Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

2018 Stinger Recall - Wire Harness May Be Damaged By Fender

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by Kamauxx, Nov 6, 2018.

1. dlsimon

dlsimon United States New Member

I'm kind of in a similar situation - I dropped my car off for service after hours, and after hearing about the car being held due to backorder part on this notice I went over to grab some things from my car after they looked at it and moved it. I've got scratches covering my hood now that weren't there.

Not sure how to prove the scratches weren't there when I dropped it off (after hours), so we'll see how liability works out on this one. Also, no idea how long they'll have my car as I'm like the 7th car or so they have held for this recall.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

You really need to go get your car that is being held hostage. As someone said, you have the other key? Go somewhere else unless they give you a valid safety reason why the car should not even be driven. Period. It IS your car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

This shouldn't be a "safety" issue. One fire attributed to the shorted out harness. One. Attributed. But one is all it takes. Heh! The worst that can happen (discounting a fire) is the car will bog down or even quit altogether.

4. MikeysGT

MikeysGT United States Member

Wtf are you SERIOUS?! They won't release your car to you over a 3 dollar piece of plastic?! I would see if you can get that in writing because that sounds like utter BS to me. What about the millions and millions of cars affected by the Takata air bag recall? You don't see millions of cars sitting around in lots due to the extreme back log of replacements needed for that mess and people are literally dying because of that recall. Go in there and demand your car back and use that as a bargaining chip, or lie to them and say you found the part at another dealership who is willing to fix it for you. I have even personally declined recall service at other dealers in the past. They said "ok, whenever you're ready, just come in back and we'll get it fixed". I am angry for you in this situation.

Edit: Also, aren't all safety recalls voluntary and not mandatory anyway??? It wasn't until a year or two ago that rental agencies were even required to fix vehicle recalls.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

KIA has demanded the dealers not to release vehicles that have a known issue, that could result in injury/death. The dealer has their hands tied, it's called a "vehicle ground".

What would you do if your kid or wife took a vehicle in and the dealer released the vehicle knowing it had a potential defect, and something horrible happened?

The engine recall was a tough one for sure, we had to tell people you can't take your car home today, nearly everyday since KMA (Kia Motors America) screwed up the engine part numbers and ordering system.

6. NoVAGT2

NoVAGT2 United States Active Member

What's weird is that I just had the recall work done, and the service guy had warned it might have to be done in two parts. I would take it in for inspection, and have to bring it back if it needed the harness as they are on backorder. Fortunately, they only had to replace the grommet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

If someone takes their car in for a non-recall related issue will they still keep the car?

8. Callum

It's up to the dealer, when they run the VIN it will pop up. We had customers roll in for an oil change, or other concern and we grounded their vehicle. Given, the engine recall on the Optima's was a more severe safety recall. It really depends if the adviser runs the VIN through KGIS.

If they don't bring it up or flag the VIN you could probably roll out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MerlintheMad

I'm not processing any of this ludicrous crap. What kind of sue crazy world is this? I OWN my car, I'm not leasing it. If anyone tried to impound/"ground" my car fur would fly. It could end in tears.

10. Callum

I'm in the same boat here sir. However can you imagine if the news outlets found out that the auto manufacture was cool letting unsafe vehicles back out on the road? I like to think of it as damage control for them, and a inconvenience to the buyers

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Sounds like a massive miscommunication within Kia if one or two dealers are in effect impounding cars. Mine was as relaxed about it as if it was for a leaky window. In fact, I was told that I could drive the car without issue. Have there been more serious issues not reported?? You are correct, we OWN our cars. Something here is extremely bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. N8OHR

N8OHR United States New Member

I would like to make an observation. Based on the recall bulletin posted on pg 2 i think some dealers are misinterpreting the first notice on the bottom of pg1 which states: "...Under applicable law, you may not sell or otherwise deliver any affected vehicle until it has been repaired pursuant to the procedures set forth in this bulletin." I believe some dealers are taking this too far and assuming liability for cars that have already been sold & delivered previous to this recall bulletin. A reasonable person reading the aforementioned would interpret it to mean sales/deliveries of vehicles after the bulletin had been posted. Otherwise the dealer would need to impound every vehicle that was affected by this or any similar bulletins that they ever sold! This would be clearly ridiculous plus where are they gonna put all these cars? Don't forget there are other vehicles besides the Stinger that are similarly affected.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ucinn

Ucinn United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

I took mine in yesterday for this recall. They had to order the wiring harness. (first they've had to replace) They gave me my car and said they will call when it comes in. I didn't look but assuming they probably put the grommet in and taped up the harness until the new one comes in.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mjcavalo

mjcavalo United States Newish Member

Any chance the dealer might take off the fender liner for this recall repair?
    i had my car in a few weeks ago for this recall, an oik change & to look at the rotors (which they ended up replacing under warranty this week.) The day after I got it home from the rotor replacement, the passenger fender liner flew off while I was driving. It cracked the bumper when it came off. They are trying to say I did it (I curbed the wheel and there's some paint scrapes on the underside of the bumper from pulling in too close to a high parking curb). They are telling me they didn't take the fender liner off to do the rotor replacement, but I'm wondering if they might have taken it off 2 weeks prior when they did the recall work.

15. tprize

tprize United States Newish Member

So I called Kia, and they did confirm they could not return the vehicle because it was unsafe. They provided me with a rental, compensated me for the loss of use, and took very good care of me as a customer. Got the car back. Was the best recall experience I’ve had, and was vastly different then when I had an issue with my Jeep. I’m glad Kia is taking this premium car experience seriously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  16. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

Nope, its under the hood. Just pop out the ECU and push in the rubber grommet.

17. MerlintheMad

No. The work on the harness is all open hood from above.

18. Stinger305

Stinger305 United States Member

Just had this done on my car. Scheduled a week in advance online, with the recall service already planned. Dropped my car off for an oil change and less than 2 hours later it was ready with the new front wiring harness. (They also did the ECU replacement recall).

19. Arnie War

Arnie War Canada Active Member

I never heard that their was a ECU recall before , has anyone one else heard about that ???

20. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor Texas Stinger Swarm

Draft saved Draft deleted