opinions, I'd say the best reason for the 3.5 to replace the 3.3 in the Stinger is gas mileage. The CARB and EPA mandates are still pretty tough in spite of Trump having toned them down, and the 3.3 is a pretty thirsty engine. The 3.5 will help get them closer to compliance in the coming years.

And with respect to having lots of 3.3's 'sitting around in crates', Hyundai/Kia know how to plan ahead, and the 3.5 didn't just fall out of the sky. They've known what they were going to do for quite awhile ... we're the ones who don't know.

norinse

While everyone is tossing around their opinions, I'd say the best reason for the 3.5 to replace the 3.3 in the Stinger is gas mileage. The CARB and EPA mandates are still pretty tough in spite of Trump having toned them down, and the 3.3 is a pretty thirsty engine. The 3.5 will help get them closer to compliance in the coming years.

And with respect to having lots of 3.3's 'sitting around in crates', Hyundai/Kia know how to plan ahead, and the 3.5 didn't just fall out of the sky. They've known what they were going to do for quite awhile ... we're the ones who don't know.
Agree with everything. Huyndai/Kia didn’t accidentally make 15,000 extra 3.3 turbos.

Another thing hat makes me think they’ll go 3.5 is that the 2.5T is more or less confirmed. Their 2.0T is aging and they are desperate to be done with it for a number of reasons.

If they go with the 2.5T it’ll be making around 290-310hp, depending. And they’ll probably want a performance boost for the “top” engine too. Could just be a tune on the 3.3T, but I think he’ll just switch over to he 3.5t.

YEH

Better reason is the upcoming harsh European WLTP regs.

Under current Kia line-up emissions level for Europe, Kia would be hit w/ over a billion dollar penalty, which is why Kia (and Hyundai) are rushing more hybrids, PHEVs and BEVs (and why pretty much the entire Genesis lineup will be available w/ an EV variant, starting w/ the eG80).

Wouldn't make sense to keep the 3.3TT as is (the 2.5T upgrade, at least, should be headed for LHD Europe, even if it doesn't make its way to the RHD UK).

Agree with everything. Huyndai/Kia didn’t accidentally make 15,000 extra 3.3 turbos.

Another thing hat makes me think they’ll go 3.5 is that the 2.5T is more or less confirmed. Their 2.0T is aging and they are desperate to be done with it for a number of reasons.
At the same time, H/K has updated the NA 2.0L w/ the Smart-stream tech (which is used in the new Optima, Sonata and other models in Korea and other markets), so while unlikely, it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to do add Smart-stream to the 3.3TT.

But think the more likely scenario is that they are keeping the 3.3TT for another year - until the higher output 3.5TT that is going into the G80 Sport is ready.

If they go with the 2.5T it’ll be making around 290-310hp, depending. And they’ll probably want a performance boost for the “top” engine too. Could just be a tune on the 3.3T, but I think he’ll just switch over to he 3.5t.
The 2.5T is rated for 300 HP in the G80.

While the engine is capable of considerably more output, don't think we'll see any diff. in the output for the G70 and Stinger.

Another engine option (at least for Europe and Korea) is the new 3.0 I6 diesel.

Even tho diesels have been falling out of favor, HMG spent a considerable sum developing the new diesel (many have commented that it's on the level of the German lux makes) and the 2.2L, while fine in something like the Optima, was never suited for a performance-oriented vehicle like the Stinger (perfectly fine w/ the Stinger not having an underpowered emissions special like what VW has w/ the Arteon and Audi w/ the A5 Sportback - even if it keeps the cost of entry, taking into account displacement and CO2 taxes, higher).

Last edited:

Doel

1000 Posts Club!
Birmingham, Al.
What other models does the 3.3L go into? If it's none then it makes zero operational and financial sense to manufacture two separate engines for the Stinger and the G70.
K9 and G90 also use it.

I doubt we get a new engine. The Lamda II in the Stinger is only a few years old. Doesn’t make fiscal sense to trash it after all that R&D to make it. We might see a small 10 hp bump or something but nothing drastic. The only times I’ve seen a mid cycle refresh get a new engine is when the car is released with an older engine or if there are significant issues with the original.

PMR818

Los Angeles
When will they give us the throaty V8 we all want? I kid, sort of. Also I was kind of hoping that the car gets discontinued so that our cars *possibly* increase in value over time considering how much of a cult hit this car seems to be (not saying it would be plausible, just saying it's a possible outcome like aliens invading earth ;)

Very cool if they keep updating the car of course. Maybe our first models will be mythologized like the E46 BMW M3.

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
When will they give us the throaty V8 we all want? I kid, sort of. Also I was kind of hoping that the car gets discontinued so that our cars *possibly* increase in value over time considering how much of a cult hit this car seems to be (not saying it would be plausible, just saying it's a possible outcome like aliens invading earth ;)

Very cool if they keep updating the car of course. Maybe our first models will be mythologized like the E46 BMW M3.
Careful what you wish for. If the Stinger were discontinued, its value would drop big-time. What you're talking about would take decades, if ever.

PMR818

Los Angeles
Haha I got time...but patience is a different story!

Sabs

Arizona, USA
Wireless Apple CarPlay seems like a likely addition to the 2021 since it's standard on the K5.

The K5 also has the Drive Video Record System which is a built-in dashcam feature.

It'll be interesting to see if both of these features make their way to the Stinger, though there's no indication one way or another yet.

SKStinger

Stinger Enthusiast
Wireless Apple CarPlay seems like a likely addition to the 2021 since it's standard on the K5.

The K5 also has the Drive Video Record System which is a built-in dashcam feature.

It'll be interesting to see if both of these features make their way to the Stinger, though there's no indication one way or another yet.
Wireless CarPlay is standard on the K5 but if you option the 10.25” display it becomes wired. So if the Stinger gets the big display I’m thinking it will be wired as well.

SKStinger

Stinger Enthusiast
What possible logic is there in that?
Yep. Pretty lame. Could be because they rushed the K5 for the US market and so it lacks features the Korean one gets, including the digital dash cluster. Same thing they did with the ‘18 Stinger in the US that was lacking wireless charging and 360 camera.

Sabs

Arizona, USA
What possible logic is there in that?
If that ends up being the case, my guess is it’d be because the 10.25” is an older system shared with the Telluride and other models. The smaller unit in the K5 must be all new. So, cost savings to Kia if that ends up being the case. Though either Hyundai or Kia can’t be far from another update to their largest infotainment. A number of Genesis models are coming out soon and they’ll want to have the latest and greatest for those.

SKStinger

Stinger Enthusiast
If that ends up being the case, my guess is it’d be because the 10.25” is an older system shared with the Telluride and other models. The smaller unit in the K5 must be all new.
Yeah that’s a possibility too.

Chark

My beef with the K5 is that you can't get the premium stereo (Bose 12-speaker system) on anything but the EX and GT trims (as an upgrade package, not standard). But in a boneheaded decision, AWD is not offered on either of those trims. My interest in a K5 just dwindled to practically zero...
(The new Bronco, however... LOL)

Kimberly Lazarski

Maine

Does it also support Wireless Android Auto? Google is reportedly getting a lot of OEMs on board with wireless AA for the 2021 model year.