kia stinger store

2018 Stinger Recall - Wire Harness May Be Damaged By Fender

Metalmania82

Stinger Enthusiast
Reading, PA
I got a grommet and no harness. They had both in stock.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I got a grommet and no harness. They had both in stock.
Hmm. Memory serves me … sketchily. :rolleyes: I REMEMBER going back for the harness. Now I'm unsure. But that's how my dealer works: they order the parts and call when the parts are in.

Correct me: the harness issue is solved by covering the wheel well hole with a grommet so that there will be no rubbing in the future: but the harness is only replaced if it is showing any signs of wear through the wires. So, most Stingers did not receive a new harness, because most harnesses were not showing signs of rubbing through the wires. Is that correct?

Rob M

Maryland, USA
Hmm. Memory serves me … sketchily. :rolleyes: I REMEMBER going back for the harness. Now I'm unsure. But that's how my dealer works: they order the parts and call when the parts are in.

Correct me: the harness issue is solved by covering the wheel well hole with a grommet so that there will be no rubbing in the future: but the harness is only replaced if it is showing any signs of wear through the wires. So, most Stingers did not receive a new harness, because most harnesses were not showing signs of rubbing through the wires. Is that correct?
Correct. If the wiring harness is not touching the fender apron panel they just install the grommet. If visual inspection reveals that the wiring harness is contacting the fender apron panel a few more steps are required to be able to access the harness and visually inspect and determine whether the wiring has been damaged. If there is damage to the harness, the dealer has to open a Techline case online and not proceed with claim submission until wire harness replacement approval or denial is determined. It is likely relatively few Stingers needed to have the harness replaced. I will ask the dealer what they actually did once my Stinger is ready (on day 2 they left a message stating the recall was complete, but they are also replacing the front rotors and diagnosing auto start/stop issue).