Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Turbo Waste Gate Screech

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Jbug, Aug 15, 2018.

1. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Two things, it will actually make them do what they need to do, with out cutting corners (due to what was shown on the video, extreme caution is needed, IF they end up working on the car)

Second, it's more of a benefit to the community than anything else. It will help us get a better understanding of how the turbos are setup and maybe we will be able to figure out what kind of turbos were used for the 3.3, plus where other hoses and sensors are located.

2. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

I would demand the dealer start up and shut down one of the same model Stingers on their lot and compare! Hold your ground!

3. Jbug

Jbug United States Member

I have an appointment with the GM from the dealership on Friday. I’ll see what he has to say in detail and of course I will negotiate compensation for my troubles. If it sounds good cool, if not it will be a PR nightmare when I take it to local news. Twitter, FB, Yelp, google, and all video media will be blasted. Balls in their court. Not my fault someone shot themselves in the foot.

I’ll keep you all posted.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Ive been considering a dashcam for a while, this thread has sold me on it. What model cam do you have OP?

5. Jbug

upload_2018-8-15_20-0-45.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jbug

Of course there are better ones. This one goes over your existing mirror. They didn’t even see it. This ones 80$

But get one with parking mode cause this one only works when the car is on.

7. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

My only concern with spamming social media with this is that you are screwing all of Kia because of the actions of one stupid dishonest (no longer) service advisor. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You're also screwing every one of us who owns a Stinger if you do that.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. NS_Stinger

Thanks! What does parking mode do exactly?

9. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

jbug, I don't know for sure but the guy who got fired could potentially get all lawyered up and I'm worried you might be in for an illegal/unlawful surveillance issue. Dashcams are fine out in public (in the USA), but this was inside a private facility.

I know the news folks have used them to prove oil change places were ripping off customers but the news folks have bigger pockets than most of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Perhaps my post was misinterpreted. I have no problem whatsoever in using a dash-cam. I'm putting one on my GT2. I have no problem with sending the video to Kia or to the GM of the dealership. But to spam this as a "typical" Kia service department attitude is not fair to Kia or the other legitimate dealers out there. Kia never denied that there was a problem or a solution. The fix is up to Kia to determine if the problem is one of simple lubrication or replacement. If the shop doesn't know how to fix it, that's what Kia engineering is for.

I used to spend time on the phone with BMW and GM engineers trouble-shooting problems when I ran a service department. If my techs didn't know how to fix something, it was on the factory. All I'm saying is that this is a singular incident involving one stupid, dishonest service advisor who was too #$@! lazy to ask for help so he lied about checking other cars and planned to lie to a customer about what he didn't know how to fix. To get pissed off and tell the world that Kia service departments are trash is unfair, especially to those departments that are doing the right things and upgrading their facilities and attitudes toward customers.

You have to remember that up to this point, Kia has been known as increasingly excellent but economical and low priced alternatives to other brands like Toyota and Nissan and Honda selling similar stuff. Those buyers are very different from performance car buyers of more upscale cars and are usually all about monthly payments and how cheaply they can get by on maintenance costs. Kia is trying to establish the Stinger as a quality upscale GT. Generically trashing one bad service advisor as representative of all Kia service departments is unfair. As it can negatively affect sales of new Stingers, it also affects resale and trade-in value of existing owners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jbug

12. Jbug

No this would be the local dealership not Kia. Keywords, titles, and tags on posts or videos would be my dealership name and from a customer service point of view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. eflyguy

Correct, but those people are seen as the face of the corporation and their actions do reflect on it.

Put another way - I'm in a high tech, customer facing industry. If a customer saw me doing something offensive or unethical, they would absolutely have a negative opinion of my employer, despite the fact that every employee has to take training and sign code of conduct agreements.

14. Jbug

I’m aware of the TWO PARTY CONSENT ACT through my sister’s law firm. Keyword is INTENT. It wasn’t my intent to film. Now if I came in with a camcorder with the intent to film, then I would need whoever is in the film their permission.

This is a service and this is my private property in a public servicing center. The dash did what it’s supposed to do and that’s to protect me and my property.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jbug

It films when the car is off. It only records when the sensor on camera detects motion.

16. eflyguy

Got it. Like I said, I don't know for sure - looks like you're in good hands with your sister! :)

17. Jbug

Ya someone mentioned that on the Stinger FB group. So I had to ask my sister about it. That’s why we post this stuff to help each other become aware.

I did forget to mention the Two Party consent varies state to state. In my case I’m in CA.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Actually, mine makes this squeak when shutting off as well (both from ISG (Idle Stop and Go) and shutting down) since the day I bought it. I thought it was normal, as it goes away once the engine has reached operating temperatures.

Are we 100% sure this is a "problem"? Of course, now that I have an intake, I can't wait for my dealership to blame the intake :rolleyes:

19. Jbug

I have a feeling this wastegate May be a common issue. I’m seeing other posts onFB with similar sounds.

20. NS_Stinger

I'm almost positive I have the exact same noise, I listened for it when i shut the car off tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted