2020 Stinger Rumors

Sabs

Arizona, USA
These are not new to me.
Agreed. New article, old photos.
These are new photos as of the past week. For some reason this car is not being tested with the new wheels, headlights, or taillights. My guess is they want to do high speed aero testing, where the mirrors will come in to play (but new headlight and taillight internals don't). The key here is that the tester in the new photos is in Germany as seen from the plates - all the past ones were spotted in Korea. Could be Autobahn or Nurburgring testing. Manufacturers typically begin testing on their own test tracks, then public roads in the surrounding areas, and finally in distant areas to undergo more extreme use cases.

Could be you're thinking of a red test car from here or here, both from months back but in Korea with the current model's mirrors.

Last edited:

SKStinger

Stinger Enthusiast
These are new photos as of the past week. For some reason this car is not being tested with the new wheels, headlights, or taillights. My guess is they want to do high speed aero testing, where the mirrors will come in to play (but new headlight and taillight internals don't). The key here is that the tester in the new photos is in Germany as seen from the plates - all the past ones were spotted in Korea. Could be Autobahn or Nurburgring testing. Manufacturers typically begin testing on their own test tracks, then public roads in the surrounding areas, and finally in distant areas to undergo more extreme use cases.

Could be you're thinking of a red test car from here or here, both from months back but in Korea with the current model's mirrors.
Maybe. It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me to test basically the same car with new mirrors, especially when the mirrors are very similar in shape to our current ones. Maybe they decided to scrap the new headlights and tail lights? I wasn't a fan so that may have been the consensus.

Sabs

Arizona, USA
Maybe. It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me to test basically the same car with new mirrors, especially when the mirrors are very similar in shape to our current ones. Maybe they decided to scrap the new headlights and tail lights? I wasn't a fan so that may have been the consensus.
I think one of that particular mule's goals was to test mirrors with the blind spot cameras. They've already done a lot of testing with the new headlights and taillights. It costs a lot of money to outfit prototype parts to a test mule, so sometimes they'll only test with certain parts.

Even very minor changes to mirrors can make a big difference with wind noise at high speed. Note the small ridges on the inner edge of the current mirrors. They're called "vortex generators" and were added to either reduce drag or wind noise. Little things like that need to be tested before mass production.

P22Tyler

Murray, Utah
In the K900, the gauge displays (tach or speedometer) show the left or right blind spots respectively. It does not show on the multimedia display.
It's the same in the Telluride and Palisade as well. Although on the Telluride currently I think it just shows in the center screen in the cluster.

VEDI

New article by a reasonably trustworthy source says no engine changes for the Australian RHD market... doesn't rule out changes in other markets.

carsguide.com.au/car-news/new-kia-stinger-2021-no-engine-changes-for-aussie-model-79040
(Can't post links yet)

AU missed out on things like AWD and AWD-D, so changes in other markets wouldn't be unexpected - especially LHD.

Ozstung

Sustaining Member
Western Sydney.
New article by a reasonably trustworthy source says no engine changes for the Australian RHD market... doesn't rule out changes in other markets.

carsguide.com.au/car-news/new-kia-stinger-2021-no-engine-changes-for-aussie-model-79040
(Can't post links yet)

AU missed out on things like AWD and AWD-D, so changes in other markets wouldn't be unexpected - especially LHD.
Welcome to the hive , what part of Sydney? And colour trim combo?

eflyguy

2500 Posts Club!
Georgia, USA
The 2020 model has been out in the USA and other countries for many months now, I'm not sure why there's so much debate here. I would think you'd be more interested in the 2021 model (there is an existing discussion on that..)

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
The 2020 model has been out in the USA and other countries for many months now, I'm not sure why there's so much debate here. I would think you'd be more interested in the 2021 model (there is an existing discussion on that..)
We're a bit behind here in Australia. Just give us time to catch up. :laugh: