2021 Kia Stinger refresh: changes and photos

Rynil2000

Cumming, GA
I actually like it, muffler tips are a bit big but I like the modern look of the refresh. Eager to hear the variable exhaust if they have done better than the Australian version.
There's a video in the link to the blog, but they do have some clips of the exhaust. It doesn't sound amazing to me.

Jayphil

From the spy shot pictures the 2.5t will keep current size exhaust tips but still move to the new tail light. Like I said I like the modern look of the new tail light but I was actually liking more the 3D or depth of the current one.

CeramicGT001

Maryland

SafetyPilotCal

I'm okay with the tail lights. I like them. But I have no idea what's going on with that exhaust, though. It looks absurd when you can see the real tiny exhaust inside.

Gtecko

Stinger Enthusiast
Halifax, NS
those exhaust tips are ridiculous.... why so large lol a watermelon could fit in there

DEMO

Newish Member
Illinois
I don't mind the rear end refresh. The part I find the most intriguing is the interior updates. A 10" screen and quilted leather pique my interest in the 2021.

leecm

Murfreesboro, TN
I like the new taillights over the current ones. I just think the red bridge across the current lights is ugly because it isn't functional. The taillights of the my18-20 would look better if they weren't connected by the red plastic piece. If the rear blinker is sequential I'll like the new assembly even more.

Edit - just watched that Korean video and they are sequential. sweet. I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the new tail lights in a my19 GT2:laugh:

CeramicGT001

Maryland
Nothing from that photo has me dying to run to my dealer to swap my 2018. I'm interested to see how the front looks though.
I think the front only changed the headlight led design...not sure what they’ve done with the hood scoops if anything.
I like the new taillights over the current ones. I just think the red bridge across the current lights is ugly because it isn't functional. The taillights of the my18-20 would look better if they weren't connected by the red plastic piece. If the rear blinker is sequential I'll like the new assembly even more.

Edit - just watched that Korean video and they are sequential. sweet. I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the new tail lights in a my19 GT2:laugh:
I had this thought way back when they speculated the 21s would have a full rear lightbar. I’m sure someone will make/market a conversion kit.

Endlessly

Newish Member
I actually like it, muffler tips are a bit big but I like the modern look of the refresh. Eager to hear the variable exhaust if they have done better than the Australian version.
It's a modern look? Am I alone in thinking it looks old fashioned? Having the three colors separated and layered makes me think of older cars. Are there examples of other modern cars that use 3 different colors and separate them uniformly? Also the pixelated look of the yellow makes it look older to me too.

I'm personally not happy with it. It puts me in a difficult position to decide if I'll get one at all. Maybe I'll get the current one near the end of the year, but that may be unsatisfying knowing I will miss out on new features. Hopefully it looks better in person or it grows on me, but this is disappointing since I don't think I EVER saw people say the back of the car looks ugly. In fact it often seemed to be what people said they loved.

Sabs

Arizona, USA
Here's the updated headlamp.

Capture.PNG

I think the new rear looks pretty good. I'll have to see a better shot of the diffuser and exhaust. I like that they didn't mess with the bumper much, if at all.

The sequential turn signals are nice. I wouldn't say I like the light bar better, but they had to do something to differentiate from the outgoing model, and it does look closer to current trends. It seems they've looked at what higher-end brands are doing with full-width light bars and sequential signals and did their own take on it.

Some inspiration may have been drawn from Audi and Porsche.

Capture1.PNG

2020-Audi-RSQ8-025-designline-rear_624x1078.jpg

leecm

Murfreesboro, TN
I actually wonder if the sequential blinkers will be released in the US. Arent there laws dictating that a specific percentage has to be illuminated in each step of a sequential turn signal?

Sabs

Arizona, USA
Yes, each separate lamp of the turn signal must be at least 3.4 sq. inches in the US. Hard to tell how big each section is in the video.

Jayphil

Here a view of the headlight and full unchanged front end, From the look of the wheels it might be a 2.0t or 2.5T so we do not know if they have made changes to the 3.3T font to deferienciate it. I am saying this because the lower bumper of the 2.0t / exhaust tips seem to be more similar to the current Stinger vs the 3.3T new lower bumper

kia-stinger-facelift-leaked-front.jpg

SKStinger

Stinger Enthusiast
Well no point updating my lights to the facelift version. I prefer the original front and rear to this by far.

Travis Wills

While everyone is tossing around their opinions, I'd say the best reason for the 3.5 to replace the 3.3 in the Stinger is gas mileage. The CARB and EPA mandates are still pretty tough in spite of Trump having toned them down, and the 3.3 is a pretty thirsty engine. The 3.5 will help get them closer to compliance in the coming years.

And with respect to having lots of 3.3's 'sitting around in crates', Hyundai/Kia know how to plan ahead, and the 3.5 didn't just fall out of the sky. They've known what they were going to do for quite awhile ... we're the ones who don't know.
How would increasing displacement improve gas mileage?